Wind and Rain

Help Support CattleToday:

cowgirl8

Reaction score
This is the first year we've used the mineral with fly control. Started it in Feb and have put it out religiously. This time last year we had flies bad, it was like a black cloud that followed our herds around.
This year, the flies are almost nonexistent. They do have a few at times during the day, but for the most they are almost fly free. I can go out and see no tails swishing.
Its not cheap. But, when you consider how much energy goes into fighting flies that we'll get our money back in pounds of calves at the sale. One herd loved this stuff so much that they would eat a bag in one day. So, i started adding about 1/3rd bag of plain salt to one bag of mineral. Worked to slow them down to what they should eat daily.
We also went with these home made feeders. Cost 10 bucks. Its not hard to find someone with old semi tires sitting around and the blue barrels cost 10 dollars. With all the monsoon rains we had, they stay amazingly dry. And with an added eyebolt, i can move them easily with my 4wheeler. They also have bolts sticking out of the barrel below the rim of the tire to keep the barrel in the tire...

Easy to move

Fly free cows

I also want to add that we baled hay across the county at a place where i saw someone elses herd of cattle. Not sure what kind of mineral he was feeding, but his cows were covered in flies. He had grasshoppers too, where we have very few. So, who knows, could just be a fluke that we have no flies since something happened to our grasshopper crop. Or its working and we are lucky to have been spared a grasshopper invasion..

cowgirl8":3qk2z8x7 said:
I also want to add that we baled hay across the county at a place where i saw someone elses herd of cattle. Not sure what kind of mineral he was feeding, but his cows were covered in flies. He had grasshoppers too, where we have very few. So, who knows, could just be a fluke that we have no flies since something happened to our grasshopper crop. Or its working and we are lucky to have been spared a grasshopper invasion..

It's called herd management not luck. We use the same type mineral feeders ourselves. The mineral is the first or first line of defense, we also use fly tags and a spray.

Sorry Deep South,, don't agree with that. Cows have no idea what kind or how much mineral they need. They don't like the taste of most minerals, and won't eat it. The salt helps with consumption. gs

highgrit":1jn4kw3p said:
cowgirl8":1jn4kw3p said:

It's called herd management not luck. We use the same type mineral feeders ourselves. The mineral is the first or first line of defense, we also use fly tags and a spray.
Its the grasshopper invasion we got lucky on..Where we've been custom baling, there have been lots of grasshoppers. There were almost none on our hay fields. We've done nothing different so it has to be luck...

Deepsouth":1iazajjm said:
Don't mix salt with the minerals. If they are eating alot of it it's because they need it. As the minerals build up in their system they will eat less of it.
Our cows have mineral out year round. Just switched over to the fly control in Feb. A couple of the herds just eat too much of it, the salt controls it.

I believe that you make your own luck. We have to use salt so our cattle will consume the IGR or Rabon laced mineral. The real good mineral has very little to no salt mixed with it.

A very long time ago we fed protein laced with fish oil to keep them from eating too much, from what i remember the oil was a limiter...I took this further in my kitchen and only buy crummy corn chips. They are good the first couple chips but then i can put them down. I have chips to snack on so i'm not deprived of snacks, but i dont want to eat the whole bag..lol...like Doritos that i can eat till i vomit..

cowgirl8":1m9hfpkq said:
This is the first year we've used the mineral with fly control. Started it in Feb and have put it out religiously. This time last year we had flies bad, it was like a black cloud that followed our herds around.
This year, the flies are almost nonexistent. They do have a few at times during the day, but for the most they are almost fly free. I can go out and see no tails swishing.
Its not cheap. But, when you consider how much energy goes into fighting flies that we'll get our money back in pounds of calves at the sale. One herd loved this stuff so much that they would eat a bag in one day. So, i started adding about 1/3rd bag of plain salt to one bag of mineral. Worked to slow them down to what they should eat daily.
We also went with these home made feeders. Cost 10 bucks. Its not hard to find someone with old semi tires sitting around and the blue barrels cost 10 dollars. With all the monsoon rains we had, they stay amazingly dry. And with an added eyebolt, i can move them easily with my 4wheeler. They also have bolts sticking out of the barrel below the rim of the tire to keep the barrel in the tire...

Ho do you bolt them so they stay in the tire? I have some like this that I hang off of tree branches but have been looking at making a few that sit in tires.

cowgirl8":visttloh said:
Good job. Wish I could say the same thing about the grasshoppers. They are everywhere out here. May have to catch a few and go spend the day on the creek.

bmoore87":2gyi93vu said:
Ho do you bolt them so they stay in the tire? I have some like this that I hang off of tree branches but have been looking at making a few that sit in tires.
Husband used all thread rods and bolted them with 2 nuts where they stick into the tire but not much into the barrel..No way they can come out but can still move a bit...The horses turned one over and it was easy to set back and no mineral came out.
This is what sticks inside the barrel, all thread is longer on inside of tire.

And then another nut on the other side, not sure how much all thread he left....these nuts and all thread are galvanized and antique, they've been sitting around in a bucket for as long as i've been around. Husband said they got them from some dirt track bleachers when he was a kid. This bucket of nuts and sections of all thread have been sitting outside the barn and look just like the day he got them in the early 70s....He knew he had something he'd use them for, just didnt know it would take 40 years to find the project. Actually, he's used them in a lot of projects.....But i'm sure being exposed to salt will do them in eventually.....he has a big bucket left of them..

Agree that cows don't 'know what they need', and will not just consume that amount.
During winter, when we're limit-feeding hay/ddg, and the cows are standing around for 20+ hours awaiting their next feeding... they'll overconsume mineral like crazy, just out of boredom. I cut it 50/50 with white salt just to limit consumption.
However, during the grazing season, I wouldn't dilute my mineral mix - sometimes they go through it like gangbusters, other times it seems like they don't consume much for several days at a time.

I have one herd of around 50 that will eat a bag daily if i did nothing but put it out. I try to get enough salt to get them through at least 2 days. Half a bag was too much, 1/3 works pretty good...I'll have to add that its this herd who has absolutely no flies....lol...They better effin not..

so what is your definition of expensive? what are you paying for a 50 lb bag