Wind from H3ll

Help Support CattleToday:

Nesikep

Reaction score
Wow, we certainly had front row seats to the "weather event" yesterday

Day started off calmly, then from one instant to the next, 100mph wind gusts, little twisters in the yard, etc.. We have a little crystal prism hanging on a string in the window at the house, it was swaying back and forth.. then we looked around the property, 6 BIG fir trees got uprooted.. they have 30-36" bases, in a few other spots there are also some really big trees that fell, couple smaller ones.

Then I was in the corral giving some attention to the month-old calf, (He's starting to like it) and a second gust came along with a twister.. I have a half culvert of 24" pipe I use as a feeder in the corral, nicely embedded in cow manure and straw, it picked that up and flipped it over!.. buckets flying everywhere, power went out too for a few hours..

But it was a warm wind, 60F is unheard of around here!.. cooled back off to about 30-35F now

I'm going to go get some pics

Silver said:
That's some crazy wind. Looks like you've got some chainsaw work ahead of you.
Yup, the whole barn full of them will be coming out to play.. Some of those are probably mill quality, at least the lower ends.. the bigger ones are about 38" at the base or so.. gonna need to bring out the big saws

Wow! But I feel your pain, having been through 2 tornadoes. Glad you, your family & the livestock are safe/no injuries! It'll take a long time to clean up but pick your battles and focus on what's really important.

TCRanch said:
Wow! But I feel your pain, having been through 2 tornadoes. Glad you, your family & the livestock are safe/no injuries! It'll take a long time to clean up but pick your battles and focus on what's really important.

we're lucky the willow didn't come down on the house! It's gonna be some cleanup, but at least most of it that has to be done before the season starts is in one place..
This wasn't the kind of tornado you get in the flatlands, it was just a bit of a localized twister.. a dust devil on steroids I guess

Also really glad the cows weren't in that field, because hanging out under those trees would have been just what they'd do!

Spent the day doing dozer work, we got a 3500 gallon fuel tank and had to level a spot for it.. Nothing was frozen!

My in laws got the same wind at Wallachian. They said it was something else.

Nesikep said:
TCRanch said:

we're lucky the willow didn't come down on the house! It's gonna be some cleanup, but at least most of it that has to be done before the season starts is in one place..
This wasn't the kind of tornado you get in the flatlands, it was just a bit of a localized twister.. a dust devil on steroids I guess
Very lucky!
We're actually in the Flint Hills and both times the major damage was in/around the barnyard, the equivalent of a funnel. It truly is surreal.

Might need to be a facebooker to see it, here's the wind at my neighbors place https://www.facebook.com/KansasA/videos/10157384180811281/

Glad everyone is safe! We had some epic wind as well down here. Luckily we just thinned through the new property we bought which is heavily treed. Mother nature's pruning can be disaster in the wind with a few big trees.

Do you remember the crazy winds we had I believe 5 years ago? Took my entire fence line out!!! I hope it doesn't get there. The water is so deep right now everything is water logged.

We didn't get a whole lot of rain, maybe a 1/2" that night.. mountains could use more snow though.

I don't remember those winds, but my friends in mission had quite an ice storm 2 years ago

Nesikep said:
We didn't get a whole lot of rain, maybe a 1/2" that night.. mountains could use more snow though.

I don't remember those winds, but my friends in mission had quite an ice storm 2 years ago

I looked back at my old images and last year the snow hit heavy where we fish up near Kamloops around middle of February. But...snow in the forecast down here in the valley for this week. Supposed to hit a low of -6. Monday - Saturday there may be snow. So, promising for the mountains.

I have a place up on Sumas mountain as well. If the snow is coming that property is always the first to get it.

cowgal604 said:
Nesikep said:

I looked back at my old images and last year the snow hit heavy where we fish up near Kamloops around middle of February. But...snow in the forecast down here in the valley for this week. Supposed to hit a low of -6. Monday - Saturday there may be snow. So, promising for the mountains.

I have a place up on Sumas mountain as well. If the snow is coming that property is always the first to get it.
If it's getting that cold I might reconsider taking a drive up to Quesnel/Hixon to pick up a swather

Latest posts