Winter's Wood

Help Support CattleToday:

rattler

Reaction score
We had a big oak tree down below the house that we cut before the sap started comeing up here's a few pic's

003.jpg

006.jpg

004.jpg

rattler

Looks like that will be great for next winter and it has already started warming you up once, by cutting and splitting it. I wish I was that far ahead for next winter. Thanks for the pictures.

Lotta wood in one of those old oaks.
Do you find it seasons OK in a shed like that rattler? Up here I would pile it where the wind could get at it , likely for 2 seasons.

Had some hard maple trunks dropped in my yard by the town last fall, about 40"in diameter and 15 feet long, been playing with them this week, makes it challenging with an 18" bar!

Thanks for the pix!

AngusLimoX":2riadsou said:
Lotta wood in one of those old oaks.
Do you find it seasons OK in a shed like that rattler? Up here I would pile it where the wind could get at it , likely for 2 seasons.

Had some hard maple trunks dropped in my yard by the town last fall, about 40"in diameter and 15 feet long, been playing with them this week, makes it challenging with an 18" bar!

Thanks for the pix!
ALX by fall it will be ready to go but likely it will be 2 winter's before it get's burnt cause i cot two up last fall that blew down havent any of them yet.Last year i used a i8" bar on the two i sawed up had to saw both side's this year i have a 20"bar and still had to cut both side's.

Jalopy you are right a chainsaw has a way of warming you up ;-)

rattler

nice! Hard for this old desert rat to comprehend all that from one tree, or needing a shed, or needing 2 years to season it! we use a lot of dead mesquite just because it is easy to find and I am lazy (have a 3-piece rule - when I'm out driving around and see a minimum of three good chunks then I stop and throw them in the back, won't stop for one or two :D )

Had cousin cutting it green for firewood (extra $$) and trading "rights" for a few loads - it dries enough to burn in a couple weeks! (although I confess it IS better a year later and for sure when using the grill) but we don't cut ourselves.

So whats with the chair? Is that for the supervisor to make sure she doesn't daddle while she's splitting wood? ;-) :lol2:

That was a big tree. I cut a pecan down yesterday and tried my best to get it all spit before it got tough. Kinda enjoyed it.

Jogeephus":1ho54vlj said:
So whats with the chair? Is that for the supervisor to make sure she doesn't daddle while she's splitting wood? ;-) :lol2:

That was a big tree. I cut a pecan down yesterday and tried my best to get it all spit before it got tough. Kinda enjoyed it.

Yep joe you figured that one in a hurry she even got her chopblock close enough to prop her feet on. :lol2: :lol2:

rattler

If my eyes don't deceive me there looks to be a Flexible Flyer wagon under the barn so I'm gonna guess you got yourself some good help.

Jogeephus":39kh64we said:
If my eyes don't deceive me there looks to be a Flexible Flyer wagon under the barn so I'm gonna guess you got yourself some good help.

Yep jo i had the all my crew telling me how to do it( i mean helping me) but i'll take all the morral support i can get.

Thank's Bigbull
\
rattler

rattler":1f51nhl2 said:
[.Last year i used a i8" bar on the two i sawed up had to saw both side's this year i have a 20"bar and still had to cut both side's.
rattler

Still rather process blocks than fiddle with limbs and pole wood. Make a swat of wood in a hurry.

Still rather process blocks than fiddle with limbs and pole wood. Make a swat of wood in a hurry

I hear you ALX i don't like the top's and the small stuff they useually break down when they fall.

rattler

Latest posts