Winter Cattle Condition

Help Support CattleToday:

Oldtimer

Reaction score
Body conditioning and hair coat are very important. Cattle need to carry a little extra fat for insulation. To accomplish this, producers provide extra feed to help them gain weight. Prior to winter, they also allow the cattle to be in open-air barns or to run outside, which helps them grow a thick coat before the cold weather sets in. The true test on a snowy day is to see snow staying on the backs of the cattle, which means they are not losing a lot of body heat.
http://www.ellinghuysen.com/news/articles/96372.shtml

I was reading an article on taking care of cattle in cold weather- and this is the passage that stood out to me.. Its kind of been the quick-guide for me if the cattle are the type I like- and in the shape I want them for the winter...
Another reason I don't run from a cow/bull with a little higher Fat EPD either...

I completely agree with the article. Up north you definitely have it a lot worse that we do here in Texas. Most of your cattle are the type with the hair coats for that type of weather. The added fat helps protect them. I have Brahman cattle designed for the heat. When the temp. drops the cattle will start burning that fat to keep warm and for the protection as yours.
I believe there is one other good reason to bring them into winter with some fat. They cost less to maintain and come out of winter ready for calving or breeding as the case may be. I don't have any documentation to prove this. It is just an observation.
There is also another part that must be considered. Forage nutrient content drops in the fall (here) so the cattle must be in good condition before that.

Oldtimer":21pcv5l2 said:
Body conditioning and hair coat are very important. Cattle need to carry a little extra fat for insulation. To accomplish this, producers provide extra feed to help them gain weight. Prior to winter, they also allow the cattle to be in open-air barns or to run outside, which helps them grow a thick coat before the cold weather sets in. The true test on a snowy day is to see snow staying on the backs of the cattle, which means they are not losing a lot of body heat.
http://www.ellinghuysen.com/news/articles/96372.shtml

I was reading an article on taking care of cattle in cold weather- and this is the passage that stood out to me.. Its kind of been the quick-guide for me if the cattle are the type I like- and in the shape I want them for the winter...
Another reason I don't run from a cow/bull with a little higher Fat EPD either...

OT someone else posted some pics either here are on Ranchers the other day and the cattle had a nice frozen blanket of snow on their back and a heavy coat of hair underneath. They looked good.

novatech":8c95mwgl said:
I completely agree with the article. Up north you definitely have it a lot worse that we do here in Texas. Most of your cattle are the type with the hair coats for that type of weather. The added fat helps protect them. I have Brahman cattle designed for the heat. When the temp. drops the cattle will start burning that fat to keep warm and for the protection as yours.
I believe there is one other good reason to bring them into winter with some fat. They cost less to maintain and come out of winter ready for calving or breeding as the case may be. I don't have any documentation to prove this. It is just an observation.There is also another part that must be considered. Forage nutrient content drops in the fall (here) so the cattle must be in good condition before that.
dont need any, its fact.. and the big reason i like spring calving, calves are off going into late fall and winter no added stress from a calf.. maintain condition through winter and grass is coming on when the calves are requiring more from moma

Yup - just like snow on the top of a house - means they have good insulation!
Up North here, if you have cattle THIN going into winter, "you have a long road to hoe" - requires more feed. You're always trying to play catch up - but they never do. Weather is usually too harsh for pregnant cows to gain weight on hay. Guess you could grain them :shock:
Lots easier to wean calves early enough for them to put their weight back on with fall grazine - and we have great fall grazing.

Latest posts