Winter Garden 2017

Help Support CattleToday:

skyhightree1

Reaction score
Anyone got theirs in yet? I am planting cabbage kurly kale kurly mustard collard greens and purple top turnips broccoli.

I've got broccoli and brussel sprouts out and parsnip seed starting to germinate. Onions, garlic spinach and cabbage are going in today unless I get sidetracked like I did the last four times I've said that.

Last Wednesday, I put out mustard greens, collards, both purple top, and white turnips, beets. Last night, put out some lettuce, black seeded Simpson and Romaine, spinach, and kale. Should have some Roma beans coming in around early part of October.

I'm still getting tomatoes and peppers. They are pretty much played out though. I'll probably clean it up and plant something next couple weeks. Does anybody use pine straw in their garden? Seems to me like I could cover the whole garden in It and keep the weeds out.

Craig Miller":4bfmk4ya said:
I'm still getting tomatoes and peppers. They are pretty much played out though. I'll probably clean it up and plant something next couple weeks. Does anybody use pine straw in their garden? Seems to me like I could cover the whole garden in It and keep the weeds out.

I am still getting those too... I just dug a bunch of sweet potatoes as well. I would never put pine needles in mine

Craig Miller":2brya6of said:

Have you ever tried just pruning those tomatoes back? We did a few plants last year and milked those vines for a few more in the cooler weather.

slick4591":2s49z1bb said:
Craig Miller":2s49z1bb said:

Have you ever tried just pruning those tomatoes back? We did a few plants last year and milked those vines for a few more in the cooler weather.
Never tried that. But I think my wife has canned all the tomatoes she intends to can this year. Most of them just dried up and died. How do you prune them?

Craig Miller":20frmfbq said:
slick4591":20frmfbq said:
Craig Miller":20frmfbq said:

Never tried that. But I think my wife has canned all the tomatoes she intends to can this year. Most of them just dried up and died. How do you prune them?
I mowed mine about two weeks ago. They are coming back strong.

I just cut down to large forks and they shot out around the cuts. We can never find plants for a fall garden and heard of this method. They didn't make as many as the spring crop, but those bacon and fresh tomato sandwiches were sure good in late September.

Craig Miller":2m8flc0l said:
I use it as mulch around tomato plants and also I cover the ground with it in a small blueberry orchard. It does not eliminate weeds but it helps keep them at bay. I mainly use it because it shades the soil thus reducing soil temperature and helps conserve moisture. The pH factor is a non issue. If breakdown of pinestraw acts as a soil acidifier, that's good for the blueberries and it won't break down fast enough to have any effect on the tomatoes.

ga.prime":45np9hde said:
Craig Miller":45np9hde said:
I use it as mulch around tomato plants and also I cover the ground with it in a small blueberry orchard. It does not eliminate weeds but it helps keep them at bay. I mainly use it because it shades the soil thus reducing soil temperature and helps conserve moisture. The pH factor is a non issue. If breakdown of pinestraw acts as a soil acidifier, that's good for the blueberries and it won't break down fast enough to have any effect on the tomatoes.

Thanks. I'm always looking for ways to improve my garden and make things easier. With my work keeping me gone for two weeks at a time the grass and weeds will get ahead quick especially in a year that's wet like this one. My wife works hard to keep it clean but can't do everthing.

Latest posts