Winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Dave

Reaction score
Enough already!!! Where I am sitting right now is less than 2 miles from Salt water and under 100 feet in elevation. It is snowing. And I mean putting it down. This has been the longest winter in recent history. In the past I have been able to turn cows to grass by March 25. No way that happens this year.
We are going to find that groundhog and drag his sorry backside out of his den. We aren't going to go easy on him. it will be slow and painful. He will think twice before making a long winter decision again.

Ain't no winter here we had a weekend of winter the rest has been fall or spring like weather. I am afraid of what the bugs are going to be like this year. They were horrible last year.

I'm going to sound old, but the winter of 93/94 was about like this. Dry and warm. So was 07. We had an Easter freeze on one of those, and a drought on the other.

Winter has been super mild, winds another story completely. 30 mph winds with higher gusts has been the norm all winter lone. Might as well be back in the Mojave Desert

We get a lot of rain in the winter but this is the PNW. This year the temperature has been low enough to get an inch or so of snow in the morning that melts by noon. But it has been doing it pretty darn regularly for about four months now. The east side of the state hasn't been warming up enough to melt it off. They have had a couple feet or more of snow since the first week of December.

Dave":13rc949t said:
Enough already!!! Where I am sitting right now is less than 2 miles from Salt water and under 100 feet in elevation. It is snowing. And I mean putting it down. This has been the longest winter in recent history. In the past I have been able to turn cows to grass by March 25. No way that happens this year.
We are going to find that groundhog and drag his sorry backside out of his den. We aren't going to go easy on him. it will be slow and painful. He will think twice before making a long winter decision again.

Must be global warming - wait, you said it's snowing. :lol: My cattle have stopped eating hay and are eating green grass.

Been a crazy "winter" here too. Only one snow right in this area of about 4-6 inches. Usually get a foot or two over the winter at least. Temps 25 one day, 65 two days later; more of the 40's to 60's than we ever see. Might see a long cooler spring and then turning hot. Rain til june last year, then turned off the spigot. This year the winds have been way more than normal here too. The ground is very dry and everyone is getting a bit worried that if it doesn't start raining some we might wind up with drought conditions. Have aleady had daffodils blooming, seen some yellow forsythia flowers and the decorative pear trees are ready to burst into flower...all about a month or more early....never know from one day to the next whether to wear the insulated overalls or a short sleeve shirt to go out the door.

farmerjan":19mas2sc said:
Been a crazy "winter" here too. Only one snow right in this area of about 4-6 inches. Usually get a foot or two over the winter at least. Temps 25 one day, 65 two days later; more of the 40's to 60's than we ever see. Might see a long cooler spring and then turning hot. Rain til june last year, then turned off the spigot. This year the winds have been way more than normal here too. The ground is very dry and everyone is getting a bit worried that if it doesn't start raining some we might wind up with drought conditions. Have aleady had daffodils blooming, seen some yellow forsythia flowers and the decorative pear trees are ready to burst into flower...all about a month or more early....never know from one day to the next whether to wear the insulated overalls or a short sleeve shirt to go out the door.
The bradford pears have been blooming for almost 2 weeks here. The Shadberry trees are usually first but them and pears bloomed at the same time. Peaches started blooming yesterday

Sounds like the common factor is extremely high winds. I have never experienced the kind of winds we've had the last 2 weeks, not even standing on the top of some pretty good peaks! Bizarre.

Three inches of rain with thunderstorms the past two days, just got a fire hazard alert for tomorrow due to low humidity and high wind, and best of all is the chance of 6-8" of snow this weekend.

Funny...dun! Bradford and Keizer pear trees bloomed here and have now turned completely green with new leaves. Redbud trees and wisteria in full bloom here now. Our weather seems to have been running true to the long range forecaste for warmer than usual temperatures. I haven't minded that at all. We've had a lot of wind also. BUT, we're getting dry and I was disappointed in the small amount of rain we received last night. Although, it was better than none at all. I just hope we don't follow the predicted "drier than normal" Spring.

oscarsteve":38xg3v7r said:
Funny...dun! Bradford and Keizer pear trees bloomed here and have now turned completely green with new leaves. Redbud trees and wisteria in full bloom here now. Our weather seems to have been running true to the long range forecaste for warmer than usual temperatures. I haven't minded that at all. We've had a lot of wind also. BUT, we're getting dry and I was disappointed in the small amount of rain we received last night. Although, it was better than none at all. I just hope we don't follow the predicted "drier than normal" Spring.
Other than the pears and shadburry the only thing blooming is magnolias. Nothing else is doing anything.........YET. Good thing. 75 tomorrow and snow on saturday

Latest posts