wood ash 4 lime &fert

Help Support CattleToday:

Redman

Reaction score
I have a biomass plant in my town that uses wood chips for fuel and lots and lots of ash they want to give a way .The plant may even deliever it in live bottom tailer to the farm .the only way i have to spread it is a loader tractor and 7ft box blade this should work ok in the feilds we plant millet (summer) oats &rye (winter) But i am not sure how well this would work for pasture & hay feilds I Google searched wood ash and found 2 good articles 1 from Clemson 1 from stockman grass farmer 1.5 to 2 tons woodash = 1 ton of lime Clemson says woodash grows 45% more grass than lime. Any thoughts ? thanks Redman

Each ton spread should also give you 30 lbs on P and 140 lbs of K. This will vary with species but should be close.

Redman":7g62ljje said:
I have a biomass plant in my town that uses wood chips for fuel and lots and lots of ash they want to give a way .The plant may even deliever it in live bottom tailer to the farm .the only way i have to spread it is a loader tractor and 7ft box blade this should work ok in the feilds we plant millet (summer) oats &rye (winter) But i am not sure how well this would work for pasture & hay feilds I Google searched wood ash and found 2 good articles 1 from Clemson 1 from stockman grass farmer 1.5 to 2 tons woodash = 1 ton of lime Clemson says woodash grows 45% more grass than lime. Any thoughts ? thanks Redman
do you have anyone in the area that spreads lime they would be able to spread it in their lime trucks

Redman":2fw9udum said:

So, how much per acre will you need? Knowing this might help to figure the best way to apply it. The manure spreader idea might be good depending on how much is needed but then again, the ash might suspend in the air too long. Liquifying it might work better - cattle trough on trailer - trash pump with spray hose? Or possibly getting hold of a dump truck and drive it over the pasture with the bed slightly raised. Pull type dump trailers can be rented. That free ash sounds like a heck of a resource!!!

My fields ph is 5.6 to 6.4 I plan on puttin 2 to3.5 tons per arce .I helped a neighbor put sludge on a cut out sod feild with a box blade put two big dump truck loads on about 3 arces one afternoon this shold be ok for the rye fields I am going to disk before we plant any how. I will try to rent or borrow big pull behind spreader to spread the pasture and hay fields.I brought home a wagon load of ash 3weeks ago spread on test plot looks greener already has had 2 little rains about 3/4inch total thanks again redman

Latest posts