Winter grass planting

Help Support CattleToday:

Double E

Reaction score
I just secured a lease that was badly overgrazed during the drought, and am thinking about sowing some seed for pasture next spring and summer. I am thinking ryegrass, but concerned it is too late to do any good. I was told the bermudagrass was thick in the open areas, but it looks pretty sparse to me. Anyone have suggestions, or should I wait until spring to think of getting something growing? This is in central Oklahoma. Sure wish I could have inked the deal a couple of months ago, but wasn't meant to be, I guess.

If it were me I'd soil test it first. Then I'd probably let it lay and hit it with fertilizer to meet soil test needs in mid May and see what ya got. Most places look sparce after the summer we just had but you may be pleasantly surprised with what ya got.

Double E":2j7kaunm said:
I just secured a lease that was badly overgrazed during the drought, and am thinking about sowing some seed for pasture next spring and summer. I am thinking ryegrass, but concerned it is too late to do any good. I was told the bermudagrass was thick in the open areas, but it looks pretty sparse to me. Anyone have suggestions, or should I wait until spring to think of getting something growing? This is in central Oklahoma. Sure wish I could have inked the deal a couple of months ago, but wasn't meant to be, I guess.
Ryegrass will come on like gangbusters in late February and early March and play out with the heat in late May or early June depending on location. I would second the motion on getting a soil test done and fertilizing in mid to late May. Plan on spraying for weeds. You may have more of a stand than you expected.

Double E":3lsqi9q4 said:

Double E, I can't argue any of the two points made already. See the your statement in bold? Take advantage of what you have by doing the soil test, make soil modifications according to the test (in early Spring), cut back any areas choked by trees/shrubs if you want the bermuda to expand outward, aerate the soil before adding the modifications, and consider planting Bermuda tops or spriggs in the Spring to quicken the acceleration of growth. Like BC said, you can still put out ryegrass. Do you have cattle now? How many? This information could dictate how much ryegrass to put out and how much you need to fertilize prior to putting it out. Many are under the impression that because the grass is pretty and green, that it's nutritious. Not necessarily so! A soil test is worth it's weight in gold. And it's cheap! Do it! Act accordingly, and your feed output costs will drop dramatically!

Y'all are awesome. The cows were pulled off in July, been sitting since. So I can still sow rye and get some results? And I will send a sample off to be tested.

Just looked at the replies again. Thinking of maybe a dozen grass calves, got ten acres here to get them settled, then to the lease. Got seven on my ten acres, all calm and would be good mentors. The leased is 80 acres, probably 1/2 open and the rest wooded. I would likely turn out my "home girls" with the stockers to settle them in. BC, sounds like the ryegrass would play out as the bermuda comes in, IF we get some rain. Isomade, I have followed you for a while before I signed up. Not a mancrush, but I consider you mi hermano, Doc
Holliday notwithstanding. OK, maybe it IS a mancrush

i would go ahead an plant 25 to 50lb of rye grass to the ac if you can find it.an also 5lbs of clover to ac.an then see what brass comes up if this drought breaks enough.

Thank you folks, that is exactly the info I was looking for. Hadn't thought of clover though, I will certainly check it out. We are getting "normal" aamounts of rain here, more on the way next week. Let's hope this is over, at least for a year or three.

Latest posts