Wonder what they thought?

Help Support CattleToday:

msscamp":3gv38fa4 said:
cfpinz":3gv38fa4 said:
3:45 AM??? :shock: I could never be a dairy farmer!

:shock: :shock: I second that thought - I don't do 4 AM, I'm barely coherent at 6AM, 6:30 AM I can and do handle, but 7 AM is better as far as coherent is concerned!

heck out at work on collection days we start collectin bulls at 5:30, that ain't bad at too bad at all.

Jake":1kwf2ghy said:
msscamp":1kwf2ghy said:
cfpinz":1kwf2ghy said:
3:45 AM??? :shock: I could never be a dairy farmer!

:shock: :shock: I second that thought - I don't do 4 AM, I'm barely coherent at 6AM, 6:30 AM I can and do handle, but 7 AM is better as far as coherent is concerned!

heck out at work on collection days we start collectin bulls at 5:30, that ain't bad at too bad at all.

I don't think you would want me collecting those bulls, Lord only knows where they probe would end up! :shock: :shock:

dun":31or3yaf said:
rkm":31or3yaf said:
Dun you are so right. Even though I havn't had milk cows for 18 months up early every morning, no matter how late I stay up at night. I guess I can't turn that clock off in my head. If I happen to sleep a extra half hour I feel guilty. But for the first time in my life I find myself nodding off in the afternoon. :D :D

It's been over 25 years since I had to get up around 4 on a regular basis. Still do it every day. It sure must take a long time to reprogram the internal clock.

dun

I think it takes just as long to program that internal clock in the first place. :lol: I've got a long ways to go yet.

Van- I was up visiting Washington State University about a month ago, and that's about what their hours were like. If I remember it right, the university's herd started around 9 or 10 and went through to 12. I prefer the hours University of ID held (just across the state line); they started around 3 and 3. What is it Ben Franklin said? early to bed, early to rise, makes a man healthy, wealthy, and wise. :)

Think of the pleasure of the DHIA tech. He/she needs be in the parlor about an hour before milking starts so that the barn can be set up to test and the equipment needs be up before the sanatize. Then after the milking is done you have to wait until the entire wash/rinse cycle is finished to pull the equipment down.
The dairys here milked anywhere for 3 and 3 to 10 and 10. No way in the world to get on a steady regular schedule. Makes you old before your time. I alwasy tell people I'm only 23, that DHIA job just made me look 70

dun

dun":1i722rpy said:
Think of the pleasure of the DHIA tech. He/she needs be in the parlor about an hour before milking starts so that the barn can be set up to test and the equipment needs be up before the sanatize. Then after the milking is done you have to wait until the entire wash/rinse cycle is finished to pull the equipment down.
The dairys here milked anywhere for 3 and 3 to 10 and 10. No way in the world to get on a steady regular schedule. Makes you old before your time. I alwasy tell people I'm only 23, that DHIA job just made me look 70

dun

The DHIA tech went nuts when my Dad got the brainstorm to milk 3X per day once. I couldn't say much except........well, we'll just have less time for other chores.

We did it for about a year. UGH!