Wondering about hydro- stat transmissions for farm tractor

Help Support CattleToday:

RCP

Reaction score
Needing a fourwheel drive (around a 40 hp) kubota for bush hogging, seeing a lot of hydrostats for sale, any comments about how they hold up doing farm work, hay loading etc. Thanks ! RCP

I have had a hydrostat for a couple years, 52 hp, great for moving hay, and brush hogging, I did disc and plant about 12 acres with it, wish I would of hired someone with bigger equip to do that, seemed as the tractor worked pretty hard, if you are doing much farming I would get something else, but for moving hay, post hole digger , moving manure or sand they are great

I have a Mahindra 5035 and I really like. Not a heavy user just moving hay, brush hogging and pittling.

RCP, I have to agree, depends what you need it for, very handy as a loader tractor and yard tractor. Not made for a hard pulling farming tractor where you need full time power even when not using it at full power. The Hydros. when pulling steady will get too hot in my opinion? I've only had a IH 986 Hydro, it was a good outfit on a loader was good in tight places and for a raking tractor? Good luck 101

I'm not a fan, slow backing up and just awkward to operate for me. I would look for one with a gear transimission and a shuttle.

man i loved my hst tractor.loader work was a breeze with it.it went in reverse just fine with me.i loved the way you could inch back to equipment to hook up.you could inch farward as well when needed.itll sure save your clutch knee.i love my hydro shuttle tractor as well.

the bigest hst tractor they make now is a 61hp kubota.thats a plus 9hp up from the 52hp tractor.

I hate it. My foot/leg gets cramped from having to hold that pedal down all the time.

dun thats what the cruise control is for when you dont want to hold it down all the time.

bigbull338":uzmb45o6 said:
dun thats what the cruise control is for when you dont want to hold it down all the time.
If it has it. The neighbors kubota doesn;t

Hydrostatics are nice for lighter work, but if they mess up they'll break the bank or be scrap metal. I would consider one for light jobs, but discing, plowing, etc, I've got less worry with a gear tranny.
Also, the hydrostatic eats a fair bit of power, not that big a deal if most of your power is going to the PTO, but will make a difference if you're pulling heavy stuff.

The Versatile hydro bi-directionals are still pretty popular "here" for hay and loader operations. Some guys have the mounted hay head on the "rear" and pull a swing tongue behind the "front".

Neighbor has a blue 9030 mfg purchased during the FNH years. The 9030 is the basically original Verstatile 276 design except with a Ford engine instead of Cummins.

Still has the tractor and leaves the loader on all the time. Wore out the swather head so he bought a SP NH swather. Doesn't bother to fix the AC in the bi-di anymore, just takes the doors off in summer.

Another neighbor years ago had a IH 186 hydro bought new that his son still owns. IIRC the 186 tractors were a 986 engine matched with the hydro transmission. Rated same power as a 886. Used it for hay and moving hay and as a loader/snowblower tractor. Excelled at those jobs. For heavy draft work, not so much.

IH made a hydro model in the 3x88 series tractors just before the Case merger. Those latest models would be getting some age on them now.

I agree with the post about nowdays it would likely be better to go with gear drive and shuttle shift. Hydros are expensive to fix and guys who know how to fix them are getting up in years or have passed.

John SD":2cgxarcx said:
The Versatile hydro bi-directionals are still pretty popular "here" for hay and loader operations. Some guys have the mounted hay head on the "rear" and pull a swing tongue behind the "front".

Neighbor has a blue 9030 mfg purchased during the FNH years. The 9030 is the basically original Verstatile 276 design except with a Ford engine instead of Cummins.

Still has the tractor and leaves the loader on all the time. Wore out the swather head so he bought a SP NH swather. Doesn't bother to fix the AC in the bi-di anymore, just takes the doors off in summer.

Another neighbor years ago had a IH 186 hydro bought new that his son still owns. IIRC the 186 tractors were a 986 engine matched with the hydro transmission. Rated same power as a 886. Used it for hay and moving hay and as a loader/snowblower tractor. Excelled at those jobs. For heavy draft work, not so much.

IH made a hydro model in the 3x88 series tractors just before the Case merger. Those latest models would be getting some age on them now.

I agree with the post about nowdays it would likely be better to go with gear drive and shuttle shift. Hydros are expensive to fix and guys who know how to fix them are getting up in years or have passed.

It was a 3488, we currently have hydros in 966,186, and 3488. They work well for baling hay, but that's about the only job I'd prefer them for.

i wont buy any tractor now with out it being a hydro shuttle or hst 4wd drive with loaders.now id prolly buy a 2wd drive like above just for summer use.

Latest posts