winter wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

I've planted it as late is mid October and done ok. But those were winters when we didn;t get any early freezing. I start aroundf the first of august and keep going until the end of september.

dun

as said oct is as late as youd want to plant winter wheat.it takes 60 days atlest till it gets big enough to graze.an also start feeding your cows high mag minerals atlest before you start grazing.an you will only want to let them graze 2hrs a day.an then drive them out an shut the gate.you should see a 5lb day increase in milk production or more pre cow.if its real ruddy dont graze them.youll lose alot of grazing by pulling it up.

Here, you can plant it as late as Dec. 1. You wont get any fall grazing on it if you plant it that late, but alot of people I know plant it at that time, because they want the spring crop, not the fall crop and they simply dont get around to planting it any sooner. If you want fall grazing, it should be planted around Sept 1

here in Kansas the best time is the Final week in Sept/First week of Oct... You get an average amount of feed off of it, if your looking for more grazing plant it now arround a expected rain... A neighbor plants it in Early August, and then pasteurs it all winter, turns arrounds and bales it in the dough stage... and then burn down with roundup and Plant corn, the corn can be silaged then late/mid August for additional feed... 3 crops of feed in one year...

Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking we wanted it more for (if we are lucky) some winter grazing and spring. Very helpful.

Gail

GMN":3gzbaib9 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I'm thinking we wanted it more for (if we are lucky) some winter grazing and spring. Very helpful.

Gail

Winter wheat goes dormant after the first killing frost and does not grow until the ground warms up in the spring. Depending on your climate, you may not get much winter grazing out of it.

msscamp":364pxo61 said:
GMN":364pxo61 said:

Gail

Winter wheat goes dormant after the first killing frost and does not grow until the ground warms up in the spring. Depending on your climate, you may not get much winter grazing out of it.

Msscamp there must be a lot of starving calves and cows running from North Texas to Nebraska that run on wheat all winter long.

Jake":2w23fpz0 said:
msscamp":2w23fpz0 said:
GMN":2w23fpz0 said:

Gail

Msscamp there must be a lot of starving calves and cows running from North Texas to Nebraska that run on wheat all winter long.

The warmer the climate, the longer the growing season, and the taller the wheat grows before going dormant - hence my statement of "you may not get much winter grazing out of it". Our growing season is not long enough for the wheat to provide grazing - I don't know about anyone elses. One could plant it earlier to attain more growth, but to do that is also inviting disease if they have planted to achieve a crop in addition to the grazing.

http://www.clover.okstate.edu/fourh/ait ... mant%3F%22

Latest posts