winter "accommodations"

Help Support CattleToday:

With all the talk about Winter care of our cattle, it seems to me that if we consider our investment in them is significant, that we should treat them as "pets." Most of us would never leave our dog or cat out in weather that we know is beyond their capability of sustaining a healthy existence. If you want to achieve the best from your animals, give them the best of care.

wbvs58":ve4w77fo said:
That looks good TC, do they use it a lot. It could easily be adapted for storing cottonseed when it is cheaper or as a silage bunk. I have been thinking of building something like that for awhile for that sort of storage, you have rekindled my idea but have got a lot of other projects on the go to get through first.

Ken

They don't use it much in the summer because they don't get the cross breeze. But you can see from the corner they loooove to scratch on it year 'round. We're having them build another one in a different pasture and they're going to add metal loops to the ends so we can rig up temporary gates if we need to catch a cow - back up the trailer, open a section of the gate, load, call it good.

We initially were going to make it twice the size & have one section closed off to store bales but where we're currently keeping them is all of .25 miles away so really didn't make sense. It would be a PITA but it can be moved because the cement blocks literally just fit together with a notch (think Legos) and it's not considered a permanent structure.