Winner "Trees"

Help Support CattleToday:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Congratulations to the lovely AlisonB !!!!!!!!!!! :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
P1010831.jpg

LOVE this tree and the beautiful pic . If it could talk I bet you would have a heck of a novel :D

Thank you Alison for a fantastic category , I believe we received some of the best pics we have had in a long time.

Thank you all who submitted , can you please tell us a little bit about the background of each pic. The tree and where it was taken .

Thanks to all of you that voted as well. :tiphat:

I really enjoyed this contest, great tree alison! You got my vote.

OK, for the stories, Mine was the big willow tree.. planted in about 1935, I think its one of the biggest in BC, trunk is about 5 foot diameter, lots of rot in it but it's still growing well.. We have Northern Flickers that nest in it yearly, and have had 2 of them as pets... really interesting bird!

Congrats Alison! Nice pic! Mine was #5. It was a huge, dead tree in the Northern Serengeti, Tanzania. To give you a better idea of the size, the dead tree is just in front of a flat topped Acacia, the trees that giraffes feed off.

Thanks folks :D . Millstreaminn, loved your pic and wondered where it was taken.

I took that pic of the Baobab when up in Namibia a couple of years ago. Had a couple of the BF posing in front of the tree just to get some perspective of the size of the tree but my computer crashed some time back and all pics were lost, luckily this pic had been uploaded to PBucket earlier.

Everyone that comes across one of these magnificent trees is sure to take a pic of it so it was not too difficult to find the same tree in the Mahango National Park on the internet, here is one with an adult standing at the base. The tree is said to be well over 1000yrs old.
baobab1_zps7dcde88a.jpg

Congrats to all the other entrants, all were great pics.

Congratulations, beautiful tree Alison. My pic #4 was one of the ones with out a vote. It was taken last year when We were in one of the back fields and the silhouette of the pines trees looked perfect. I guess you would have had to been there.

Mine was #2, a very dead Vitex lucens, Puriri. They grow in the northern half of the north of New Zealand. That one might have been around 400 years old and probably killed by cattle damage to roots and trunk. It looked like the sort of tree I always tried to draw as a kid. I really liked the light and shade effects when I saw it.

Beautiful old tree Ali. Knew it was yours the minute I saw it. I've seen them on a few of the Nat Geo channel show over the year. Amazes me something can get that huge in such an arid climate.

Mine was #2. Nothing exceptional. Three old live oak trees growing in front of and behind an old run down barn and set of catch pens. The trees are old and look like they could split and die just any minute. The bluebonnets and indian paintbrushes make a pretty foreground. This place is about 3 miles down the road from me and I was riding around, saw it and took a shot of it long before we even had the contest.

Mine was #7. (The pine trees in the snow.) This was taken along my driveway on the ranch I had in Oregon. We didn't get very much snow in Yoncalla, so when we did it was really beautiful. The property consisted of about 80 acs of reprod. Timber and 80 acs of pasture. The rip rap boulders were hauled in to stabilize the hillside.

Congrats! Beautiful capture. I especially liked #2 as well.

Mine #3 was taken from the south side of our property looking out across the lake in the middle of the 40 acres.

What a collection - they all deserved to win.

Mine was 6, taken in a public garden close to Taranaki mountain. The garden was created by a dairyman last century, many of the plants are 60 - 70 years old, and it is now maintained by the local council; the maple had turned to its autumn colours and there was heavy fog and water dripping off all the trees last time I was there.

Latest posts