Winter protein for the dollar

Help Support CattleToday:

molassesman":rsx3cwdn said:
liquid tubs 32% supplemented with hay cost around 2 dollars a day per cow.38% cubes around 2.50 a day per cow, I COULD be wrong, just a suggestion.
I don't understand that math....please explain.

rk":1zgt13wz said:
molassesman":1zgt13wz said:
liquid tubs 32% supplemented with hay cost around 2 dollars a day per cow.38% cubes around 2.50 a day per cow, I COULD be wrong, just a suggestion.
I don't understand that math....please explain.

That is over twice as much cost that it should take to feed a cow per day in order to make a profit according to economic surveys of cow/calf prodcuers. I know most people are using these just during the winter but on a yearly basis at that cost that is over $600/year, and I think the national average is around $350/year/cow and the most profitable producers are down around $250/year. The crystilex should cost you around $.50 to $.75/day, so that $2/day sounds high even with hay costs.

Liquid feed is about .13 cents a lb,depending on consusumption rate but generally a cow will eat 1 to 2 lbs per day,so about .26 cents plus hay and minerals.............good luck
PS The tubs I use are about .24 cents/lb,not something you would want to keep out all year.
The secret of course is ..........test your forage/hay.give em what they need when they need it.

We feed a ration made up of 60% WDG (a byproduct of ethenal plants), we mix it with staw and pack it like silage. 10% beat pulp and 30% oat straw and corn. We don't need to feed high priced alfalfa with the WDG, you can get it for around $20.00 to $30.00 per ton. I also own a feed store and think that it is really more what you like to feed. In my area cake is about 3 cents cheaper than protein tubs but you have to consider gas and wear and tear on you pickup with caking every day instead of once a week with tubs. We feed Loomix to our cows it is a little more expensive but I belive it is worth it.

loomis":2kb2wfsz said:
We feed a ration made up of 60% WDG (a byproduct of ethenal plants), we mix it with staw and pack it like silage. 10% beat pulp and 30% oat straw and corn. We don't need to feed high priced alfalfa with the WDG, you can get it for around $20.00 to $30.00 per ton. I also own a feed store and think that it is really more what you like to feed. In my area cake is about 3 cents cheaper than protein tubs but you have to consider gas and wear and tear on you pickup with caking every day instead of once a week with tubs. We feed Loomix to our cows it is a little more expensive but I belive it is worth it.

are you sure about that price/ton on WDG?

hayray":23kgi5v1 said:
loomis":23kgi5v1 said:

Yes in my location there are 4 ethenol plats within 100 mile and ther will be 2 more by next year. 2 month ago when we first started feeding it they had so much extra that one plant hire one of my truck to haul it 3 mile from the plant and dump it on a stubble field. They gave us the first 4 loads now that the feedlot ore filling up and using more they don't have a problem getting rid of it. Once in a wile we will get a phone call from one of them and they have some extra but we can normaly find someone to take it to.

loomis":3ffn236l said:
hayray":3ffn236l said:
loomis":3ffn236l said:

Yes in my location there are 4 ethenol plats within 100 mile and ther will be 2 more by next year. 2 month ago when we first started feeding it they had so much extra that one plant hire one of my truck to haul it 3 mile from the plant and dump it on a stubble field. They gave us the first 4 loads now that the feedlot ore filling up and using more they don't have a problem getting rid of it. Once in a wile we will get a phone call from one of them and they have some extra but we can normaly find someone to take it to.

They want to sell it here for $180/ton with a 50 ton minimum.

hayray":2q3jv6ue said:
loomis":2q3jv6ue said:
hayray":2q3jv6ue said:
loomis":2q3jv6ue said:

Poet is selling ddgs @ $118 per ton today. Last time I checked wdg was $65 per ton.

somn":2o51qqgh said:
hayray":2o51qqgh said:
loomis":2o51qqgh said:
hayray":2o51qqgh said:
loomis":2o51qqgh said:

Poet is selling ddgs @ $118 per ton today. Last time I checked wdg was $65 per ton.

They have a 65 ton min contract hear to but we buy contracts and then move it with our trucks and sell to people that can't take that much at a time. As for the price all I can say is LOCATION LOCATION LOCATION.

loomis":38hvcdts said:
We feed a ration made up of 60% WDG (a byproduct of ethenal plants), we mix it with staw and pack it like silage. 10% beat pulp and 30% oat straw and corn. We don't need to feed high priced alfalfa with the WDG, you can get it for around $20.00 to $30.00 per ton.

What equipment do you use to mix and store this WDG silage blend?

Why the 10% beet pulp?

Stocker Steve":30q7gbi6 said:
loomis":30q7gbi6 said:
We feed a ration made up of 60% WDG (a byproduct of ethenal plants), we mix it with staw and pack it like silage. 10% beat pulp and 30% oat straw and corn. We don't need to feed high priced alfalfa with the WDG, you can get it for around $20.00 to $30.00 per ton.

Why the 10% beet pulp?

I Use a Skid loader to mix and any other tractor to pack the WDG silage, you have to make shure that you don't make the pile to steep because the WDG is verry slick. Beet pulp has 90% of the nutritional value that corn silage has but for a fraction of the cost. It is cheep enough to be used as a filler to cheapin the intire ration.

loomis":l6viyr04 said:
Stocker Steve":l6viyr04 said:
loomis":l6viyr04 said:

I Use a Skid loader to mix and any other tractor to pack the WDG silage, you have to make shure that you don't make the pile to steep because the WDG is verry slick.

Do you get any dry straw clumps that mold?

Stocker Steve":2owtd1ar said:
loomis":2owtd1ar said:
Stocker Steve":2owtd1ar said:
loomis":2owtd1ar said:

I Use a Skid loader to mix and any other tractor to pack the WDG silage, you have to make shure that you don't make the pile to steep because the WDG is verry slick.

Do you get any dry straw clumps that mold?

Yes a little it is alot like corn silage there is a layer on the out side that will mold but nothing to bad.

Chris H":in6518go said:
We'll be supplementing cornstalks with dried distillers grain & corn.
what mix do you use with you corn to distillers grain

what percent protien is it when you mix corn and ddg 50/50 and will this make a quality mix

around 18%. We haven't had much luck using more than 30% ddgs in the total ration. Fats to high.

Latest posts