Winter has arrived

Help Support CattleToday:

LOL - hubby used to be manager of a fertilizer plant. These used to be enclosed tubs/barrels that chemicals were shipped in and moved around with a fork lift. We cut off the top 1/3 and use as feeders. They have "feet", so they don't freeze down too bad, and you can flip them up & roll them around ------ and they were FREE!!! We drilled several holes in the bottom to drain water. But, in this weather, we have to shovel them out.

Good looking cattle, but dang that white stuff on the ground. Had a pretty good ground covering of snow come in here last night and then this morning, sun came out and its gone now.

Good looking cattle!
We had the first snow on the 29th of October. Woke up in the morning to such view:
WP-20181029-08-08-23-Pro.jpg
It was just starting to snow.
WP-20181029-08-39-22-Pro.jpg
After less than one hour. Then left home for some time and came back only when it was dark. Had a lot of snow then.
WP-20181030-13-16-21-Pro.jpg
The view next morning...
No snow since then, but the cold is coming. Going to move everybody home already.

ALACOWMAN":i6wmjadf said:
Can't see Fall, for all the winter we've been having...y'all got a formula to make em hair up over night...
Mine COME OUT haired!!!! LOL
The only problem with this deep snow, is that the ground is still MUD. It will NOT freeze with this insulation, except where you expose the ground (ruts!!!) and they freeze (ugghh). Ideally, the ground freezes up solid - then, it snows. Mother nature never reads the small print.

Those girls appear to be carrying a lot of condition. Nice looking group.
We are fortunate here as the ground froze up pretty good before the snow came. Looks like you got quite a bit more snow than we do. At least it's not hot out, I can't stand the heat. You can always put more clothes on, there are only so many to take off.

LOL - you guys/gals are a riot. I actually love the snow - in the winter. Gives the cows soft footing, bedding, and warmth. No bugs - creepy ones or unhealthy ones. Best time to calve - as long as you have shelter for them to calve in.
Silver - the heifers are thick, but not showing any fat. I keep an eye on them - no tail head fat, flank fat, and no udder fat. I agree - they are not thin - just right for growth & winter. IMHO

Jeanne - Simme Valley":9qxicbdt said:
LOL - you guys/gals are a riot. I actually love the snow - in the winter. Gives the cows soft footing, bedding, and warmth. No bugs - creepy ones or unhealthy ones. Best time to calve - as long as you have shelter for them to calve in.
Silver - the heifers are thick, but not showing any fat. I keep an eye on them - no tail head fat, flank fat, and no udder fat. I agree - they are not thin - just right for growth & winter. IMHO

A nice thing about Simmental, or continental cattle in general I suppose, is that (in my opinion anyway) you can put a lot of condition on them before worrying about fat in the udders, at least as compared to the British breeds.

Silver":2c682n97 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2c682n97 said:

A nice thing about Simmental, or continental cattle in general I suppose, is that (in my opinion anyway) you can put a lot of condition on them before worrying about fat in the udders, at least as compared to the British breeds.
Yes, that's so true. Last year when our ration was better for calves, the only angusx heifer was already showing some fat on her tail at 12months age! Limousine heifers put abit more condition only after they have passed 18 months of age. It's quite a pain to have a good fat cover in younger limousine, charolais bulls too.

Latest posts