Wonder how many angus cows

Help Support CattleToday:

There should be a lot bigger difference between a dairy and beef bull. Yes they are different...but not different enough.

Tehama_Bando_155.jpg

8534lo(b).jpg

Especially with this Finnish Red. I think I like him better. :lol:
ay1713piuha.jpg

Loch Valley Fold":9uhobyaa said:
What were the type of Angus being bred back than (30yrs ago) just from looking at this site
http://www.msu.edu/~ritchieh/historical/cattletype.html
I can tell the trends went from one extreeme to another not only with Angus but other breeds as well, yes he looks "dairy" but what was his frame size compared to now?

He really wouldn't be considered "extreme" today; but back then he was one of the BIGGEST Angus sires available and they wanted frame back then and were willing to give up a little muscle and guts to get it.

Careful folks you are gonna stir up the Angus mafia........They swear those Angus cattle jumped from frame size 4 to size 10 in a year and their was no hanky panky milk cows or Chi"s involved :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You have been warned :lol2: :lol2:

Someone told me long ago that the reason some Angus have white on their udders and underlines was because Holstein was used on them. I don't know how credible that is though...

showing71":2k5agxow said:
Someone told me long ago that the reason some Angus have white on their udders and underlines was because Holstein was used on them. I don't know how credible that is though...

If that were the case they had Holstein in them when they were in Scotland. Some of the orginal imports had white on their udders. THat's based on some of the old time pictures I've seen over the years.

Something must have worked way back then, :cowboy: Black Angus are by far the #1 breed in the USA and gaining popularity. :compute:

mnmtranching":1m4aec5n said:
Something must have worked way back then, :cowboy: Black Angus are by far the #1 breed in the USA and gaining popularity. :compute:

Actually I BELIEVE that Angus registrations and semen sales both DECLINED last year; but that may just be an anomaly that runs counter to the longterm statistical trend so I am not ready to say that Angus has peaked......It is something to watch though.

northtexas":2mposvrm said:
Carry the blood of this "dairy" looking bull?

http://www.cattle.com/semen/bulls/Tehama+Bando+155+.aspx

I'd bet a lot!

Why do you care?
Answer: You're a breed basher.

For the most part Angus breeders on this site don't bash other breeds. (That can change quickly) Yet you, jealous child that you are, will bash my breed instead of promoting or working to improve your own. I know your momma taught you better. :roll:

Brandonm22":y2ena41v said:
mnmtranching":y2ena41v said:

Actually I BELIEVE that Angus registrations and semen sales both DECLINED last year; but that may just be an anomaly that runs counter to the longterm statistical trend so I am not ready to say that Angus has peaked......It is something to watch though.

Angus semen sales did decline last year, but so did most other breeds. But Angus domestic sales were still ten times more than the next breed. Looking at this link, the breed to be getting into is Red Brangus.

http://www.naab-css.org/sales/table29.html

We've been registering 300,000+ for several years. I'd expect the new curly calf rules to cut into that number, but we'll easily double, triple, what any other breed will register.

For several years I've thought the demand for Angus bulls would start dropping, but the sales that we've attended this year were strong. So I wouldn't hold my breath that Angus has peaked.

northtexas":181ewc71 said:
>>I know your momma taught you better. :roll:<<

She did!!

[youtube]pxSS1MZEP5c[/youtube]

Funny thing is, I probably have as many Angus cows as you do Frankie. I like GOOD Angus cattle. I could however live without the hot air from most Angus breeders and the Angus Ass.

:clap:

Frankie I did not say that Angus's growth had peaked......just that a decline in both semen sales and in total registrations COULD be indicative of a top. I need to really see 2009 numbers and PROBABLY 2010 numbers to call a trend up or down as the economy is probably going to take a chunk out of 2009 sales across the board. Fawn Calf, Neuropathic Hydrocephalus (sp?), and Arthrogyroposis Multiplex are all going to affect semen sales and registrations; but you may have some ups as well as downs from it as breeders with tanks full of Precision, Future Direction, etc semen have to buy semen they otherwise would not have had to.

mnmtranching":pto98r74 said:

Peer pressure :roll:

Brandonm22":18fhbrvq said:
Frankie I did not say that Angus's growth had peaked......just that a decline in both semen sales and in total registrations COULD be indicative of a top. I need to really see 2009 numbers and PROBABLY 2010 numbers to call a trend up or down as the economy is probably going to take a chunk out of 2009 sales across the board. Fawn Calf, Neuropathic Hydrocephalus (sp?), and Arthrogyroposis Multiplex are all going to affect semen sales and registrations; but you may have some ups as well as downs from it as breeders with tanks full of Precision, Future Direction, etc semen have to buy semen they otherwise would not have had to.

Yes, I didn't think about all that semen that will be chunked. That might help semen sales. But I do think this is going to drive some people out of the Angus business, or at least cut back. I know when we sold out the heart of our herd a few years ago that it made a difference in our attitude. We just didn't want to work as hard to rebuild.

Yes he is in a lot of pedigrees. However purebred cattle are exactly that; pure bred. They started with a mish mash of animals that a certain breeder or group of breeders liked and moved up from there. Colour and type were fixed and in many cases outside cattle introduced to try and improve the "breed". So to think that any breed is actually pure is nonsense.

It is also naive to deny that bulls of the 70's and early eighties had some holstein and chi bred into them; the proof is in the body type and structure. However if purity is a problem then we should also chastise Simmental, Limo, Gelbvieh, Hereford, Shorthorn, etc, etc as they all carry gentics from other breeds. If fact some of those breeds (or portions of) more closely resemble the breed type and traits of those that were bred in than the original. Does it make them "bad"?

houstoncutter":u1tc6zv6 said:
Careful folks you are gonna stir up the Angus mafia........They swear those Angus cattle jumped from frame size 4 to size 10 in a year and their was no hanky panky milk cows or Chi"s involved :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: You have been warned :lol2: :lol2:

Yeah Frankie and the angus trench coat mafia might call foul and lock this thread.

Willow Springs":1ytosoyw said:
Yes he is in a lot of pedigrees. However purebred cattle are exactly that; pure bred. They started with a mish mash of animals that a certain breeder or group of breeders liked and moved up from there. Colour and type were fixed and in many cases outside cattle introduced to try and improve the "breed". So to think that any breed is actually pure is nonsense.

It is also naive to deny that bulls of the 70's and early eighties had some holstein and chi bred into them; the proof is in the body type and structure. However if purity is a problem then we should also chastise Simmental, Limo, Gelbvieh, Hereford, Shorthorn, etc, etc as they all carry gentics from other breeds. If fact some of those breeds (or portions of) more closely resemble the breed type and traits of those that were bred in than the original. Does it make them "bad"?

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
Well stated