Wondering

Help Support CattleToday:

Well you know, i know from seeing movies of the depression it was terrible and thoes people who survied it had to of been tuff. No doubt you could never put yourself in their shoes and even begin to feel the pain they went through.

The worse thing for me during that time was not being able to provide for my family like i should have. Because i am not a lazy person and i am use to work, more than willing to work, work of any kind.

But that made me feel about as worthless as anyone could be. If i had of only had to of taken care of myself during that time. It would have been one thing. But when you have to live with your family and more or less be a free loader on them to have a place to live for you and your wife and new born daughter.

That is about as bad as it gets. I think having the people like your wife and kids who depend on you to take care of them go through that. And you not being able to do nothing about it is the worse thing a man can possibilly go through. And alot of men & women had to watch as that happened with their familys during the depression and resession years.

I hope nobody ever has to go through that.

I kinda pissed away my first oportunity to get an education from 81 to 84. I was a DA.

Dad said enough was enough and so i came home to work in the factories that where growing at the time. Third shift was rough for me.

I grew up and matured during the next 4 years and met my wife and the mother of my chidren. I asked my dad for some help in finshing my education and he was onboard.

i've seen my parents save a dime and my granparents save a penny.

i was told by a buddy that you got to have hard skills if times turn bad.

i believe what he said.

When the wife and I got married I cleared 52 dollars a week, that paid rent, utilities, groceries well everything. That won't buy a sack of groceries today or a tank of fuel today.

We still run cattle the way things the way yall are describing. :D No cubes, no feed, cows have to hustle, #1 medication is lead, still got the FORD 5000...

From what I was told, one gradfather sold off land to get through it and the other had diversified sources of income (commercial fishing, oil and gas, ect).

Most people I talk to sold land to get through it also. ALot of them had double more acreage prior to that.

Stepper there were indeed some hard years. The hardest years of my life no doubt. Probably the only difference between you and I at the time was I found a job. I'd also pump gas in the evenings on a second job, cut firewood some, cut cedar posts and staves on the halves and sell my half. Deer meat and catfish were the luxury staple.

It makes me appreciate things now. These are good times for me.

Latest posts