winter wheat pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

KNERSIE

Reaction score
Just out of curiosity... as we usually plant oats and rye grass here for winter grazing.

In the warmer climates, at which temperatures is the earliest you can plant wheat for winter grazing? What would be the typical seeding rate? Do you fertilise after germinating or at planting and how much N? Do you get any regrowth or is it a once only grazing?

We pant in late august, that's when the temps are starting to run more in the 70s range. I fertilize at planting but don;t recall the seeding rate or the fertilization rate. We graze it in the early spring, pull the cows off then hay it when it regrows and starts to set heads. The heivier it's planted the more upright and taller the growth.
I end up asking thr seed/fertilizer folks each year the rates to use.

I seed it at the same time as my coolgrazer rye which is usually in Sept. preferably before the 15th and I No-till at 100lbs pr acre for grazing and hay production
If on a prepared seed bed I broadcast at the same rate
I use turkey litter for fert but if I do add commercial N I apply 50lbs of N per acre

I have went away from wheat mainly because the coolgrazer rye will produce more tonnage pr acre and it will continue to grow in cooler weather therefore extending the grazing and later and has more growth the next spring

I start with 50 units of N too. If weather is good and things are going well I might come back with a second shot later in the year. Some people say to use a unit of N for each day of grazing you expect it to yield.

winter wheat is common here we seed at 100/120 per acre depends on soil type in late summer sept for us and put down 100 lbs N. in feb another 100 / 200 N judging by its needs weather and such and pull the cows off 15 march and cut it for hay or grain. grazing it will take about 7 to 10 bushels an acre from the production but its worth it at times to combine and others for the hay

here we always tryed to get the wheat dryed in by sept 15th.an planted 100lbs to the ac.that way you could get early fall growth.unless the army worms hitt you.

Latest posts