Wine

Help Support CattleToday:

504RP

Reaction score
Any wine maker's here ? If so what are some of the wines that you make ? Or beer. Course whiskey making would be interesting too !

Been a while since I made any wine but thinking about making some.

My cousin makes wine out of mustang grapes. Usually pretty good except it might have a little sand in it.
That means it's fresh LoL.
Couple year's ago he had a couple dozen bottles he'd just bottled and corked on the kitchen table. Middle of the night he and his wife get jumped out of bed by gunfire...
Well those bottles had started blowing the corks out and blowing wine all over the kitchen. James Earl gathers up what he could and rebottled it. That stuff would make you see vapor trails... 😂

Wish I knew how to make wine. I've harvested almost 35 pounds of blackberries already this year and they're just coming on. Gotta do something with them! (The friends have all been getting 5# gallon bags full, elderly neighbor got a pie, and the freezer is filling up.)

Had some Concord grapes along the garden fence on the yard side. My mother always made grape juice and jelly with them. Couple times years ago, talked her into making some wine. Wasn't easy she was raised in a small country Church of Christ, and later in life joined a Southern Baptist Church. My father and her brother were both alcoholics so we didn't really like the concept of drinking, I guess I just wanted to try something different, can't really remember why the notion came up back then. Anyways wine was made, got two different recipes from different family members. One called for putting a balloon over the jars. A story went along with that one that it once blew up and made a mess in that kitchen, that recipe was not used.
It was just something to do. I'm not a drinker, and haven't touched any for probably 15-20 years. If I was going to have anything like that, it would be wine.

I used to make a batch of wine from muscadine grapes each year. The crop this year is poor as was last year's, so no wine will be made this year.

I used to make a batch of wine from muscadine grapes each year. The crop this year is poor as was last year's, so no wine will be made this year.

My "adopted " mom makes wine from muscadine grapes. She always has a hard time finding them around here.

When we were kids my parents did the grape balloon wine.

I don't remember but supposedly my G-parents made wine. They had "Grandpa's dozen" all the grand kids at the time smashing the grapes. 25+ years later when my Gma passed away they found a bottle of that wine under their house.

Any wine maker's here ? If so what are some of the wines that you make ? Or beer. Course whiskey making would be interesting too !

Been a while since I made any wine but thinking about making some.

What kind of wine are you wanting to make?

My "adopted " mom makes wine from muscadine grapes. She always has a hard time finding them around here.

I don't remember but supposedly my G-parents made wine. They had "Grandpa's dozen" all the grand kids at the time smashing the grapes. 25+ years later when my Gma passed away they found a bottle of that wine under their house.

That's cool about your "adopted" mom, parents and grandparents. Mine made muscadine jelly, but I don't eat toast.

I don't know if it's due to lingering effects of the drought from 2017-2019 or maybe the repeated freezes we had this winter, but this year the muscadine vines have produced very few grapes. They should be loaded with ripening grapes at this time of year, and so far I've picked one ripe grape.

What kind of wine are you wanting to make?
Last time made any. I made blue berry, tomatoe, i think peach was the other one.

Wish I knew how to make wine. I've harvested almost 35 pounds of blackberries already this year and they're just coming on. Gotta do something with them! (The friends have all been getting 5# gallon bags full, elderly neighbor got a pie, and the freezer is filling up.)
It's not too hard to make wine. Exspecially if you buy concentrate to make it with. But that is sort of like cheating.
There is both more work and challenge making it from using the fruit itself.

The tomatoe wine is the only wine that I made that way. Think I made 6 gallons of it.

In my opinion its better to make wine using concentrate when your first learning how to make wine.

A big part of wine making is temperature control and cleanliness to avoid contamination of the mesh. Which is easier to avoid using concentrate.

Had some Concord grapes along the garden fence on the yard side. My mother always made grape juice and jelly with them. Couple times years ago, talked her into making some wine. Wasn't easy she was raised in a small country Church of Christ, and later in life joined a Southern Baptist Church. My father and her brother were both alcoholics so we didn't really like the concept of drinking, I guess I just wanted to try something different, can't really remember why the notion came up back then. Anyways wine was made, got two different recipes from different family members. One called for putting a balloon over the jars. A story went along with that one that it once blew up and made a mess in that kitchen, that recipe was not used.
It was just something to do. I'm not a drinker, and haven't touched any for probably 15-20 years. If I was going to have anything like that, it would be wine.
Seems like I have heard that a ballon is sometimes used in pl ace of an air lock to exspell the gas as the mesh is fermenting. Think a pin hole is stuck in the balloon for the gas to escape from the balloon. No pin hole I guess the balloon could pop depending on how big of a batch of wine and size of the ballon.

You must be a pretty good wine maker to make Muscatine wine ? I live near some big winerys and can buy Muscadies and different varieties of wine from them. Need to get started back making wine again.

Can't help you on the making but I can sample it for quality control when you are finished
If I should happen to find time to make some again sometime and your coming through I will send some home with you.

Their are some good size winerys that has free sampling too that has easy access off of I40 also located just a couple of miles off 40.

My husbands cousin makes tomato wine. Well, he refers to it as wine; I think it tastes like azz.
Lol !!! It's hard to get right ! You can make wine out of about anything. But doesn't always mean it is going to taste like what it was made out of. Even read about wine made from Bermuda grass ?

Lol !!! It's hard to get right ! You can make wine out of about anything. But doesn't always mean it is going to taste like what it was made out of. Even read about wine made from Bermuda grass ?
I've heard of corn cob wine and dandelion wine, somebody must have been really wanting something to drink

My cousin makes wine out of mustang grapes. Usually pretty good except it might have a little sand in it.
That means it's fresh LoL.
Couple year's ago he had a couple dozen bottles he'd just bottled and corked on the kitchen table. Middle of the night he and his wife get jumped out of bed by gunfire...
Well those bottles had started blowing the corks out and blowing wine all over the kitchen. James Earl gathers up what he could and rebottled it. That stuff would make you see vapor trails... 😂
Lol ! That happens sometimes when it needs just a little more time fermenting. Sort of like someone who mentioned using a balloon for their air lock and it busted spewing wine every where.

And alot of time wine made from different fruits will have fine particles that look like sand floating in it. Gives the wine a foggy look. But there is an additative called I think clearifyer you can put in it while it is still in the container it fermented in that makes it crystal clear. Then when you bottle it. It will be clear as spring water. No particles in it.

Last time made any. I made blue berry, tomatoe, i think peach was the other one.
The other one was strawberry wine, havent made peach yet. The strawberry was really good too.

Know a guy who made 50 gallon batches of wine at a time who I would ask advice from when i was making my first wine.

I took some of what I made to let him try. He told I done a good job and was only one step away from being able to make whisky now lol !

And he was right. You can control the alcohol content in wine by adding more or less sugar to the mesh. But you don't boil the mesh off like you would whiskey.

I would like to try making a batch except it's illegal as far as I know to do it.

You must be a pretty good wine maker to make Muscatine wine ? I live near some big winerys and can buy Muscadies and different varieties of wine from them. Need to get started back making wine again.
I think it has been more luck than skill. I use a recipe I found years ago on a web site; it is simple and the resulting product is pretty tasty. Muscadine grapes are the only grapes that do well in Florida and a lot of Florida wineries use them. Their products are better than mine, but mine isn't that bad.

The bad thing about muscadines, is you are almost always on the ground and the muscadines are way up there, usually in a tree which is why I planted my scuppernongs on a fence.