Winchester Rifle

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
May years ago I bought a Winchester 1894 lever action rifle for $35.
Never seen another like it. It was chambered for a 30 caliber Remington cartridge. It ha as the rear sight a elevation and windage sight. The sight was maybe 2 inches high and folded down and then up. You could slide the sight up for elevation and on each side there was two wings that would fold out. It was not very accurate. We decided that it had a smooth bore. My brother in law take it to a gunsmith sight to see if the bore might be re-rifled. Several months later I asked about it brother-in-law went to the gunsmith and the gunsmith swore he never brought a rifle to him Always wondered about this rifle. Any one ever seen one like I described.

You guys are in my treehouse now! I have one of the later model 141 Remington's made in 35 caliber. It will shoot where you are looking.
While 30 caliber Remington's will bring a good price the lack of commercial availability of ammo makes them a non-starter for me.
Over the years I developed an affinity for the Miroku Winchester . Never acquired a taste for the 1895 nor the opportunity to get an
1886 (45-70 of course) at a price I thought reasonable but I did manage to put Model 63 , 61, 73 , 82, 94 in various configurations
and calibers in the inventory. I am embarrassed to admit some of them have never had a round through them. It's just that when I
walk out of the house to look for meat I feel very comfortable with the 35 Remington. Now if my cows were as functional as the
141 Remington and looked like a Shot Show Winchester and we had someone in the White House of a different persuasion .........

After reading and thinking about the rifle. It was right at 60 years ago when I had it. It was chambered for a 35 remington cartridge. You would have to look real close or you might mistake it for a 30-30 cartridge. It also had a short magazine.

After reading and thinking about the rifle. It was right at 60 years ago when I had it. It was chambered for a 35 remington cartridge. You would have to look real close or you might mistake it for a 30-30 cartridge. It also had a short magazine.
Did it have a tubular magazine or feed from the top? If it fed from the top I would say it was a Model 8 Remington which would
explain the short magazine.

I realize this rifle isn't a model 94. But was curious if any of you are familiar with the Model 1886 in the 45-90 caliber.
It shoots a black powder cartridge.

IMG_1518.jpgIMG_1508.jpgIMG_1512.jpgIMG_1513.jpgIMG_1517.jpg

From the description and if it was a lever gun, your description of the rear sight and a short magazine, it sounds like a Saddle Ring Carbine (SRC). Probably a very early 92 or 94 with a shot out/worn bore from putting meat on the table year round. If it was a Winchester, I highly doubt it would of been in any Remington cartridge. Winchester would not put another manufactures cartridge name on their guns. The 35 Rem is a rimless case and quite a bit fatter that the 30-30. Its hard to confuse those two rounds.

It was not a Marlin. It looked and was a lever action Winchester that looked like the modern day Winchester. I think it might have been one of the rifles that was sold to Russia and other nations. The sight may have been added by some one after it was purchased. I suspect the magazine could have been shortened. I do know it was not a 30-30. Whatever it was chambered for was a Remington cartridge might question my memory on this.

The Russian Winchesters were model 1895's. That is the version that I've been look for for a long long time. Bid on a few online and always come up short. 7.62 x 54R cartridge is very close to a 30-30. The puzzle is coming together.

My mind isn't very good but wasn't the 30 they used in a Winchester later what became a 30-30?
I have 5 Marlins in 35 Remington plus Remingtons in model 14, 141, 8, and 81 all in 35 Remington. Not like the 30-30 at all.
Yes. The 30 w.c.f is what's commonly called 30-30 now.

Back in the time frame of this original rifle. Marlin and Winchester did not chamber their rifles for the other manufacturers cartridges. Competition was pretty fierce. Not sure what date that changed.

The 25-35
And 25-36 marlin
Are just one such example

Latest posts