WINTER RYE GRASS

Help Support CattleToday:

RICHARDL

Reaction score
I read the topic of discusssion on winter rye, My question would be how long can i leave them on in the rye grass field? A day, hours, everyother day. ??? they have been on hay since early november. But with all the rain. I gave up waiting on the rye to get taller, and just turned them loose on the rye & drier pastures. Just to at least get them out of the mud for a while and maybe save my 2 smaller pastures from turning into a mud field. :cowboy:

Well, it will take about a day or so before the squirts get really bad if you leave them on full time and the trouble with that is the waste of future grazing because they will eat thru it till it is gone. As I said in the other thread, it has been to cloudy, wet and cool for much growth right now. Part of the need of an early start prepairing winter pastures is essential in order to get some growth on them before this seasonal slump shows up. We had a pretty good drying out day today so hopefully you have one on the way too.

Now would be a good time to feed some of the "not so great hay" if you have any and can turn them on and off the rye. With a belly full of green rye they will be happy to eat just about any kind of hay as long as they can't get back to the rye in a day or so.

I'm having the same problems with sloppy pastures and trying to find a simi-dry environment for them. I'm sure this won't be a problem much longer and will have to figgure what to do with some of the damage in the spring and summer when I'm almost certain we will be cussin how dry it is. :frowns:

Yea, Ha ha But what I noticed they were doing, and i'm not there most of the day with work & all. But my girl is home. Its seems that they graze on the rye early in the day. than they head to the regular old pasture field and graze on that for the afternoon. theres some bahia and other green grass growing in there. I walked the field, and it doesn't seem like there over grazing. I really wanted to wait till at least after Jan 1 to put them on that, But .... they seem to be taking care of them selfs so i think i'm just going to keep my eye on them & the field and go from there and leave them where they are since my other 2 fields are wet, sloppy, and not much to graze on, if i have to i'll put up a temp. electic fence to keep them out . Calling for more rain tomorrow for us. we are offically caught up on our rain total for the year i think 3 inches over. I complain about it but i shouldn't
:cowboy:

Yep, we have caught up to and surpassed our "average" rainfall too. Supposed to start up again this afternoon for 3 days.

I think they are calling it EL nino. Instead of getting a hurricane we get El nino :cowboy:

RICHARDL":1e9hus5p said:
I think they are calling it EL nino. Instead of getting a hurricane we get El nino :cowboy:
Yeah, before they called it el nino it was just winter weather. :nod: Have they ever explained why one el nino will be dry and another wet?

I believe that El nin - YO is the wet one,

and that El nin YA is the dry one.

So we have an elnino this year...next year we may have an el ninya....we had elninya all summer which kept the drought rocking for most of last year.

Latest posts