Wish I had 50 more just like them

Help Support CattleToday:

DCA farm

Reaction score
No matter how many black cows I own I'll always have a spot in my herd for these type of ladies.. they do me a good job and don't cost me much to run

Attachments

• DE6BDEB3-2919-4DD1-9B74-5C8D351BF406.jpeg
    DE6BDEB3-2919-4DD1-9B74-5C8D351BF406.jpeg
    811.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 93D6D383-9F62-4FD5-908B-1A6D9AB1BB85.jpeg
    93D6D383-9F62-4FD5-908B-1A6D9AB1BB85.jpeg
    521.8 KB · Views: 10
  • 1516CD1A-D2AA-4F0F-BC60-91D02D1362AD.jpeg
    1516CD1A-D2AA-4F0F-BC60-91D02D1362AD.jpeg
    747.3 KB · Views: 11
  • 6B183C98-7B4C-4325-91EC-D6FA15ABEBFF.jpeg
    6B183C98-7B4C-4325-91EC-D6FA15ABEBFF.jpeg
    676 KB · Views: 10
  • B3666856-D47C-4921-A3C7-6D8AA60B088B.jpeg
    B3666856-D47C-4921-A3C7-6D8AA60B088B.jpeg
    636.7 KB · Views: 9
  • 0580A080-7EFE-4128-9A96-23EA87AAA102.jpeg
    0580A080-7EFE-4128-9A96-23EA87AAA102.jpeg
    654.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 94DA22F1-67A3-4E58-9912-1AE0587F902D.jpeg
    94DA22F1-67A3-4E58-9912-1AE0587F902D.jpeg
    498.1 KB · Views: 7
  • D96AADF1-6325-42CD-A64D-35A3925FD03A.jpeg
    D96AADF1-6325-42CD-A64D-35A3925FD03A.jpeg
    448 KB · Views: 7
  • 4E7940CD-14C2-450B-9F7A-1B116BD6277A.jpeg
    4E7940CD-14C2-450B-9F7A-1B116BD6277A.jpeg
    628.9 KB · Views: 7
  • DCA73C95-A7DA-4113-B420-B65839A153CC.jpeg
    DCA73C95-A7DA-4113-B420-B65839A153CC.jpeg
    557 KB · Views: 8
I fully agree color matters, at least in my area. We had a non-horned bull that threw some horned calves once. I remember hating working them with the horns. Do you have much trouble and do you have a different setup for holding the head? How do get them down the alley?

I totally understand what you are saying. But, more cows mean more land, more work, more upkeep (pasture, labor, meds, machinery, facilities, etc). I have the luxury of running 50 cows that I love to look at and work with. But, I also have 50 years invested in genetics.

Pictured at 13 years old. Recently sold a 7 month old heifer calf sired by a home raised bull for $4000, Sold a bred yearling for $8,000. Those are her last 2 calves. We flushed her last year and put 14 heifer embryos in tank. I'll keep my kind of cows. Color doesn't matter.
Pic of her feet last year:

I am selling my last steer (others sold as show steers - $1500 each - very LOW price for what people charge kids for show steers). My last steer is probably 750-775# and I will get $1.70/# off my scales. My steers more than pay for their dam's expenses for several years, so get a nice profit off them.
I shouldn't post my prices on here. Don't usually do that. Just wanting someone to know there are many layers of operations raising beef.

No matter how many black cows I own I'll always have a spot in my herd for these type of ladies.. they do me a good job and don't cost me much to run
Would be a "pay to keep" around here with the dock on calves. I wonder if the queen had a herd of longhorns to go along with the other herds she apparently had?

I fully agree color matters, at least in my area. We had a non-horned bull that threw some horned calves once. I remember hating working them with the horns. Do you have much trouble and do you have a different setup for holding the head? How do get them down the alley?
They will turn their head to go down it head gate is worst part just gotta have timing right or you will miss them. Also you can't rush them down the chute or they will hang up

I've raise some good calves off these cows for the quality cow they are
My partner and I kept a herd of 120 Corr cows (until this summer). We used Angus at first., then the past decade Brangus, and the last 3 years we used Ultrablacks. We'd put enough bulls on them every year to have about a 4 week calving window, but some years it wasn't that long. Every calf every year was black and polled, and weighed 45-500 when weaned at 6 mos. We sold the herd when the calves were about 3 months old, but last year they weighed from 434 smallest heifer heifers to %20-something largest steer. At $1.54 these calves sold for the same thing as any other black calves sold for this time last year. $750 calf out of a $250 cow with zero inputs. They lived on 200 acres of cut-over pulpwood, kudzu, honeysuckle, blackberries, poke salad, broome sage and Johnson grass. All that is on it right now, is 4 pure Corr heifers born March 0f '21, 5 plummer cows and their calves, and a Brah x Chianina and a Brahma. x Chiangus ...heifers..... both about 19 mons old, and our pure Corriente cleanup bull. If it weren't for my age and health, I'd fill that place up with Corr cows again.

What do roping quality calves bring in your area?
what do beef sired calves off corriente cows bring in your area?
Very little market for roping cattle and what maket there is is seasonal (May-Sept). On corriente cross calves they are a dollar a pound off the price off good beef calves.

I love them and they live forever Seems like it if you take care of them. I didn't say baby them just give them the the basic necessity's
Back in the 70's and early 80's, when you could only import steers from Mexico for teamroping and dogging, I have seen prices at $500-$550 and up. After you could import cows and bulls, and people started raising them here ( Charlie Daniels' ranch was one of the first) I have seen prices some years $300 or less.

Here, everything is trailer weaned at 6 mos or so. Lots of people don't even cut the bull calves, and they bring close to what steers do. We weaned ours at 6 mos at around 500lbs. They were all solid black and polled, and no one could tell if they were 1/2 Corr. They bring whatever other Angus cross, polled black calves that age and weight bring. I did a poll on here once, with a pic of one of them, a Chi-angus ,a reg Angus , and ultra black, and some commercial mostly angus . None the Negative Nancy nay-sayers could pic them out. Only person that got it right was @MurraysMutts.

We only keep salt and minerals inside the corral we have on the place. No other food or supplements, no wormer or vaccines, etc. We'd round them up when they had all done calving and cut or band the bull calves. So, our total inputs was salt and minerals, and some rubber bands or single-edge razor blades.
No way in hell 120 British or Contiental cows with no inputs could thrive on that land. Even if they could, you'd have 5 to 6 times the proce per cow in them, so you would not make the money the Corrs make you. We probably had an average of $250 per head in these cows. about $30k. So, using the same money you might could buy 20 "good" beef cows , and they MIGHT thrive on that 200 acres of junk, but those 30 calves will not bring even half the money the Corr- Angus calves do. Let;s say caalves were down and these calves only brought $1 pound. 120 @ $500is $60k. Those other 30 beef breed calves would have to bring $2000 each at 500 lbs, and that aint gonna happen.

Brahmas would probably fair as well as far as the rough forage and no feed, but you couldn't run as many on that 200 acres. Probably 1/3rd or less, and you gonna have $1500 to $2500 each in those cows. Right now, all we have is 5 Plummer cows, a 1/2 Br /1/2 Chianina and a 1/2 Br.1/2 Chiangus , both 18 months old. and four 19 month Corr heifers on the place. And a Corr bull. Those seven 1/2 Brahmas all looked fat and happy a couple of weeks ago, but no way could we run 120 like that on the place without feed and supplements. The way I traded, I ended up with about $300-3250 in those Plummers, but you could probably only run 1 of them vs 3 Corrs on that place. The 2 half brahmas I probably have $1200 each in them, so they would not be as cost efficient as the Corrs. Bottom ;line is, on rough pasture like that, with no other inputs at all, and given the same money to buy cows with, no way in hell can you do better than these Corr cows bred to Angus/Brangus/Ultrablack bulls.

Back in the 70's and early 80's, when you could only import steers from Mexico for teamroping and dogging, I have seen prices at $500-$550 and up. After you could import cows and bulls, and people started raising them here ( Charlie Daniels' ranch was one of the first) I have seen prices some years $300 or less.

Here, everything is trailer weaned at 6 mos or so. Lots of people don't even cut the bull calves, and they bring close to what steers do. We weaned ours at 6 mos at around 500lbs. They were all solid black and polled, and no one could tell if they were 1/2 Corr. They bring whatever other Angus cross, polled black calves that age and weight bring. I did a poll on here once, with a pic of one of them, a Chi-angus ,a reg Angus , and ultra black, and some commercial mostly angus . None the Negative Nancy nay-sayers could pic them out. Only person that got it right was @MurraysMutts.

We only keep salt and minerals inside the corral we have on the place. No other food or supplements, no wormer or vaccines, etc. We'd round them up when they had all done calving and cut or band the bull calves. So, our total inputs was salt and minerals, and some rubber bands or single-edge razor blades.
No way in hell 120 British or Contiental cows with no inputs could thrive on that land. Even if they could, you'd have 5 to 6 times the proce per cow in them, so you would not make the money the Corrs make you. We probably had an average of $250 per head in these cows. about $30k. So, using the same money you might could buy 20 "good" beef cows , and they MIGHT thrive on that 200 acres of junk, but those 30 calves will not bring even half the money the Corr- Angus calves do. Let;s say caalves were down and these calves only brought $1 pound. 120 @ $500is $60k. Those other 30 beef breed calves would have to bring $2000 each at 500 lbs, and that aint gonna happen.

Brahmas would probably fair as well as far as the rough forage and no feed, but you couldn't run as many on that 200 acres. Probably 1/3rd or less, and you gonna have $1500 to $2500 each in those cows. Right now, all we have is 5 Plummer cows, a 1/2 Br /1/2 Chianina and a 1/2 Br.1/2 Chiangus , both 18 months old. and four 19 month Corr heifers on the place. And a Corr bull. Those seven 1/2 Brahmas all looked fat and happy a couple of weeks ago, but no way could we run 120 like that on the place without feed and supplements. The way I traded, I ended up with about $300-3250 in those Plummers, but you could probably only run 1 of them vs 3 Corrs on that place. The 2 half brahmas I probably have $1200 each in them, so they would not be as cost efficient as the Corrs. Bottom ;line is, on rough pasture like that, with no other inputs at all, and given the same money to buy cows with, no way in hell can you do better than these Corr cows bred to Angus/Brangus/Ultrablack bulls.
Thanks for this very detailed info. I have not tried the corr cattle but used LH starting out on very marginal grass. As grass improved so did my cattle as I have used char bull for several years. The char/lh cross did not bring half what a black would but continuous breeding back has brought better cow and better price. My question is where is your market for your calves? I much prefer the care that a corr needs to time/cost on current herd

I sell full corriente heifers $475-$610 a head
Steers $425-585 a head

Angus cross calves sell just as good as average beef calves. Obviously a angus corriente cross isn't gonna bring #1 angus steers

Not much! You would be lucky to get 200 bucks for a cracker cow, LH will bring double. That's for a pasture ornament.
As far as Corrientes go you see about as many as woolly mammoths.

Latest posts