Winter trail riding

Help Support CattleToday:

MistyMorning

Reaction score
Just got in a bit ago from about an hour ride. Took my pony out for only the second time since Thanksgiving as it's been so blasted cold here so far this winter. She was ready to go! Thank goodness for about three feet of snow and an open field. :D

I was wondering if any other northern climate folks rode much in the winter.

Sold my horse the fall of 06, but used to ride some in the winter.
As a kid I rode almost daily in the winter ~ year round.

I know for sure that when spring came, and I hadn't been on my horse often, she would be full of spit and sass the first few times out! I miss it some though. Got room for 2 on there?? :nod:

since it doesn't get really cold down here so i rode all the time. but i sold my horse because i outgrew him. but we went for a ride up a mountain not to long ago in NC. it was fun.

I had the day off work on Monday and went riding with my daughters. We ride through the winter-though my girls ride more than this old lady! By the time spring comes their horses are in pretty good shape. This winter has been tough though with record snowfall, partial melt and now ice. It doesn't make for very good footing! My girls seem to love the cold weather...just put on the bridle and swing up on the back and off they go! Bareback keeps them warmer-not to mention the racing they do on the trails! I think that a lot of people miss out on a real great experience by not riding in the winter. There's nothing quite as quiet as a walk through the woods with the snow falling.

Winter is the best time to learn how to ride bareback, and do balance exersizes cause it dont hurt when you fall. I love riding through the snow. I am VERY careful where i go though. I tend to not ride on places that cars drive that is dirt. underneath the top snow layer it can be quite slippery. Then again my horses dont wear shoes, so they dont have cleats. I have a gaited horse who tends to be heavy so the snow really helps him with his gait and lose weight. its a blast.

MistyMorning":7ad805q6 said:
angie":7ad805q6 said:
Got room for 2 on there?? :nod:

I'm quite sure the old nag would be well pleased for an opportunity such as this! :shock:
Dear MM's Horse,
Get off the computer and back into the barn. We do not call MM "old nag" on a public forum, it is disrespectful. We only do that behind her back.

Sheesh, some people's horses...... :roll:

VtMapleGal":3pkz2j1x said:
Winter is the best time to learn how to ride bareback, and do balance exersizes cause it dont hurt when you fall.

Good point about falling. Normally, that would work. I just have 2 problems right now...first, my horse is almost 17 hands and since I am sadly out of shape, I don't trust myself to ride bareback. And, second, out here in Idaho after it snows, we get what I call 'Idaho Ice' everything turns to a wonderful sheet of ice so if I fell it would hurt quite a bit!!!

I too, have a gaited horse and totally agree that the snow, or ice-crust, is good for developing the gait.

It's SUPPOSED to warm up enough here by the weekend to ride again. I sure wish I could jump on without the saddle, the old nag would just give me her trademark "look" though and I don't care how much snow we have, the fall off would hurt. :shock: Maybe next year. :nod:

How warm is warm in Minnesota? We are supposed to get up above freezing tomorrow here in North Idaho! Yippee!!! Especially since my hydrant by the barn froze last night. Oh goody-hauling water to 6 horses-my favorite thing! :x

jonbri55":t6dohy4h said:
How warm is warm in Minnesota? We are supposed to get up above freezing tomorrow here in North Idaho! Yippee!!! Especially since my hydrant by the barn froze last night. Oh goody-hauling water to 6 horses-my favorite thing! :x

How warm is warm? Well, since this has been an especially cold winter, I'm thinking most of us Minnesoootans would love to see some +20's. That's the forecast for the weekend so far. The phone calls have started and it looks like there will be some riding. :D

Oh, good luck with that water hauling, done that before and empathize with ya. :nod:

Latest posts