Will this work???

Help Support CattleToday:

this stump was soft i broke it apart with my boot by putting some presure on the middle and pushing towards the outside - You can see herbicide was sprayed

If you look at the top of that rotted stump, you'll see a bug hole just off center. Pine beetle of some kind. They, ants, and termites eat the cellulose out of the stump, which makes it come apart. The 40'clock and 11 o'clock positions of that one will take the longest to rot--that's where roots were formed and it's harder wood. Another summer, and a bush hog will explode that stump into dust and bugs.

greybeard":1cq2port said:
If you look at the top of that rotted stump, you'll see a bug hole just off center. Pine beetle of some kind. They, ants, and termites eat the cellulose out of the stump, which makes it come apart. The 40'clock and 11 o'clock positions of that one will take the longest to rot--that's where roots were formed and it's harder wood. Another summer, and a bush hog will explode that stump into dust and bugs.

:nod: also wanted to add that in a few years when completely rotted it will be tons of land minds to break an ankle in.

I had 40 acres of saw logs cut 6 years ago . I waited 3 years and had a big hydro ax mulcher come in .actually me and a buddy bought it and sold it 4 months later after we both cleaned 40 acres a piece . It took me 3 days to clean that 40 acres the stumps looked lie sky's picture .. I paid a total of 1500 bucks in notes and diesel cleaning that pasture . As soon as the green sprouted i sprayed remedy and 24 d The next winter I unrolled Bahia hay for the cows . It needs another spraying now but it's pasture . Only problem is it needs to be plowed and leveled but te cows don't mind .

JSCATTLE":2c1lqv0y said:
I had 40 acres of saw logs cut 6 years ago . I waited 3 years and had a big hydro ax mulcher come in .actually me and a buddy bought it and sold it 4 months later after we both cleaned 40 acres a piece . It took me 3 days to clean that 40 acres the stumps looked lie sky's picture .. I paid a total of 1500 bucks in notes and diesel cleaning that pasture . As soon as the green sprouted i sprayed remedy and 24 d The next winter I unrolled Bahia hay for the cows . It needs another spraying now but it's pasture . Only problem is it needs to be plowed and leveled but te cows don't mind .
That really sounds neat to me. Coming from my life around equipment and dozing, hearing about what some of you have done to make pasture is interesting.

JS,

Which type of mulcher did you buy and how much was it? I'm getting ready to have some logging done and am trying to figure out how to clear it off. I looked into hiring out the mulching but it's really pricey. Seems like buying one to use and then selling it is a better idea. Did you wait 3 years to mulch so it would be easier to do?

Kyle

This would be my plan of action.

1. Cut all the trees and leave the stumps high enough to get a chain around. This will help with removal later, and really what difference does it make if you have a six inch stump or an 18" stump.

2. Clean all of the pine needles and twigs and crap off the ground as best you can.

3. Feed hay on this ground. Get the seediest big rolls that you can. Put up temporary electric and only give your cattle just enough room to stand and eat. You want them in there eating, stomping hay seed into the ground, and packing the entire place with manure and ground cover.

4. Once you get a little rain, a little warmth, and a little sunshine you should have grass start coming up in your stump field.

This has literally cost you nothing if you were going to feed the hay anyway. This way, if you want to level the pasture later you won't have wasted all the money of planting it first. The very last thing that I would do is spray anything on the ground. The cattle will take care of any weeds or brush that are growing now if you pack them in there tight. Once you get a thick layer of waste hay and manure packed onto the ground everything growing there will die.

In a few years you should be able to hook fast to those stumps and pull the most of them. You may want to start a compost pile now, and a big one. This way you will have plenty of good healthy soil to pack those stump holes in when they're ready for it.

I'm a fan of letting the animals do the work for me. It will take longer, but if you can do it for practically free then you are way ahead in the long run.

Latest posts