Wire pullers

Help Support CattleToday:

TexLonghornRanch

Reaction score
I bought a piece of junk wire puller at tractor supply. I need a good wire puller that will grab slick (horse) wire. I have seached the net but can find a good one.

Help!

Idea? Links? Where to buy?

About the only good thing I buy at TSC is their candy.

I bought a squeeze chute from them and it was/is a good one but it took me three days and a phone call to headquarters before they would sell it to me. And all I wanted them to do was service the thing (grease it, clean it up since it had been sitting on the lot for two years and was rusty and wouldn't work) and help me load it. They rufused to do it - if I wanted it it was list price, no service and load it myself.

I try not to go there unless I just have to.

I have an old wire grab that's probably around 30 years old that still works to perfection, hooks on the hook at the end of a comelaong. I've seen dozens of others that are similar and some that are different that are supposed to be the real cats meow. They all are crap compared tho the old one. I painted it bright red and repaint it each year. The red stands out when I drop it in the grass. That's the only reason I haven;'t lost it.

Hmmm, I've always made a loop with the slick wire, twisted it back around, and looped it over the come-a-long's hook.

Don't tell me I've been doing it wrong all these years.....

The Bachelor":uy0znpz2 said:
Hmmm, I've always made a loop with the slick wire, twisted it back around, and looped it over the come-a-long's hook.

Don't tell me I've been doing it wrong all these years.....

That's fine when you are pulling to an end. Don't like it for really long spans. I like the fence stretcher for patching or splicing.

backhoeboogie":wgmmyssm said:
That's fine when you are pulling to an end. Don't like it for really long spans. I like the fence stretcher for patching or splicing.

Ahhh, makes sense. The thing I know I've been doing wrong is I haven't racheted a come-a-long in years. Just hook it to the tractor and stretch in low 1. Everytime I pop a wire I'll say I won't do it again..... but the skull is thick and the mind is feeble......

TexLonghornRanch":2qk3iua2 said:
I bought a piece of junk wire puller at tractor supply. I need a good wire puller that will grab slick (horse) wire. I have seached the net but can find a good one.

Help!

Idea? Links? Where to buy?

I never stretch smooth wire - I use a wrench to tighten it.

What I do is put a "ratchet device" at each end - or I might just put it at one end and tie the other off to an insulator - I truly hate the other design ratchet - placed in the middle of the fence line.

In fact it is called a strainer - but whatever.

Here is a link: http://staytuff.com/fence-tools.htm

Every single piece of smooth wire fencing on this property has at least one of these on a post. If the wire starts to get a bit loose I simply take my 5/8's wrench and give it a couple of turns. Be careful - you can pull the other end post out of the ground or snap the line - this thing pulls hard and never slips.

If you want to heat up the line with power - just be sure you have an insulator between the ratchet and the fence post. I must have close to 15 - 20 miles of this stuff.

I have a few of them on barbed but they do not work as well. Always wondered why anyone would ever do smooth wire in any other manner after I discovered this technique.

I have some on fences now for more than 5 years and it takes me less than an hour to tighten all the fences on the place. You can even use a battery powered drill to do the work if you want. In the winter I slack off all the fence lines in event of trees coming down or deer and moose running into them.

Snow gets so deep here I never worry about the cows - they will not leave the feed yard - even with the gate open.

Regards

Bez>

If anyone wants some practical experience next week, PM me. I'll let you try the stretcher, the come-a-long, or the tractor to pull wire. :lol: :lol: Then you can decide which is best. It seems the Brazos flood is taking out most of my fencing on the flood plain.

backhoeboogie":2eu7rrx0 said:
If anyone wants some practical experience next week, PM me. I'll let you try the stretcher, the come-a-long, or the tractor to pull wire. :lol: :lol: Then you can decide which is best. It seems the Brazos flood is taking out most of my fencing on the flood plain.

I'm headed out the door now on the fencing tractor now (John Deere B ) If I'm not there in time, try the others first :)

Latest posts