Wood splitter

Help Support CattleToday:

Med

Reaction score
I bought a used wood splitter from a friend.It is a really heavy duty homemade model that is made good snd strong.I am having a problem with getting the engine to run to suit me. The engine doesn"t want to really go unless the choke is on.What could be my problem? The splitter has been sitting in a shed for a couple of years not being used. I put in fresh gas and it fired right up but only wants to run with the choke closed all the way. Any ideas ?

If it has been sitting that long without sta-bil (sp), put a kit in the carb, and it will be fine.
Mac

I agree that it is likely a jet plugged. You might also check the gasket between the carburetor and the intake. The gasket may have dried up and is allowing air to be sucked in behind the carburetor. That would result in a leaner mixture that would warrant the choke to be used to richen the mixture. I could be wrong but just something to look at.

Everything everyone said is on the money. You might try a little Berryman's b-12 but that can eat up some gaskets and such. Berryman's is the lazy way out. It can sometimes clean everything that gives you problems.

If there is the polution control system that meets California requirements, take the hose off between the exhuast and carb. Replace it with two small hoses that are plugged on either end. You can screw a bolt in the hose ends to plug them. That will stop the continuous plug fouling. I've got a trash pump that will not run at all anymore with the polution control system. Once I plugged the lines on that motor, it cranks every time on the first pull and it has a whole bunch of hours on it.

If you can't get the motor working, hook that splitter up to your tractor remote hydraulics. You'll probably have better pressure anyway by doing that. Leave the detent valve engaged and use the controls on the splitter.

My woodsplitter gets a little sluggish from time to time, I just take her a thermos of hot cocoa.

cfpinz

Latest posts