Winchester Rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

I realize this rifle isn't a model 94. But was curious if any of you are familiar with the Model 1886 in the 45-90 caliber.
It shoots a black powder cartridge.

View attachment 13342View attachment 13343View attachment 13344View attachment 13345View attachment 13346
That old thing is dangerous to have around you should send it to me for safety!😜 45-90 was in the same line as 45-70. They also made a 45-120 IIRC. It was higher powered obviously and was used a lot by buffalo hunters. A truly fascinating piece of history you have there. Thanks for sharing.

That old thing is dangerous to have around you should send it to me for safety!😜 45-90 was in the same line as 45-70. They also made a 45-120 IIRC. It was higher powered obviously and was used a lot by buffalo hunters. A truly fascinating piece of history you have there. Thanks for sharing.
It's a bugger to clean, and you have to wait for the smoke to clear to see if you hit something. The kicks not bad, more of a good sold push.
Rumor/story is it came west with my ancestors in a wagon.

My mind isn't very good but wasn't the 30 they used in a Winchester later what became a 30-30?
I have 5 Marlins in 35 Remington plus Remingtons in model 14, 141, 8, and 81 all in 35 Remington. Not like the 30-30 at all.

.35 Remington

A throwback to the days when hunters packed a lever-action carbine for hunting anything from deer to elk and bear, the big honking .35 Remington offered a fat bullet – up to 200-grains – in a package with a low enough recoil to function in a small-framed carbine.

This combo has kept the cartridge, as well as rifles that use it, in production since 1908.

It was not a Marlin. It looked and was a lever action Winchester that looked like the modern day Winchester. I think it might have been one of the rifles that was sold to Russia and other nations. The sight may have been added by some one after it was purchased. I suspect the magazine could have been shortened. I do know it was not a 30-30. Whatever it was chambered for was a Remington cartridge might question my memory on this.

Trying to piece together what you have here .
it won't be a 1895. They were a top loader for Spitzer cartridges.

Winchester never chambered anything old in a remington cartridge. My assumption is that you're referring to it as remington because the box of shells were made by remington

Winchester did make some 35 caliber rounds. There was the old 351 auto loader and a 358 for the 1895. They are extinct rounds except to a few owners that reload like the 32-40.
I haven't seen a 351 since I was a kid.

Trying to piece together what you have here .
it won't be a 1895. They were a top loader for Spitzer cartridges.

Winchester never chambered anything old in a remington cartridge. My assumption is that you're referring to it as remington because the box of shells were made by remington
The rifle was definitely stamped for a Remington cartridge, I cannot remember the caliber. Been about sixty years ago when I had my hands on the rifle.

The rifle was definitely stamped for a Remington cartridge, I cannot remember the caliber. Been about sixty years ago when I had my hands on the rifle.
There were definitely old Winchesters in 35 Remington. I have two old Winchesters. One a model 94 and the other a model 64. They are both stamped 30WCF (30-30).
My Dad bought that model 64 when he was 14. I have the antlers from the first deer he shot with that rifle. And a picture of my Grandpa with that deer. I also shot my first deer with it. One of these days I am going to have to shoot another deer with it for old time sake.

The Russian Winchesters were model 1895's. That is the version that I've been look for for a long long time. Bid on a few online and always come up short. 7.62 x 54R cartridge is very close to a 30-30. The puzzle is coming together.
7.62 x54r is quite a bit more powerful than a .30-30. It is actually right between a .308 and .30-06. I got into Mosins for a while when they were dirt cheap. You could get a 1891 for $100. A M44 was $150. A 880 round double spam can was less than $200.

I realize this rifle isn't a model 94. But was curious if any of you are familiar with the Model 1886 in the 45-90 caliber.
It shoots a black powder cartridge.

View attachment 13342View attachment 13343View attachment 13344View attachment 13345View attachment 13346
Friends of my parents had that rifle. They were raised in Eklaka Montana which is in southeast Montana. Their grandparents had settled in that area not all that long after Custer got wiped out at the Little Bighorn. That would have been a wild and wooly part of the country back then. Probably still is to a degree today.

There were definitely old Winchesters in 35 Remington. I have two old Winchesters. One a model 94 and the other a model 64. They are both stamped 30WCF (30-30).
My Dad bought that model 64 when he was 14. I have the antlers from the first deer he shot with that rifle. And a picture of my Grandpa with that deer. I also shot my first deer with it. One of these days I am going to have to shoot another deer with it for old time sake.
Winchester never chambered a lever action in 35 Remington. Just didn't happen.

I am in the thinking stage of acquiring a Winchester Canadian Pacific Railroad Model 94 in 32 Winchester.
I don't have anything in .32 although I know some one who has an old loose 94 that is no longer used and a supply of ammo.
There is this bare spot on the wall and when I look that way it just bugs me no end.
There are some on the block down here but I would like to wrangle one from Canada just to keep it authentic. we'll see.....

I am in the thinking stage of acquiring a Winchester Canadian Pacific Railroad Model 94 in 32 Winchester.
I don't have anything in .32 although I know some one who has an old loose 94 that is no longer used and a supply of ammo.
There is this bare spot on the wall and when I look that way it just bugs me no end.
There are some on the block down here but I would like to wrangle one from Canada just to keep it authentic. we'll see.....
32-40 is nice shooter.

Latest posts