Wish I had 50 more just like them

Help Support CattleToday:

Not even with the damndest, high falootingest registered Simm, Charloalis, or whatever purebrd herd in the world, selling calves in Production sales at your farm where you cater caviar and champagne to the bidders, will you EVER make the money you will with these corrs bred to angus ( we use Brangus and Ultrablack) . 120 head costs about $30k. Last year we sold 112 calves, 6 mos old, for $621 to $827. Probably averaged $700 or more per calf. About $78,000. No way can you buy $30k worth of ANY other cattle, and sell $98k worth if calves at 6 mos old, with NO feed, no vetting, no worming, no parasite control or fly control, no fertilizer, lime or weed killer on the pasture, no labor in tagging and vaccinating the calves.. no labor in bushogging the pastures, no cutting, baling and getting up hay. Or buying hay. Zero money or labor inputs.

After all, the business side is all about what you get for what you pay, and a viable way is to 'lose face' because you take the 'scrubs' and let others turn their noses up at your low-quality, back-pasture stock. But low cost/input with decent returns is often higher profit than high cost/input with higher returns (that have labor-intensive marketing). And cattle science says that smaller framed, efficient-calf-raising cows that breed back faster every year (i.e. corriente) are actually consistently the best mone
But I'm too old to deal with a whole herd of them. Not too easy to handle, and can be hard on the fences if they so choose.
Also why I don't have a herd of F1 Braford. Same deal. Moneymakers, but hard on the health on the docility side of things.

I don't find them any harder to handle than any other breed, maybe easier than some Brahmas or Brahma crosses that people don't know how to handle. I never get in any pen, pasture or corral with any cow on foot, though. I do everything from horseback. These 120 cows were on 200+ acres that is our quail and rabbit hunting paradise. Across the road and down about a mile my partner has 450+ acres of fenced in row crop land. We plant our dove field for the pay shoot there every year on about 50-60 acres, and the rest he usually puts in corn, beans, peanuts and cotton. After the first dove season, sometime in October, we would round this herd up and drive them horseback down to the dove field, and turn them on it. Then, as each crop was harvested, he'd open the gates to that field and let them have them, too. About the end of January we'd drive them back to the Kudzu field, They calved in February, and any that the black bulls missed got bred by our Corr cleanup bull for early March calves. In March, we'd round them up and cut the bull calves, by heeling them and getting down to work them on the ground, inside a huge corral that was one time an arena, and we have it divided into 3 sections. Next time anyone is ever over there, is end of April when we'd turn the black bulls out. Usually Memorial day weekend, we'd pick them up and turn the Corr bull in with them. We'd get him out 4th of July weekend. About a week before dove season opens, we'd round them up, load up the calves to go to the sale. This year he put the whole 450 acres across the road in cotton, except for the dove field, and that was a deciding factor in selling that herd last spring, too. Those 12 head we have over there will be alright with nothing but the dove field and 400 acres of picked cotton, but we would have had to feed them if we had kept the 120 head this year. Sometime in October I will go down there and we will drive those 11 over to the cotton field, and take the Corr bull to Scott's. So that's all the human contact they ever got, but we had no problems. Now, all of these cows had been worked on horseback all of their lives, and between me and Scott we have over 100 years experience handling cows with horses, but these cows are as docile as any other breed would be seeing humans only 3-4 times a year.
Can't afford horses. Gotta work mine on foot, and only see then once a month for most of the year. Two of mine still won't go in the corral when I'm within 50 yards-the cheap bred and the F1 braford, so I'd prefer to stay healthy.

But I'd agree y'all are efficient. Rotating through crops back to cattle is the way to go, it sounds like, and your ROE sounds like it's really maximized. If I had 10 million, I'd be dumb enough to try it even now at 45:). Have to stick with enjoying what I've got and trying not to lose too much money or get hurt and lose money paying hospital bills.

Once you sale the 6 month old Corriente crosses at the sale barn and the buyer realizes what they now have a few months down the road. Does your name get black balled at the sale barn or do they know they are paying $700 for a Corriente cross and that's OK?
Your not fooling the buyers at their game, your fooling yourself.

Your not fooling the buyers at their game, your fooling yourself.
Can't fool someone who buys 1,000s a year for
Sure they know all the tricks for sure

Agreed, DCA. So, last August, we took a load of steers to the barn Friday night, for the sale Saturday. The chicken -catcher boys were there for the night, unloading, weighing and processing the cattle. The intake is on the est end of the complex, sale ring on the west end, and load out of purchases is on the south side or back side. I suppose one could have told the chicken catcher boys that these were half corriente, but doubt they would have cared, or even knew what we were talking about. Saturday morning when Scott took the heifers, it is a whole other crew at the intake. They work there until the last ones come in, then move over to the load out. I suppose one could have told them that these heifers were half- Corr, but doubt they would care. They wouldn't see any "buyers" until the buyers backed their truck and trailer up to load them out, anyway.

Most people selling weigh cattle don't even stick around to watch them sell. I suppose one could get there Saturday morning and hang around the cafe if they were just dying to tell someone that the calves they brought in were half-Corriente. You'd have to tell everyone there, though, because there would be no way to know who all was gonna buy one of your calves.

In other years I have taken some the day of the sale, and other people unloading cattle to sell have asked about the nice load of black calves I just unloaded. I HAVE told them "You aint gonna believe this, but these calves were out of Corriente cows." This has resulted in me selling a lot of Corriente cows and heifers over the years.

I resent the implication that I or anyone else raising these kind of calves are doing anything dis-honest. As far as fooling myself?!! You are right, Caustic. I say that we raise these with zero inputs, but that is false. We probably have about $5 worth of salt and minerals in their mommas each year. And for the steers, got to add in the price of the little green bands or the cost of a singe edge razor blade. So, add another quarter to the inputs on the steer calves.

Once you sale the 6 month old Corriente crosses at the sale barn and the buyer realizes what they now have a few months down the road. Does your name get black balled at the sale barn or do they know they are paying $700 for a Corriente cross and that's OK?
If it takes them that long to realize what they bought, the only one that it looks bad on,is them..so I would remain silent..

Agreed, DCA. So, last August, we took a load of steers to the barn Friday night, for the sale Saturday. The chicken -catcher boys were there for the night, unloading, weighing and processing the cattle. The intake is on the est end of the complex, sale ring on the west end, and load out of purchases is on the south side or back side. I suppose one could have told the chicken catcher boys that these were half corriente, but doubt they would have cared, or even knew what we were talking about. Saturday morning when Scott took the heifers, it is a whole other crew at the intake. They work there until the last ones come in, then move over to the load out. I suppose one could have told them that these heifers were half- Corr, but doubt they would care. They wouldn't see any "buyers" until the buyers backed their truck and trailer up to load them out, anyway.

Most people selling weigh cattle don't even stick around to watch them sell. I suppose one could get there Saturday morning and hang around the cafe if they were just dying to tell someone that the calves they brought in were half-Corriente. You'd have to tell everyone there, though, because there would be no way to know who all was gonna buy one of your calves.

In other years I have taken some the day of the sale, and other people unloading cattle to sell have asked about the nice load of black calves I just unloaded. I HAVE told them "You aint gonna believe this, but these calves were out of Corriente cows." This has resulted in me selling a lot of Corriente cows and heifers over the years.

I resent the implication that I or anyone else raising these kind of calves are doing anything dis-honest. As far as fooling myself?!! You are right, Caustic. I say that we raise these with zero inputs, but that is false. We probably have about $5 worth of salt and minerals in their mommas each year. And for the steers, got to add in the price of the little green bands or the cost of a singe edge razor blade. So, add another quarter to the inputs on the steer calves.
People know what I buy so
I just assume they know what I raise. I don't consider them back 40 cattle you pull up to my house or on one of my lease places there they are right out in the open horns spots and all

Sounds like the buyers know they are paying $700 for Corrientes then…guess they must be worth it. Sounds like a good money maker.
They didn't know these were half Corriente. Wouldn't know what Corriente was if you did tell them. And if they did know what they were they would not care. What they knew and cared about was Angus..and that means any bovine of any breed or mix of breed that are black...brought around $1.50 per lb for those that were 450-500 or so. At these sales there are 4 ki9nds of cows only to the old-timers, If it is back it is angus. If it is red it is a " sorry-ass Hereford". If it is white or white-ish it is " one of them $%@#$!*& Charolais". And if it has any ear it all it is a "Brammer".

This is what these ugly """worthless"""cows can do bred to a beef bull" not saying that's a great calf but that's a $300 momma cow I paid her off with her first calf she's 5 years old now this will be the 3rd calf she's got in her belly for me right now

Attachments

• F1307B53-A0D9-4056-AE1A-19F84B235748.jpeg
    F1307B53-A0D9-4056-AE1A-19F84B235748.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 21
  • 5CBF7B83-ED2D-4CAE-990D-C5980FD4481E.jpeg
    5CBF7B83-ED2D-4CAE-990D-C5980FD4481E.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23
  • 8D6CC37F-D64E-4F54-9685-510937850BA2.jpeg
    8D6CC37F-D64E-4F54-9685-510937850BA2.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 22
This is what these ugly """worthless"""cows can do bred to a beef bull" not saying that's a great calf but that's a $300 momma cow I paid her off with her first calf she's 5 years old now this will be the 3rd calf she's got in her belly for me right now
Ya might want to look around for a muscle-maker bull to get more meaty calves. Lot's of them around if you look.

Ya might want to look around for a muscle-maker bull to get more meaty calves. Lot's of them around if you look.
But I'll be buying me a lot better bull soon may even buy a White bull now that I think about it the little bull at house right now I only have $500 for him to I'm a sucker for a cheap deal

Last edited:
But I'll be buying me a lot better bull soon may even buy a White bull now that I think about it the little bull at house right now I only have $500 for him to I'm a sucker for a cheap deal
If your buying a deal buy it in a cow and buy the best bull you can afford.

The angus bull that calve come off of cost me $500 and I got $600 for that heifer
Well there are cheap bulls and there are expensive bulls...

And personally... and I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, just giving you an honest opinion... your $500 bull is one of the most expensive bulls I've seen.

Why? Because you have a decent cow and the calf is not even close to the quality of the cow. The only thing going for the calf is that it's black and we all know black sells for more than quality. With a herd improving bull that heifer might have sold for $1000. Multiply that difference by the number of calves you are getting.

There are great herd improving black bulls that will throw black calves and can be inexpensive. The two best bulls I've had were cheap herd improvers. One was a home raised crossbreed and the other was an $800 purebred that the breeder didn't like (but he was wrong).

You put the right bull on that cow and you'll have meaty calves that sell for more and will more than pay for the better bull... if you buy wisely. A cheap bull can be an expensive mistake.

Well there are cheap bulls and there are expensive bulls...

And personally... and I'm not trying to hurt your feelings, just giving you an honest opinion... your $500 bull is one of the most expensive bulls I've seen.

Why? Because you have a decent cow and the calf is not even close to the quality of the cow. The only thing going for the calf is that it's black and we all know black sells for more than quality. With a herd improving bull that heifer might have sold for $1000. Multiply that difference by the number of calves you are getting.

There are great herd improving black bulls that will throw black calves and can be inexpensive. The two best bulls I've had were cheap herd improvers. One was a home raised crossbreed and the other was an $800 purebred that the breeder didn't like (but he was wrong).

You put the right bull on that cow and you'll have meaty calves that sell for more and will more than pay for the better bull... if you buy wisely. A cheap bull can be an expensive mistake.
Lot of papered Angus that should have went to Wolf Brand Chili.
Transition happened a few years back to buying paper versus phenotype.

They didn't know these were half Corriente. Wouldn't know what Corriente was if you did tell them. And if they did know what they were they would not care. What they knew and cared about was Angus..and that means any bovine of any breed or mix of breed that are black...brought around $1.50 per lb for those that were 450-500 or so. At these sales there are 4 ki9nds of cows only to the old-timers, If it is back it is angus. If it is red it is a " sorry-ass Hereford". If it is white or white-ish it is " one of them $%@#$!*& Charolais". And if it has any ear it all it is a "Brammer".
Again, if they are buying to feed out on basis and not grade, they probably don't care. In fact, the crosses might get better adg anyway, which makes them very attractive.

If you can buy a cow for $400 and sell its calf for $600, it seems to be a no brainer. Also, they ARE way less maintenance, which further reduces input cost. I looked at the A&M literature on this a lot. They seemed to say if you averaged 200$ profit per cow per year that was outstanding. Recently seen people trying to sell F1 Braford heifers for about $2000 a piece. Would take forever to get your money back out of those if you factor in initial cost plus yearly upkeep cost.

Maintaining an expensive 'genetic' herd is also a huge hassle and cost intensive.

As I went the cheap route, I'll post how I do financially on my $4000 herd next year:).

But I've actually heard across multiple platforms and states from some of the most experienced folks that the corriente/beef cross calves are consistently some of the most profitable.

Don't feel like anyone's trying to trick anyone, though. It's a small county, and when you see that everyone in the sale barn seems to be older than you, I bet there ain't anything I could bring in there that they ain't seen before. Would rather just ask the old hands what to do to have an angle to do well myself or at least have some downside protection and we all be happy together with the situation.

Latest posts