Wireless internet

Help Support CattleToday:

Frankie":2um7zbmr said:
How old is your cell phone? We got new ones this year and reception is much, much better. We used to have to go outside to talk on the cell phone, but these new ones get good reception even inside the house. I don't mind going outside in the summer, but that north wind was tough. :)

Don't have one, just going by other peoples experience when they're here.
I figure that the time I'll need it is if I'm down in a bottom and stuck or broken down and need to call for help. If I'm at the house the chances of not being able to reach the regular phone are pretty slim.

dun

We have wireless at both our house and the ranch. Anyway to avoid giving money to SBC, we will do it. It is extremely reliable and works during storms as long as we have power.

The one at the ranch was just installed and for those of you who know about such things, the tower that we transmit to is over 13 miles away!! That is huge! We did have to install a 50 foot tower so that the signal would work.

I am on Wildblue now. I tried to run off a tower, but I am in a valley. The tower signal doesn't reach me.

So far so good, little slower than what I want. I am used to Roadrunner at the old house.

I am running three computers with wireless hub and works fine.

Yes, thunderstorms and heavy rain do mess the signal up a little.

The installer came and did a survey Friday. He says he can get a good signal while standing on the ground. So by the time he gets on the roof, we should be in good shape. He'll be back later this week and hook us up. I'm pretty excited. :D I don't know how far we are from the tower. It's an older tower, but they've done some technical upgrades on it recently that apparently expanded its range. He says, in theory, that signal should go on almost indefinitely if it doesn't hit something, a tree, a wall, a hill.

Where in Oklahoma are you? This is the first I have hard about an ISP with wireless. Are you sure they arent talking about Satelite?

I have setup lots of wireless LANs for work. They work great for a limited area. The problem with a wirless network for a larger area would be the cost associated with the towes and the amount of people logged on at a time. It is barely cost efective, if at all, to set up a network in a metropalitan area now, I think it would be prohibitive in a rural area. There are a few municipalities in California that have done it, with mixed results. There is lots of stuff on the net about it.

Basically the larger municipal systems are the same as the systems in a WIFI are with more powerful and multiple ant. The same holds true that the farther you get from the signal the weaker your signal and the more people logged on the slower the service. Many normal electronic devices will also interfere with the signal.

My personal opinion is they are great for a buisiness or home, but we arent were we need to be for a municiple system to take the place of a hard wired connection.

It may not be practical in some areas, but the local wireless eal uses water towers for antenna sites. The only problem we had in this area was when the electrical company put in their wireless system from a substation to headwuarters and there was radio frequency competition. I don;t kno the ins and outs but we had to change the polarity of the antenna and it solved the problem.

dun

3MR":232s1pu3 said:
Where in Oklahoma are you? This is the first I have hard about an ISP with wireless. Are you sure they arent talking about Satelite?

I have setup lots of wireless LANs for work. They work great for a limited area. The problem with a wirless network for a larger area would be the cost associated with the towes and the amount of people logged on at a time. It is barely cost efective, if at all, to set up a network in a metropalitan area now, I think it would be prohibitive in a rural area. There are a few municipalities in California that have done it, with mixed results. There is lots of stuff on the net about it.

Basically the larger municipal systems are the same as the systems in a WIFI are with more powerful and multiple ant. The same holds true that the farther you get from the signal the weaker your signal and the more people logged on the slower the service. Many normal electronic devices will also interfere with the signal.

My personal opinion is they are great for a buisiness or home, but we arent were we need to be for a municiple system to take the place of a hard wired connection.

I'm sure it's not satellite. I had decided we'd have to go with DirecWay (now Hughes) if we wanted high speed, but then had a couple of friends get on something else so I decided to wait and see what happened. I'm so glad that I did; installation and monthly charges are both much cheaper. There are several companys in OK providing high speed internet to the rural areas.

Hey Frankie

I guess I should have paid closer attention to the first message and I would have known where you were at.

What you are referring to as as wireless is different than what I was talking about. Thier system will not trully be wireless unless you or they install an actual wireless transmitter from the receiver they are installing, otherwise you will still have to plug in. There are still alot of things that can casue interference, but I wouldnt think you would have to worry about any of them

It is definitely a line of sight system in that it wont follow the earths curve. It will travel indefinitely out into space, but it wont bend.

Let me know how it works for you.

We have been checking out wireless broadband internet here also. Every provider we contact that comes out says they get a weak signal but not good enough for service. We have been wondering about putting in a tower but don't have the first idea of what one cost or where to get it. Can you tell me where you got your tower?

Cattle Baroness":24newrfr said:
We have wireless at both our house and the ranch. Anyway to avoid giving money to SBC, we will do it. It is extremely reliable and works during storms as long as we have power.

The one at the ranch was just installed and for those of you who know about such things, the tower that we transmit to is over 13 miles away!! That is huge! We did have to install a 50 foot tower so that the signal would work.