wm's and punkins

Help Support CattleToday:

iowahawkeyes

Reaction score
I planted my seedless watermelons in the peat pots today. I've never had very good luck with this kind of thing, but I'm trying harder this time. I just have 2 varieties Olympia and TriX 313 and the pollinator. I'm actually trying to follow the directions. :D
I planted a few Fairytale seeds, they are a flat mahoghany colored squash/pumpkin. I haven't planted them for a few years b/c of the long season on them, but they are really striking. I brought one to a fair and it won largest hard stem pumpkin, it was 54#. Most are 15#-30#.
I planted a speciality pumpkin called One Too Many. It is a conversation piece. It's a white soft skinned pumpkin with red veins kind of like your eyes after a hard night. :D They are a little longer day too in order for the color to develop.
I marked out the square for the corn maze yesterday. It will be 400' x 400', I supposed that's a little short of 4 acres. We started regular corn planting yesterday (we had a snow day last Wednesday, go figure) so it'll get planted pretty soon. I'm still deciding on the design. We just do the square, I figure you can't see the design from the ground anyway.
That's as far as I am.

Those corn mazes are neat. Do you do it for extra income or is it for a charity or is it free? A friend of mine proposed to his wife with a field of corn and a bush hog and an airplane. Oh, she said yes.

We do it for the kids' college fund. We have a fall stand/store too. The first year we had the corn maze we decided to have a haunted maze as a fund raiser for our youth group. It was very successful for the church, but was a headache for me. Corn was flying all over!! I was scared someone was going to get hurt.

That's a great way to get proposed to!

I understand with the seedless melons, the plants must be kept above 80 degrees at germination and after.

I thought about some but it's still getting down in the high 40's and lower 50's here at night and I don't have a greenhouse.

I don't have a greenhouse either. I took a drying rack and laid boards on it. Then I covered it with clear plastic and put a little heater in it. I have a thermometer and it stays 80-90*. It's working good so far. I know those seedless are fickle, that's why they cost more.

Latest posts