Winter Pasture/Shelter/Working Facilities

Help Support CattleToday:

slvr98svt

Reaction score
Well, after 6 years of making do with panels for corrals/working facilities and makeshift winter sheds it is time for me to build what I hope to be an all inclusive facility.

Quick background is I am in western NY so I overwinter in a pasture and feed dry hay and baleage in round bale feeders currently. As you can see from my drawing below I am trying to knockout a couple birds with 1 stone and have some maneuverability with this setup. Basically I want to put an L shape building up, 25' x 50' for a "run-in" shed for the cows whether for winter or if needed for sacrifice pasture. Attached to that would be a 30x50 with extension over alley/working chute.

Again this is going to be for a complete winter pasture as well, so I am going to put a Ritchie waterer in there. The red lines dictate possible removable fences or cattle panels so I can adjust as needed. Basically I am wondering if there is a problem with using the run-in shed as a built in bud box system to get into the alley? The green fenced in area in my plans is 75'x75' and plan on making it out of guard rail 3 high. My pasture in the picture would all be located at the top of the building and behind, so I would run them in next to the building. Like I said the red line would be adjustable depending on what I am trying to accomplish for that working session or all open possibly for winter or seperated 2 groups both outside the shed and inside via panels. The open sides on the hay barn would only be until I can get everything enclosed or figure out a good door system. The second picture was a rough beginning sketch before some modifications to my plans.

Let me know what mistakes you guys see and would do differently.

Thanks,
-Matt

Forgot to mention that I currently have 12 cow/calf pairs with a couple I am feeding out to butcher. My end herd size is hopefully going to be in 25 pair range with 8-10 feeding out.

Thanks,
-Matt

Corners add cost and corners add problems. Snow slides off the roof and and lands in the yard, the cattle pack it down and before long you have 3 feet of solid ice packed in there, and melt water runs into the barn. Been there done that.

Have to try to clean it out after every storm, but when you get a storm every day for a week like some winters we have, it gets packed in there before you can get at it, since its a battle just spent clearing road ways and feeding them.

Latest posts