wonderin about simmenthals

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

are simmenthal cattle good in the heatand the cold? and do they have temperment, calving, or milking problems? how is the price?

angusgalore":17ve8yzz said:
are simmenthal cattle good in the heatand the cold? and do they have temperment, calving, or milking problems? how is the price?

For heat and cold they're probably about like all other continental cattle. Good temperment, gppd milkers, generally easy calvers. As for price, all cattle are way too high right now

dun

Simentals, are a dule pupose breed from Switzerland

They tollerate cold better than heat, they have a higher requirment for copper, and thus due poorly if not properly supplimented.

If proper nutrition is requirments are met they do great, have excellent growth, have gotten a little framey over the years, and have seen some sever dicounts at the sale barn sales,

They have turned them black by breeding them to Angus, and also offer the polled trait, the hide collor change has helped greatly for those who like to use them, but for honest commercial purposes, they will hurt your pocket book at a sale barn sale if that is how you market your cattle, real Simental cattle from europe are really nice, musculare, moderate framed cattle with high butter fat, Americans have managed to mess them up too, breeding other breeds into them.

I love the USA, but I have yet to figure out why they have to mess up every breed and species of critter out there, the only one I think they did OK with is the quarter horse, and some think they have ruined that too

Michelle Pankonien":209e176r said:
I love the USA, but I have yet to figure out why they have to mess up every breed and species of critter out there, the only one I think they did OK with is the quarter horse, and some think they have ruined that too

Michelle, you've made a pretty broad indictment of the US livestock industry. Would you mind giving us a few examples of the breeds and species that we've messed up? Maybe tell us what YOU would have done differently.

Texan":37643xwp said:
Michelle Pankonien":37643xwp said:

Michelle, you've made a pretty broad indictment of the US livestock industry. Would you mind giving us a few examples of the breeds and species that we've messed up? Maybe tell us what YOU would have done differently.

Texan she has stated she is a Limo breeder we know that no one has messed with that breed. They just turn from red to black or back kinda like a lizard.

Campground Cattle":2svs9yux said:
Texan":2svs9yux said:
Michelle Pankonien":2svs9yux said:

Texan she has stated she is a Limo breeder we know that no one has messed with that breed. They just turn from red to black or back kinda like a lizard.

That's true, Campground. And even stranger, I noticed that on the How Much Ear? thread she was advocating the use of Beefmasters. Now I'm really confused about what breeds we've messed up here.

angusgalore":r5wtb9c9 said:
thanks, but how do you think they would do in oklahoma?

If you like buy them they will do fine . I have owned simms good cattle. The only problem I had was the cows seemed to pull down with calves worse than my herefords or brangus. I run a grass operation you had better be able to fatten up and provide a calf on grass only.

Are you going to cross them?
What with? How do they do at your local salebarn?
I dont own any, got a little too much frame as it is.
But I like them, I think they would do fine in OK. if you got some shade.
Hillbilly

angusgalore":3lv0lhp2 said:

They'll do great in Oklahoma. I think you'll like them. Good milking females, good disposition and real growthy calves. Only problem we have had with them, out of every 100 or so calves, you can expect one or two flicks. Either a spotted calf or a rat tail. Buyers will assume dairy blood in the spotted calves, but you can always keep those for your freezer. I suppose this is the discounts Michelle was referring to in her post. Expect a $20-30/cwt discount on those. In my case, weaning weights on the other 98% of the calves more than compensated for it.

angusgalore":3ociv2hs said:

They'll do great in Oklahoma. I think you'll like them. Good milking females, good disposition and real growthy calves. Only problem we have had with them, out of every 100 or so calves, you can expect one or two flicks. Either a spotted calf or a rat tail. Buyers will assume dairy blood in the spotted calves, but you can always keep those for your freezer. I suppose this is the discounts Michelle was referring to in her post. Expect a $20-30/cwt discount on those. In my case, weaning weights on the other 98% of the calves more than compensated for it.

yea, i'll probably cross them w/an angus, and if you can throw a black or red mtl face or baldy they do pretty darn good, the purebred simmental do pretty well also. would you have a angus bull w/simmental cows or vice versa?

angusgalore":25i77gpw said:
yea, i'll probably cross them w/an angus, and if you can throw a black or red mtl face or baldy they do pretty darn good, the purebred simmental do pretty well also. would you have a angus bull w/simmental cows or vice versa?
Angus bull on Simmental cow.

la4angus":10inkm0n said:
angusgalore":10inkm0n said:
Angus bull on Simmental cow.

No question on this one. Do like LA suggests. Angus bull on the Simmental cow.

We've had Simmental cattle for over 15 years. They are good cattle.. gentle, very good milkers, and do well at the sale also. We fed out our steers 4-5 years ago, and the top grossing steers were always at least 3/4 Simmental

The last two bulls I used, one after the other, not both at the same time, were Simmental/Beefmaster/RedBrangus Mix bulls from my neighbor's herd. I swapped a nice hog for the first and a heifer for the second. He has a nice herd and the bulls turned out real nice. I used them on Hereford/Beefmaster, Hereford/Holsten and Holstein cows. It sounds like a real mongrel mix but I have a uniform crop of cows and heifers now (except for of the old originals). I have a Polled Hereford bull on this commercial herd now. Everyone who saw my crossbred bulls, and even now those that see my heifers, say they can see that Simmental. My college roomate's father was one of the first Simmental AI people in Texas when the breed started coming over in the 70's. He grqaded up a huge Hereford herd and began a purebred Sim. herd. My dad and I admired them, when the were "new" at the Houston Livestock Show when I was young. Who knows, maybe I'll get me one some day.

TexasCountryWoman........"poor dirt farmer" living off the beautiful land and loving it........is your "to do" list as long as mine?

this is for texan ,
lets see how have we messed up all the breeds including , angus ?
first off , polled herefords , black simmiies , black braunvieh , black herefords, black limos , 1700 lb angus , 950 lb angus , i could keep on going , but ill make it very simple
we have managed to dilute most of the breed genetics in this country so bad that it is getting very hard take advatages of phyonotipical traits of a breed to produce a viable and consistant cross bred carcass. This is why mr DUN cant breed a cow without 6 pages of EPDs , because a breeds traits are so diluted that their is no consistency. HV is maximized by differences in genetic traits , when they all look and perform the same you lose that .
IE a donkey and a horse
its not rocket science , luckly there is and will be a market for junk cattle for the forseeable future.

As far as calling mixed up commercial cattle "junk cattle", or breeders who have a facination with genetics and call their products junk, I myself, think that is inappropriate unless you have seen the cattle, see how they thrive or don't thrive, understand the living conditions, understand each rancher's circumstances and practices, realize that there is a plethora of cattle gene pools in this world, and keep an open mind. Nobody is going to ruin the cattle industry by crossing up cattle and changing up brreds. The original old breeds will remain (even those close to extinction have a website and supporters) and new ones will emerge. I think eventually Darwin's Law will apply and no one has much to fear.

TCW

Latest posts