wonderin about simmenthals

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasCountryWoman":299t4t9c said:
As far as calling mixed up commercial cattle "junk cattle", or breeders who have a facination with genetics and call their products junk, I myself, think that is inappropriate unless you have seen the cattle, see how they thrive or don't thrive, understand the living conditions, understand each rancher's circumstances and practices, realize that there is a plethora of cattle gene pools in this world, and keep an open mind. Nobody is going to ruin the cattle industry by crossing up cattle and changing up brreds. The original old breeds will remain (even those close to extinction have a website and supporters) and new ones will emerge. I think eventually Darwin's Law will apply and no one has much to fear.

TCW

Some people have a real snobbery about cattle breeds. I personally think the junk are those that are made up of half a dozen breeds with no consideration given to what each contributes to the mix. The operative term is "contributes to the mix". Buying a cheap bull from the sale barn (pound bull) and crossing him on multiple generations of cattle sired by all of the previous pound bulls isn't considering the mixture, just generating calves.
We saw the results of this happening with our neighbor. He had a herd of junk, no two cows alike, no two calves alike, every year he went to the salebarn and bought his new herd bull. When we sold out and moved he hauled all of his cattle to the sale barn. We cut the fence and ran our herd over to his place. After 5-6 years I happened to stop by to see how he was doing. Most of the cows he had from us were still there and were throwing fairly consistant calves. All of the replacements from his various bulls had created a mixture of calves that were getting to be as bad as the ones he had sold off.

dun

TexasCountryWoman":1y2zfupy said:
As far as calling mixed up commercial cattle "junk cattle", or breeders who have a facination with genetics and call their products junk, I myself, think that is inappropriate unless you have seen the cattle, see how they thrive or don't thrive, understand the living conditions, understand each rancher's circumstances and practices, realize that there is a plethora of cattle gene pools in this world, and keep an open mind. Nobody is going to ruin the cattle industry by crossing up cattle and changing up brreds. The original old breeds will remain (even those close to extinction have a website and supporters) and new ones will emerge. I think eventually Darwin's Law will apply and no one has much to fear.

TCW

Well, TCW, I am inclined to agree with you. But cow puncher makes some really good points. Some real good points to think about. I don't know if I would consider selecting for polled traits in a Hereford the same as turning breeds black, however. I hate to think that we've messed up all lines within all of the breeds, but if he and Michelle are saying that we've messed with most of the breeds, I can't argue with that.

With all due respect to everyones view.....

Yes cattle have been crossed and bred to various breeds, that is not the posted question.

In answering the question....... We raise Simmental and Simmental/Angus cross cattle in the northern region of the USA. Simmental tend to be larger framed, milk very well, their temperment is akin to that of a Black Lab. They calve well on open range and their calves grow like the wind. Crossed with Angus their IMF increases and the final result is/can be a very profitable venture.

In South Dakota we go from +100F days to -50F days. Give them a wind break and shade they will do fine!

cowpuncher":3ji8pta4 said:
this is for campground,

they dont have horns !

That was mother natures doing. People were just smart enough to realize the advantages.

dun

dun":34xkvueq said:
cowpuncher":34xkvueq said:
this is for campground,

they dont have horns !

That was mother natures doing. People were just smart enough to realize the advantages.

dun

True. Polled herefords began with a genetic mutation of the horned gene. There was single-trait selection to some extent, but because polled is dominant, it was still possible to get a polled animal while selecting for other traits as well. Because the polled breed has been around for so long and because of the sheer number of polled hereford animals, there is basically no difference between polled & horned herefords except for the presence of or lack of horns.

Just wanted to throw my two cents worth in the hat about the Simmental breed. I studied a lot of breeds before deciding on breeding purebred Simmentals in 1989. I first liked the breed because of their gentleness, good maternal ability and their fast growth. Over the years of breeding Simmentals, I still like these three traits best. They are great mothers, take real good care of their babies, are real gentle to work and grow like crazy. I don't think you can go wrong at all by seriously considering using Simmental cattle. Of all the continental breeds, they are easily the best maternal ones and have the best dispositions.

farminfirefighter":1ec7wox2 said:
:?: :?: How do simmentals seem to perform in a rotational grazing operation?

I may be a bit obtuse but I can't understand what you're asking. They would perform just like anything else would. Properly done they will do well, improperly done they won't.

dun

Dun,
Let me clarify, as was asking that as a breed are simmentals efficient grazers. I have a dairy background, and in dairy your protein breeds such as Brown swiss and Jerseys, seem to perform better in a grazing setup than holsteins.

I am like dun, as I didn't understand what U were asking on your first post.
Yes. Simmentals are efficient grazers.

Thankyou, our family recently sold our dairy operation and are left with about 250 acres with about half in pastures. We are looking into the possibity of raising a small herd of beef cattle to keep the remaining farm active. We are located in the mid atlantic chesapeake bay watershed, there is huge cost sharing benefits to establishing a grazing operation. So I am starting some research on various breeds. So any input is appreciated.

Simmental make a good bull to get simmbra. Simmental mike is great and everything else is bad. The main thing is the pices are very low!!!!!!!!

Latest posts