winter wheat

Help Support CattleToday:

GMN

Reaction score
How early can you plant winter wheat? Can you plant it with something else?

Thanks

GMN

I will drill in winter wheat mixed with rye, and maybe some clover.I do it in late september or early october here.Depends on the moisture.If we get some rain I do it,otherwise I wait until we do. ;-) :cboy:

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":2ojbg89o said:
I just overseed my existing pastures with it.I also have a few acres that I keep them fenced off of until early spring. ;-) :cboy:

How do you plant that, no till or broadcast, and how much per acre?

GMN

I drill it in, can't remember what the setting is,it is an old drill.I buy 100 lbs of wheat, and 100 lbs of rye, covers about 35 acres.Works well for me, comes up and they graze it until the weather gets hot,then the native grasses, bermuda,lespedeza, etc kicks in. I also have quite a bit of fescue mixed in,along with some dallas grass,bahia,etc that has gotten started over the years. :cboy:

GMN, when you plant wheat depends on whether or not you are planning to pasture it in the fall. Here, if you are going to pasture it in the fall, plant it around Sept. 1, if you are not going to pasture it, plant it in Nov, up until Dec 1. You can plant most any kind of permanent grass with it. It makes a real good cover crop to take the hay off in May and have your permanent grass to go on from there----Fescue, Orchardgrass, alfalfa, clover, brome, all of them take off well after the wheat is cut for hay. If you are planting another grass with the wheat, you need to plant it the first of Sept or during Sept, so the other grasses will establish themselves before winter.

Springer,

Why winter wheat ? Why not just rye grass ? I am just wondering. I have never seeded any pasture but am thinking about doing it this fall.

If you plant a pasture grass or legume with ww can you pasture it in nov without damaging the grass or legume?

Yes, you can pasture it, but use common sense and dont eat it into the ground. Let the wheat or rye get established and make sure you pasture it before it joints to keep it from winter killing. The cattle will concentrate on the wheat or rye and if you dont let them eat it into the ground, the other grass will be fine. The exception is alfalfa, which you wont pasture, anyway, it will be for hay

Around here, the most common way to plant winter wheat is to no till it. Out in grain country they disc and make a good seed bed. I usually use a bushel of rye or wheat to the acre, when planting other grass for fall pasture and spring hay or pasture. Runs about 8 dollars per bushel for the rye or less for the wheat. I usually put some fertilize in the fall to give it a start and then fertilize in the spring.

stocky":3fhckopg said:
GMN, when you plant wheat depends on whether or not you are planning to pasture it in the fall. Here, if you are going to pasture it in the fall, plant it around Sept. 1, if you are not going to pasture it, plant it in Nov, up until Dec 1. You can plant most any kind of permanent grass with it. It makes a real good cover crop to take the hay off in May and have your permanent grass to go on from there----Fescue, Orchardgrass, alfalfa, clover, brome, all of them take off well after the wheat is cut for hay. If you are planting another grass with the wheat, you need to plant it the first of Sept or during Sept, so the other grasses will establish themselves before winter.

We wanted to use it as pasture, in fall, and maybe throughout winter, if we have a mild winter. So, if I'm understanding you right, we can no till it in with an existing grass stand, and it will come up, and the cows will eat mostly that. Put a little fertilizer down when we plant it? How much per acre do you put down, with an existing stand? Or did you mean, disc up a field, no till ww and also another grass at the same time?

Thanks

GMN

Latest posts