Wood Fence Post Design

Help Support CattleToday:

GaryDG

Reaction score
My question concerns the design of two wood fence components.

Assume I am using 4x4's or 4x6's

Does anyone have a design or picture for a gate post that is to support a gate? Obviously, the simple solution is to dig the hole place the post in the hole and backfill with concrete. I have seen solutions where a second post is placed in the ground a couple feet away from the gate post and a board is placed between them. I understand this adds strength to the gate post so the gate post dosen't sag. Does anyone have pictures or a design diagram they can pass along?

I have a similar question concerning the design of a cornerpost.

Thanks all!

Gates exert a lot of stress on the hinge post. For a 12 to 16' long gate need another post about 8 feet from the gate post with a diagonal brace from top of hinge post to bottom of the 2nd post. Of course if the "fence" part has posts every 8 to 10' and boards nailed onto the posts, this will help stabilize hinge post greatly. [Same principles apply to welded pipe fences].

Think in terms of "leverage" also. Just a single concrete set post for a hinge post will not hold the gate horizontal. Also, lot depends on type of soil one has.

Look at some established fences, gates installed on rural property for some ideas.

I put a piece of 4"angle iron on the post opposite the hinge. I rest the end of the gate on this to keep the weight from constantly pulling on the hinges. that way the gate is sitting on 2 post with weight strait down, not on the side of 1 post.

Jake>
Not sure how to reply specifically to you but the website you cited requires a Canadian address. Is there a comparable US site. The link was on point, though - thanks

Some of the picture sequences take a long time to load on dial-up, but the pictures are pretty self explanatory,

http://www.uwrf.edu/grazing/fencingpix.html

We use H braces for all posts that will have swinging/hinged gates hanging on them and floating braces for all other corners and ends.

dun

GaryDG":14mzfleh said:
Jake>
Not sure how to reply specifically to you but the website you cited requires a Canadian address. Is there a comparable US site. The link was on point, though - thanks

not that I know of... I just ran across the site one day and book marked it because it has some good designs...

dun":kil2kchb said:
Some of the picture sequences take a long time to load on dial-up, but the pictures are pretty self explanatory,

http://www.uwrf.edu/grazing/fencingpix.html

We use H braces for all posts that will have swinging/hinged gates hanging on them and floating braces for all other corners and ends.

dun

I like those pictures. Reminds me of out power crews around here. During recvery after the hurricanes you would see one guy work and 3-4 stand and watch :lol: I understand these were taken at a demo or class by looks of it.

Latest posts