Winter Meetings and Sales Season ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Stocker Steve

Reaction score
In the thick of bull sales and supplier lunch meetings here. Could go 3 days a week without driving far. Bull prices are down about 15% but the free lunches cost the same. :cowboy: The most interesting events are on soil health. Lots of biology vs. chemistry sermons. What winter meetings do you get a lot out of?

We had a cow/calf meeting week or two ago down here put on by Cattlemen. Speakers on autogenous vaccine for pinkeye that was really interesting. (couple buddies use them by having vet swab the calves they have infected eyes) 2nd one was worm guru talked about pour-on and Safegaurd. I think he made Safegaurd a lot of money that night! We have always used it anyway I guess.

I don't get to many bull sales with dairy cows but AI company meetings coming up is always nice to talk to some of the guys that see some daughters out in the real world vs just looking at EPD's and pictures. It usually changes my mind on a few bulls for the year.

We have some meetings at the county extension office, called winter school that was just wrapped up last week. Usually consists of 3 evenings of around 3-3 1/2 hours per evening with a good meal at each. The topics this year varied from garden produce, cattle, management, and pasture pork and poultry. We are also having our quarterly county cattlemen's meeting this week. The topic of that meeting is going to be calving management.
There was a regional Angus sale within the last week or two, and probably some bulls sales upcoming this month, the KY Beef Expo in Louisville will be held over the course of a few days in early March. At the Beef Expo, several breeds are represented and there is both a show and sale, as well as a pen heifer sale.

My sweetie and I have been taking a 8 week Master Cattlemen's course in Perry. This time of year we have something going on about weekly. I enjoy learning even if I've heard it a time or two already.

True Grit Farms":35fgigy8 said:
My sweetie and I have been taking a 8 week Master Cattlemen's course in Perry. This time of year we have something going on about weekly. I enjoy learning even if I've heard it a time or two already.

They are offering a Master Cattleman's course here too starting in March. I have never taken it, but have considered it, I am hesitant due to the amount of time and not sure if with that and the cost if it is that beneficial to me, although I'm sure I would learn some new things.

Ky hills":1gu10zda said:
True Grit Farms":1gu10zda said:

They are offering a Master Cattleman's course here too starting in March. I have never taken it, but have considered it, I am hesitant due to the amount of time and not sure if with that and the cost if it is that beneficial to me, although I'm sure I would learn some new things.

To me the cost is marginal considering the knowledge of the speakers, the size of the note book and entertainment value. I've learned a few new things already, one being there are right and left handed staples.

Latest posts