Winner - "Rocks"

Help Support CattleToday:

alisonb

Reaction score
Congrats to TCRanch for her pic of stone subterranean structure...very 8) :clap: :clap:
rock8_zpstmey2mlb.jpg

Congrats too to WORANCH for a close second, great pic!!! :clap:
rock3_zpszxqj91rp.jpg

1) Craig

2) Bigfoot

4) Tamarack

5) Alan

I recognized at least 2 as being from Ky. What's the story on the one that won. That's about the most interesting looking thing I've seen in a while.

Bigfoot, There are a lot of stone subterranean structures in Kansas and we happen to have one on the ranch. It's not far from where we built the house and I'm assuming it was used by the original owners. Our builder was checking it out & found "Welcome" carved in large flat rock right outside the entrance of the structure and that rock is now part of the hearth on our downstairs fireplace. The property hadn't been surveyed since 1879 and we have the abstracts dating back to the late 1800's.

Here's a pic of the entrance and the following link provides much more detail on the structures (and better pics).
http://www.flinthillshelters.com/projectinfo.html

Congrats.. good pics!

We have a couple root cellars and rock walls around here built around 1935... the cellars have been rebuilt (more than once)... if yours said "welcome", I'd assume it was a residence at some point, but darned small!

TCRanch":32skli9i said:
Bigfoot, There are a lot of stone subterranean structures in Kansas and we happen to have one on the ranch. It's not far from where we built the house and I'm assuming it was used by the original owners. Our builder was checking it out & found "Welcome" carved in large flat rock right outside the entrance of the structure and that rock is now part of the hearth on our downstairs fireplace. The property hadn't been surveyed since 1879 and we have the abstracts dating back to the late 1800's.

Here's a pic of the entrance and the following link provides much more detail on the structures (and better pics).

That link was fascinating.

Nesikep":34cdho2g said:
Congrats.. good pics!

We have a couple root cellars and rock walls around here built around 1935... the cellars have been rebuilt (more than once)... if yours said "welcome", I'd assume it was a residence at some point, but darned small!

In the original pic you can kind of see on the far wall what was presumably a fireplace. The structure is small but my husband is 6'5" and can stand up (not comfortably). But yes, most people now refer to it as a root cellar/storm shelter (Kansas = tornadoes).

Bigfoot":iubydm2q said:
TCRanch":iubydm2q said:

That link was fascinating.

I'm selective about when I venture down there - not a fan of snakes! But you can see fossils in some of the rocks and it's really cool in a creepy sort of way. Did they really live like that? There is so much history here - at least what I've been told. There is evidently an Osage burial ground on what is now a brome field in the "bottom ground". We still have people asking us if they can look for arrowheads & artifacts (never found any that I know of). And legend/locals tell us the Dalton Gang hid out in an old hay barn (still standing/functional) after their last robbery of the Dexter Bank in 1892.

TCRanch":2al7ytz9 said:
Nesikep":2al7ytz9 said:
Congrats.. good pics!

In the original pic you can kind of see on the far wall what was presumably a fireplace. The structure is small but my husband is 6'5" and can stand up (not comfortably). But yes, most people now refer to it as a root cellar/storm shelter (Kansas = tornadoes).
Awesome pic and great job. First thing I thought was "storm shelter". Heck of a lot of work went into building those. (thanks for the link)

Latest posts