Winter Starts Tomorrow

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
December 21 - The Winter Solstice occurs in the northern hemisphere at 12:04 UT. The Sun is at its lowest point in the sky and it will be the shortest day of the year. This is also the first day of winter.

Temp is 10 Below (warmest all day) on its way to 25 Below predicted tonight- wind has been blowing 20-30 mph all day with wind chills down around 40 Below--and I was just reminded that winter doesn't start til tomorrow.... :shock: :shock: :shock:

Seems like we've had an eternity of winter already... :roll:

Yep sure am glad we have all these parameters to go by. :roll:
Shortest day tomorrow and then they start getting longer again, I hate it being dark by 4:15 pm, so I am looking forward to the longer days. Sunshine would be nice sometimes too..

Going to be below -40 tonight brrr, hope the cows and heifers stay warm. More importantly I hope my deutz starts tomorrow so I can feed the critters , I would use the skid steer but apparently it has decided that it needs new glow plugs.. :x Maybe I should have learned to drive the belerus this year ,it is a piece of crap but it always seems to start when its plugged in.. :?

Stay warm tonight everyone ..

Suppose to get above zero on Monday, hope they aren't teasing us. Forcasting it to get in the twenties later in the week. Boy that would feel like a heat wave to us. :D

we're supposed to warm up from -12C to about -5 tomorrow, and get 4-8 inches of white stuff

Summer, hurry up and come back, I miss you!

I luv herfrds":3h4l3l9r said:
Suppose to get above zero on Monday, hope they aren't teasing us. Forcasting it to get in the twenties later in the week. Boy that would feel like a heat wave to us. :D

27 Below again this morning with 40 Below chill factor...If it gets above zero this week we'll be going sun bathing... :banana:

I keep thinking in the back of my pessimistic little mind- that our coldest month- January- isn't even here yet... :???:

One thing nice about a stretch of bitter cold weather. Once it gets to about +5 sunny, no wind, We think it's beautiful weather. :nod:

Oldtimer":1ajhdoq4 said:
I luv herfrds":1ajhdoq4 said:

27 Below again this morning with 40 Below chill factor...If it gets above zero this week we'll be going sun bathing... :banana:

I keep thinking in the back of my pessimistic little mind- that our coldest month- January- isn't even here yet... :???:
The long range forecasters [not that I believe a word of it] say, Dec will be our coldest month, look for Feb thaws. :welcome:

Yes winter started today and so did my 37th year of marriage. But look at the bright side THE DAYS ARE GETTING LONGER. :D :D

Angus Guy":35xde5tq said:
Yes winter started today and so did my 37th year of marriage. But look at the bright side THE DAYS ARE GETTING LONGER. :D :D
Congrats on the Ann. many many more, We had 2 degrees this morning plenty of NW wind, makes it plenty cool, And yes in a couple/3 weeks we'll start to notice the days getting a little longer, wont be long till little whitefaces start appearing around here.
DFF

Was -5 at 8am,but the wind that is blowing cuts right through you. Dogs didn't even want to stay outside, which is unusal.

Fitting weather for today, right now it is 39 with winds N at 17. Feels colder than last week when it was 30. Don't think it is going to make 47 like forcasted.

mnmtranching":32pfnlna said:
One thing nice about a stretch of bitter cold weather. Once it gets to about +5 sunny, no wind, We think it's beautiful weather. :nod:

LORD, what I would give for some of that beautiful weather right about now. Wind chills are -25 to -30 below right now. Hubby is at the farm cursing himself for doing the right thing at the wrong time. He helped a friend cut some wood for his furnace yesterday.

But today the tractor jelled up out in the field after feeding two bales. Two bales will get the cows til tomorrow when it supposed be only -10 with wind chills. But the tractor will still be jelled. Not sure how to get it into the shed once he pulls it out of the field. When the tractor don't run, you can't steer. The shed is packed full of equipment so you can't pull it into the shed. He can get it to the door, but then what. I think they are working on a way to get it tarped up and a propane heater set-up under it. The only parts house open today, doesn't have the fuel filters needed.

You would think this is our first dance in Wisconsin. :mad:

I am hoping that December and January will be turned around this year, and December will be our coldest month. I don't know how we would handle a January colder than this December has been.

Michele

I was just thrilled to see water coming out of the hydrants this am , the thought of dealing with frozen water lines is just beyond me. Had one calf shivering and pounded em all with feed . Never will understand furry things that won't go stand in a perfectly windproof barn. but the sun was a shining , one good thing !
time to fire up the homemade Dad's famous vegetable soup this afternoon !

Latest posts