winter grazing

Help Support CattleToday:

> Can anyone share any experiences
> that they have had on winter
> grazing of special planted
> pastures for that purpose?

I usually drill in winter wheat and rye.If you do it early enough,and there is enough moisture, it works well.Since they have other grass (such as fescue) to eat also you do not have to worry as much about bloat,this just adds to what they already have (as opposed to a field of nothing but wheat for example).

> I usually drill in winter wheat
> and rye.If you do it early
> enough,and there is enough
> moisture, it works well.Since they
> have other grass (such as fescue)
> to eat also you do not have to
> worry as much about bloat,this
> just adds to what they already
> have (as opposed to a field of
> nothing but wheat for example).

In Louisiana and Texas I planted wheat and ryegrass mix on a prepared seedbed in Sept. and was grazing by mid Dec.. You can really add pounds and keep the cows looking great while they nurse their calves (fall calvers). you can streach it by allowing a few hours grazing each day and then removing the cows off the grass. It is great in normal years.

[email protected]

we're in south central texas & drill oats & overseed ryegrass around oct. the cows graze each day for an hour or an hour and a half beginning mid or late dec.

> Can anyone share any experiences
> that they have had on winter
> grazing of special planted
> pastures for that purpose?

We are in North Central KS and we use a mix of Triticale and turnips. We plant in late August- early september and with the right moisture we are grazing by Nov. 1 we graze each paddock for 10 days then move to the next paddock.

[email protected]

Well I farm in south GA. & I plant rye/rye grass mixture around Sept./Oct. & fertilize real heavy. I'm grazing by Dec. & for weeks at a time I just keep a winter grazer block avalible. Hav'nt had one problem with grass tetny.

Latest posts