Wood Posts and Barbed wire-Another way to do it

Help Support CattleToday:

Red bull Breeder and Msscamp, ya'll need to try driving steeples in seasond bodark. You will quickly change your mind about the first two staples. Drilling would be a lot easier. After bending about 20 of them.

Cal

Calman":2ydjrlv9 said:
Red bull Breeder and Msscamp, ya'll need to try driving steeples in seasond bodark. You will quickly change your mind about the first two staples. Drilling would be a lot easier. After bending about 20 of them.

Cal

I was thinking the same thing. You would have to drill pilot holes just a hair smaller then the staple to get it in. We have some 80 year old cured oak that I have to do that with, and sometimes it still doesn;t work.

I have done it before don't no why i can't do it agin. Dun you a Calman ain't the only ones to ever see a bodark post. Although we do have more black locust around here.

we drive steaples in bordark post all the time.an they can be a booger driving steaples in.

Red Bull Breeder":3r19zikc said:
I have done it before don't no why i can't do it agin. Dun you a Calman ain't the only ones to ever see a bodark post. Although we do have more black locust around here.

Didn't say it couldn't be done,in fact driving a steeple while it's still green is easy. I was meaning it's easier to drill than to try to staple 5 wires to a seasond bodark. Usally you have to beat on the steeple so much by the time ya got the last one in your arms are about to fall off,you've bent a bunch of steeples and you've beat on the post so much you've loosend it in the ground.
Thats always my experience anyhow. But ya'll might possibly know a trick I don't. :nod: :nod:
Besides all that I haven't used a wood post in years. Like BHB said they burn too easy.
Last fire I replaced 72 burnt ones with T-posts. Drive them in the ground with the tractor bucket and put a wire clip around them. Not too much arm work or mashed thumbs.

Cal

Calman":g4ngk2sl said:
Red Bull Breeder":g4ngk2sl said:

Didn't say it couldn't be done,in fact driving a steeple while it's still green is easy. I was meaning it's easier to drill than to try to staple 5 wires to a seasond bodark. Usally you have to beat on the steeple so much by the time ya got the last one in your arms are about to fall off,you've bent a bunch of steeples and you've beat on the post so much you've loosend it in the ground.
Thats always my experience anyhow. But ya'll might possibly know a trick I don't. :nod: :nod:
Besides all that I haven't used a wood post in years. Like BHB said they burn too easy.
Last fire I replaced 72 burnt ones with T-posts. Drive them in the ground with the tractor bucket and put a wire clip around them. Not too much arm work or mashed thumbs.

Cal

You think like my Dad, he aint used a wooden post since I can remember.

Msscamp, would you like me to mail you a small piece of hardwood to try nailing or stapling? :lol:

I left a 4x4 post in my timber rack for a couple of years (thats 2) before I got around to using it. Well we concreted that post in with a few other new ones for a chicken coop, and a nailgun couldn't even put a nail in it. Thats a stanley bostich framing gun that drives those 3" nails, and they would go in mabey 1/4" at most.

The other posts worked fine, as they were fresh from the sawmill.