Wiring Oops

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Hubby has been wiring the upstairs of the new house. He came down for lunch and told me to go take a look at it all. OK.

I get up there and am looking around. It looks good, right up to the point I look at the light switch for the light over the sink.
Problem.
We are planning on having one of those raised cabinets for the dishwasher and right where he put that switch will not be accessible. After pointing it out to him and discussing the kitchen layout some more he is going to move it to the other side of the sink.

I luv herfrds":33v9awkb said:
Hubby has been wiring the upstairs of the new house. He came down for lunch and told me to go take a look at it all. OK.

I get up there and am looking around. It looks good, right up to the point I look at the light switch for the light over the sink.
Problem.
We are planning on having one of those raised cabinets for the dishwasher and right where he put that switch will not be accessible. After pointing it out to him and discussing the kitchen layout some more he is going to move it to the other side of the sink.

Make sure you use lots of GFI switches...

Kingfisher":2kebd3y7 said:
I luv herfrds":2kebd3y7 said:

Problem.

If you want the switch itself GFCI protected, you'll need to use a GFCI breaker.

CottageFarm":1wwpnscz said:
Kingfisher":1wwpnscz said:
I luv herfrds":1wwpnscz said:

Problem.

If you want the switch itself GFCI protected, you'll need to use a GFCI breaker.

I don't hear folks using the "C" part of that much anymore. Mostly I hear GFI. I like the C.

My dad is a Master Electrician and the worst nightmares are the "do it yourselves" from people who think they know how do things right . No offence to your husband, but I suggest you get a ME to go over every little thing hubby does as you will need it for a permit and insurance anyways.

hillsdown":lcqgfwzt said:
My dad is a Master Electrician and the worst nightmares are the "do it yourselves" from people who think they know how do things right . No offence to your husband, but I suggest you get a ME to go over every little thing hubby does as you will need it for a permit and insurance anyways.

Actually, according to both NEC & 2006 IRC (codes), the primary owner (residential only) is allowed to perform his/her own electrical work. As long as it passes inspection, that's all that is required for an occupancy permit. Insurance generally has no requirement either way, except as pertains to construction and occupancy permits.
If you're finishing a portion of the house without obtaining a permit/inspection, that might become an issue at resale, but most buyers have inpections done at the time of purchase and most electrical issues will show on a multi-tester. It just sounds like your husband made a very minor oops in planning that is an easy fix.

HD he got a book on wiring before he even started. Our inspector has been out twice. Only has to change 1 outlet that is in the basement bathroom, it has to be put on a seperate breaker that is a GFCI.
He's been putting alot of them in the house. Also arc protectors in all the bedrooms.
Guessing about 3/4 of the house is wired. Didn't think we would have gotten this far. Just taking his time and doing it correctly.
Already got the permit.

Got a book on plumbing. Hope to start that this fall.

CottageFarm":3cyzi3rn said:
hillsdown":3cyzi3rn said:

Actually, according to both NEC & 2006 IRC (codes), the primary owner (residential only) is allowed to perform his/her own electrical work. As long as it passes inspection, that's all that is required for an occupancy permit. Insurance generally has no requirement either way, except as pertains to construction and occupancy permits.
If you're finishing a portion of the house without obtaining a permit/inspection, that might become an issue at resale, but most buyers have inpections done at the time of purchase and most electrical issues will show on a multi-tester. It just sounds like your husband made a very minor oops in planning that is an easy fix.

Who said he cannot do the work, I just suggested that they get a Master Electrician to inspect it for them. I do not give a shytt about codes, but rather who lives there and that they are safe ..

The inspector is an ME. He gave quite a few good suggestions before he started.
Has to be inspected or we could lose our insurance on the house.

ILH. Sounds like things are moving along well.Enjoy the process of house building. It can be trying at times but overall it should be rewarding. When we built our house I did a lot of the work and had subs also for some specific items so I had to meet their deadlines but even at that it was an enjoyable experience and the result is enjoyable also.
I think the thing we did that helped was that we did not have any changes at all from beginning to end and we kept each other from succumbing to "might as wells". You know when some one suggests that you might as well do this or that while you are building. We had decided before hand what we wanted and did not change our original list so there were no "discussions" or decisions that had to be made along the way.
From everything that I have read and remember it sounds like you really have the major plan set also. Good Luck!

Glad your getting it all figured out. Sounds like y'all have to much Gov. to me. We have to have our septic tank and drain line inspected here, and thats one time to many for me. Life, Liberty, and the prusuit of Happiness dosen't mean more Gov. inspections to me. Good Luck

I'll have to go up and take some pictures of the place with the lights on, boy did those logs look different along with the windows I stained and polyurathaned last year.

Hope to start finish polyurathaning the inside logs next week.

Here are some pictures.
The kitchen lights
IMG_6366.jpg

The livingroom
IMG_6367.jpg

Stairway
IMG_6365.jpg

This one I shot without the flash
IMG_6356.jpg

the pantry
IMG_6368.jpg

Just polyurethaned the logs today so they are shiny
IMG_6364.jpg

LUV IT !!!!!!! :clap:

Your package went in the mail today ILH.
Hopefully it crosses the border without incident.
Enjoy !!!! :tiphat:

Thank you so much HD. My kids went nuts when I told them, they can hardly wait. :D :D :tiphat:

Got 3 walls left to polyurethane. Climbed the ladder yesterday after an Our Father prayer and promply spilled some polyurethane on myself and the floor. Getting over my fear of ladders and heights but I think that will be as far as I climb is to the top log, inside. :D ;-)

I luv herfrds":3ahu61of said:
Thank you so much HD. My kids went nuts when I told them, they can hardly wait. :D :D :tiphat:

Got 3 walls left to polyurethane. Climbed the ladder yesterday after an Our Father prayer and promply spilled some polyurethane on myself and the floor. Getting over my fear of ladders and heights but I think that will be as far as I climb is to the top log, inside. :D ;-)

Let me know when you get it.
Be careful on the ladder, you are doing a great job though ,looks FAB !!! :banana: