Winter feeding (pic)

Help Support CattleToday:

bward

Reaction score
Its just a few degrees below freezing (-8c),.. about 8 inches of snow. Its the kind of day thats perfect for building snowmen or cross country skiing. The kind of snow that makes you sweat trudging through it, and makes chores twice as long to do.

DSC01418.jpg

DSC01419.jpg

Very nice....almost any amount of snow makes things take twice as long to get through here (mostly because it's "different" and I'm looking around at the snow and how the animals are reacting to it). That's a bunch of cattle to feed...when you unroll those bales, how many times a day do you do that when you've got snow coming down?

The cows are fed once a day in the winter. No need to feed them more than that. We haven't really had much snow this year and I was happily getting used to it.... then this had to happen. :p

Hiya TK. I don't know how we are moisture wise. This is our big snow for the winter, and if its like most winters 99.9999 percent of snowfall ends up blowing off the or melting off the fields. Much of it never sinks in anyway. Well timed rains is the big factor here and I am not going to worry about it until its too late. Oh heck I am not going to worry about it regardless... can't do anything about it anyway.

I'd give anything for some of that snow Ward.
Do you remember anything anout crop circles in Alberta in 1997?

Crop Circles? No, can't say I remember them in Alberta. Doesn't mean they didn't happen though. :) I do remember lots of talk and fear over cattle mutilations in the late 70's and early 80's. Have they just stopped all together?

We start calving the last week in March, and go until the first week in May.

bward":1m767nz3 said:
Crop Circles? No, can't say I remember them in Alberta. Doesn't mean they didn't happen though. :) I do remember lots of talk and fear over cattle mutilations in the late 70's and early 80's. Have they just stopped all together?

We start calving the last week in March, and go until the first week in May.

Really can't say Ward. I was reading an article about crop circles here awhile back. Remember something in there about Alberta.

Latest posts