Won’t eat hay and no grass

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I've seen this phenomenon before, but it always makes me nervous. My pasture is pretty slick, but they won't eat hay. Crabgrass has just started to peep through the surface. I believe/hope when it comes on I can start some rotations. Anybody in the same canoe?

TennesseeTuxedo said:
Did they figure it out the last time?

Yeah. It somehow looks worse this year. It may have been my limit feeding hay that depleted the place. I've got some wheat that's growing good, and they have access. Seldom see em on it though.

Feeding so so hay? As things started greening up around here the quality of hay I put out declined. Put the remnants of the last 3 bales on brush piles last week and lit em off. Checked how hungry they were with good hay and it took a good while before they finished it off so It could be they are getting enough grazing.

Got lush green grass growing as fast as they can eat it. Been putting out 3 year old Milo stalks mainly to get it out of the way. They're completely cleaning up the old greasy Milo and begging for more.....go figure.

Do you have a syrup tank? If not there are tubs of molasses/chicken feathers or 20% cubes. When I'd run out of hay, having to buy late season junk, and the new growth wasn't ready yet, I'd get something they liked to get their bellies hot and they would go for the hay to cool them down.

Seems like a slick pasture and old hay you swear they won't eat is their favorite food. Mine are on green grass up to their knees and I come home yesterday to a 4wt heifer on the wrong side of the fence in some half Azz grazed off grass by my pond. Promptly tore down the fence while I tried to sneak by to open the gate. Go figure.

Texasmark said:
Do you have a syrup tank? If not there are tubs of molasses/chicken feathers or 20% cubes. When I'd run out of hay, having to buy late season junk, and the new growth wasn't ready yet, I'd get something they liked to get their bellies hot and they would go for the hay to cool them down.

I do not "normally" I'd be feeding a little ddg right now. That'd make me feel a little better if I was.

SmokinM said:
Seems like a slick pasture and old hay you swear they won't eat is their favorite food. Mine are on green grass up to their knees and I come home yesterday to a 4wt heifer on the wrong side of the fence in some half Azz grazed off grass by my pond. Promptly tore down the fence while I tried to sneak by to open the gate. Go figure.

I got neighbors experiencing the same thing I am. My horses are actually on worse looking pasture than my cows, and they ain't touching hay.

If they are hungry they will eat hay. The grass is fresh, tender, and something new. They will chase new grass and actually loose weight for a few days. Keep hay where they can get it and otherwise forget them.