Winter Garden 2014

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook that looks good that's crazy I use 19-19-19 on mine but I don't use the seeds you used but I may start. Keep up the good work.
Jo get those greens going nothing like fresh greens.

Couple weeks ago I planted the following:

108 plants - Packman Broccoli
108 plants - Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage
5 packs seed - Detroit Dark Beet
8 packs seed - Various Raddish
1 pack (5000 seeds) - Short Carrot
4 lbs seed - Purple Top Turnip

to plant: 2 lbs Mustard, 100ft row of Shallots, Cauliflower, more Cabbage and Broccoli.

MudHog":3rqz8uj1 said:
Couple weeks ago I planted the following:

108 plants - Packman Broccoli
108 plants - Early Jersey Wakefield Cabbage
5 packs seed - Detroit Dark Beet
8 packs seed - Various Raddish
1 pack (5000 seeds) - Short Carrot
4 lbs seed - Purple Top Turnip

to plant: 2 lbs Mustard, 100ft row of Shallots, Cauliflower, more Cabbage and Broccoli.

That's a lot of plants lol

Hook":3rqz8uj1 said:
Still waiting to plant cabbage, lettuce, spinach, broccoli and cauliflower. Temps are too high

My stuff looks crappy it got too cold to quick then too hot

Garden isnt even half of what it usually is this weather did not do it any justice. This is the first real bad year I had gardening.

ResizedImage_1414500543893_zpsf0743155.jpg

ResizedImage_1414500542977_zps245b6958.jpg

Mustard greens doing really, really well. They were getting a little tired after the Thanksgiving harvest and I gave them a shot of ammonium nitrate last week and they've bounced back nicely. I think I gave them a shot of 10-10-10 also. I forget.

Looks lovely, GP. What is growing in the foreground on the right side of the pic?

Sky, that does look kinda pathetic :p
Seriously, though, sorry, you're not having a good season!
I'm soooo looking forward to starting some plants when we get to Texas!

Thanks, CF. That's thyme. In the herb category I also have oregano, dill, cilantro, parsley, and of course rosemary. Herbs generally do very well in the mild winters here. The only one I can think of that I regularly grow that will only grow in the summer is basil.

Nice Ga! Are they in 'filtered sun' the entire day?

Cottage my guess is it's thyme, lets hear...

Ali... :lol:

Thanks, GP. I thought it looked like thyme, but it looked really pale, almost white, on my monitor, so thought I would verify, 'cause you southern boys grow some stuff down there I ain't never seen nor even heard of before! :lol2:

:lol2: CF, I've had that thyme plant for several years and it's always been a pale color but I think the sun being behind it in the pic makes it look even more pale than it really is. It's like a medium to light jade green color. Ali, that area does get filtered sun most of the day. It wasn't by design though and it's getting worse. Trees I planted have grown up around it. I will probably have to move the whole container garden in the near future.

ga.prime":29omj7do said:
Mustard greens doing really, really well. They were getting a little tired after the Thanksgiving harvest and I gave them a shot of ammonium nitrate last week and they've bounced back nicely. I think I gave them a shot of 10-10-10 also. I forget.

Ga Prime they look good... My winter garden was CRAP this year spent well over 200 bucks on it and we had the earliest frost here that I know of that stunted everythings growth and the only thing I got out the garden was broccoli heads the size of a peach and only 7 of those. :mad:

ga.prime":x8rsyjlm said:
Sorry you had bad luck with your garden this year, sky. I know you had a really good one last year.

Yes sir thanks.. I guess I will plant earlier next year :lol2: I am just glad I wasn't depending on that garden for a major source of food or id be in trouble.

ga.prime":8vfz2xoe said:
Jo, did you get one of those Mennonite push planters?

No, I couldn't bring myself to part with the money. My seeding is a bit heavy. Turnips aren't going to fair to well in the root department.

Latest posts