Winter Garden

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":4owi7stv said:
November melons. Just picked this melon and its wonderfully sweet. Planted about a quarter acre of melons and cantelopes in a quarter acre feedlot - you know - going organic and all. Plan worked like a charm except I didn't figure in my plots proximity to the cotton and the crop duster defoliated my patch along with the cotton. Out of the hundreds of melons I only ended up with two. But man are they good.

Cook012.jpg

Looking good... I will take a slice please email it to me lol or I will trade you 71 green maters for that lol

"Winter garden . . . winter garden." Pflhhhhhhhhh. There is no such thing out here without a greenhouse. The winter garden is a dead fir tree that lives in the house for 2 weeks!

Every time I look at the pictures of your garden it becomes more obvious to me I may need to put some water to mine. Its parched but still green.

Mine needs some good watering too hasnt rained in a couple weeks. I am enjoying my turnips out of the garden there delish.

That looks very healthy. Fella that owns the seed store has a bunch of stuff growing in square bales. I thought that was kindof interesting and I might give it a try.

That hay bale idea is interesting. Two good things about growing produce in feed troughs and would be true for hay bales as well are (1) you don't have to bend over to the ground to pick it and (2) the produce doesn't get sand splashed on it and is very clean when you pick it. Jo, if you do the hay bale idea, post the info if you don't mind.

Alright. But all they did was put some good soil in holes they made between the flakes of hay and stuck the plants in there. I've never seen it done that way. The guy says he waters it every day which is something I don't particularly care for but am thinking if you used an older bale or if you soaked the bale this might not be neccessary.

ga.prime":1ub330sc said:
Curly leaf mustard I have growing in an old feed trough.

P1030473-1.jpg

Looks great... You are putting me to shame ... I have a ton of curly kale and curly mustard left my family is tired of freezing the stuff lol

Jogeephus":k1x1s866 said:
Alright. But all they did was put some good soil in holes they made between the flakes of hay and stuck the plants in there. I've never seen it done that way. The guy says he waters it every day which is something I don't particularly care for but am thinking if you used an older bale or if you soaked the bale this might not be neccessary.

Sounds great but too much work for my blood ... Jogeephus I know you will make it work somehow.

Probably not. I don't square bale and I'm not about to pay for one of those high priced pieces of gold. Of course I've got some rotten round bales that might do just fine. :nod:

Jogeephus":i3r3swh2 said:
Probably not. I don't square bale and I'm not about to pay for one of those high priced pieces of gold. Of course I've got some rotten round bales that might do just fine. :nod:

LMAO... very true.. rotten may be the best.

Nice turnip. I imagine you could feed an army with a turnip patch. Still no rain here but I did cut one cabbage and some broccoli yesterday.

Jogeephus":1z9pieps said:
Nice turnip. I imagine you could feed an army with a turnip patch. Still no rain here but I did cut one cabbage and some broccoli yesterday.

Yea, I can use a few days of rain here myself. We are having such heavy frosts that I think its supplying just enough water to keep the plants thirst quenched. My cabbages are growing super slow there are a few that are around 6 inchs but I thought they would get way bigger so I probably won't cut any cabbages till Christmas. Broccoli is going well really starting to sprout. I started cutting the leaves off and its directing the energy to the broccoli heads more so I even started doing that with my brussel sprouts.

I know its hard to cut small cabbages but if you don't you are going to have them running out your ears. I'd go ahead and cut a few along and along else you'll have them running out your ears and they will start splitting on you. Here is a recipe a friend gave me and you can use it as a little incentive to go ahead and cut one. This recipe gives cabbage a whole new meaning.

WhatIsIt_zps68874237.jpg

ingredients
one small head of cabbage thinly sliced
about 6 Italian sausages
1 small can of diced tomatoes drained
1 small can of sliced mushrooms
1 medium onion diced
3 or 4 cloves of garlic finely diced
1 red and 1 green bell pepper
about 1 tablespoon tomatoes paste
about 1 tablespoon lemon herb spice
about 1/2 teaspoon salt to taste
about 1 teaspoon course black pepper to taste
mozzarella cheese

Procedure
crumble or slice sausage and fry until crispy, add onions until well caramelized, add garlic and lightly brown, add cabbage and lightly brown, add tomatoes and remaining ingredients except cheese. Warm through.

Scoop 1/2 mixture into a baking dish with slotted spoon, sprinkle with cheese, add remaining mixture and top with cheese. Bake until cheese is all brown and gooey.

Thanks you must have read my mind jo i cut one today lol Now i am having broccoli out my ears and salad and lettuce i cant give enough of it away lol.. I am planning on chow chow right after xmas as soon as i get a good recipe for that.

Latest posts