Winter definitely is here in WI

Help Support CattleToday:

SRBeef

Reaction score
Temperature going down to about 1 degree F with wind chills of -10 to -15 tonight. Snow on the ground from yesterday.

I set out a new bale for the weaned calves and moved the bale ring leaving more than I usually do for them to bed on tonight. Checked the heated waterer. Cows are bedding down in the middle of the fresh standing corn stalks I opened up for them today.

Winter is definitely here.

Mid 20s at night here, mid 30s in the day . Not cold, but dang it feels cold . I guess we just ain't used to it .

Larry

SrBeef....what part of WI are you from? Up here in the northwoods, its only suppose to get down to about five...but boy does that wind have some bite to it! Sure is nice to have wood heat nice come this time of year.

Ewwwww.. temps like that remind me why we moved from northern Illinois to Texas 16 years ago! I can't take that cold any more.. if it's lower than about 70, I have a jacket on!

buckmaster33":3pgpnv3q said:
SrBeef....what part of WI are you from? Up here in the northwoods, its only suppose to get down to about five...but boy does that wind have some bite to it! Sure is nice to have wood heat nice come this time of year.

I'm SE of LaCrosse about 30 mi. Well the National Weather Service earlier said 1 deg F but really doesn't make much diference, 1 or 5... I agree with you on the wind! my goodness there was a bite to it. And I'm also in front of the wood stove tonight. With a bottle of Spotted Cow brew....hmmmmm maybe there are some pluses to this weather!

I am amazed at how the cattle take it in stride. Keep the water warm and some good hay in them and they seem like it is the middle of May (almost)...beats the mud especially.

How far "northwoods" are you?

Don't you just love winter? My worst time is when it is around 35 degrees and raining about the time you have to get out and feed. This is the one time that I wish I had a cab on my tractor. My wife and I grew up in Michigan but we settled in Southern Arkansas. One of our considerations in the move was that we both hate cold weather.

I was outside already this morning, it's around 0 but theres no wind so it doesn't feel that bad. Now were just waiting for the snow to come, thats when it gets interesting.

SRBeef":26b906my said:
Temperature going down to about 1 degree F with wind chills of -10 to -15 tonight. Snow on the ground from yesterday.

I set out a new bale for the weaned calves and moved the bale ring leaving more than I usually do for them to bed on tonight. Checked the heated waterer. Cows are bedding down in the middle of the fresh standing corn stalks I opened up for them today.

Winter is definitely here.

Now you're sending it across the lake my way. And we'll get the lake effect snow to go with it! Just had a calf last night too. I don't mind the cold, it's the wind. And I guess it's all better than mud or 35 and rain.

SRBeef":30udhy17 said:
buckmaster33":30udhy17 said:

I'm SE of LaCrosse about 30 mi. Well the National Weather Service earlier said 1 deg F but really doesn't make much diference, 1 or 5... I agree with you on the wind! my goodness there was a bite to it. And I'm also in front of the wood stove tonight. With a bottle of Spotted Cow brew....hmmmmm maybe there are some pluses to this weather!

I am amazed at how the cattle take it in stride. Keep the water warm and some good hay in them and they seem like it is the middle of May (almost)...beats the mud especially.

How far "northwoods" are you?

About an hour northwest of Eau Claire. Cumberland area...if ya have any idea where that is.

Yep, my cows usually winter pretty well. Like ya said, good hay and mineral....starting today, mine start getting their 3 lbs of corn cob grain as well. Still a firm believer in that added energy in the winter months.

nap":1h94qjlf said:
Don't you just love winter? My worst time is when it is around 35 degrees and raining about the time you have to get out and feed. This is the one time that I wish I had a cab on my tractor. My wife and I grew up in Michigan but we settled in Southern Arkansas. One of our considerations in the move was that we both hate cold weather.

35 degrees and you need a cab?!?!?.....weak! :)

buckmaster33":1ixff3ds said:
nap":1ixff3ds said:

35 degrees and you need a cab?!?!?.....weak! :)

Don't forget the raining part. I guess I am getting a little soft in my old age.

nap":10ehkg0f said:

Actually I do like winter! I agree with the 35 degrees and mud - I like to go from nice fall weather straight to subfreezing winter as quickly as possible. Then the same in the spring - ground frozen up until calving time then sunshine and green grass...

Do I hear "Camelot" playing somewhere??

1982vett":1yitsevd said:
Ja get any rain Jogee, or did it piddle out before it got to you?

Depending on the location, we got 5 and 6 inches the other day. Got another quarter this morning. Really didn't need that much rain since I'm installing some carbon storage units in the flood plain of the Ocmulgee river. But it sure has helped the grazing so I ain't complaining.

Figures, We missed the last 3 chances for rain, have another coming Monday and Tuesday, can only hope. Spent today regrouping the cattle. Going to give what little oats I have to the cows with calves, the others are going to have to make it on hay.

What kind of carbon units to you grow?

Just checked, it has taken 3 1/2 months to rain 5 inches. :(

ugh, it most definitely is here...snow on the ground and plenty of ice...Our Angus don't seem bothered at all by it...they just don't like it when its real windy. Some mornings I go out after its snowed through the night and they will be laying on the ground out in the open, covered in a layer of snow...doesn't even occur to them to head into the pole barn! :lol:

Snowing again now, but at least it is not the bitter cold like it was over the weekend! :shock:

Michele

I think we just got your cold now-it was in the single digits today with 15-20mph winds...but they are saying tomorrow it might make it all the way up to 40-t shirt weather! :lol: :lol:

Latest posts