will she grow out of this

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Had a heifer calve yesterday evening - all went smooth. Had about a 70# heifer...only issue was another heifer (2years old & pregnant) started trying to nurse her and after that tried to claim the calf :bang: :bang: will the heifer grow out of this ? I don't want to sell her but prices are high and I don't want her ruining the bag on a heifer doing her job

:welcome:
I would at least separate her until she calves. It depends on how bad that you want to give here another chance after that.......She may quite. But she my not.

Just separate her. We all select for strong maternal traits and unfortunately we get some cattle a little more zealous than we like. When she has her own calf she will be a great momma! Mel

Waterway65":1pg6mjfn said:
Just separate her. We all select for strong maternal traits and unfortunately we get some cattle a little more zealous than we like. When she has her own calf she will be a great momma! Mel
Sucking another cow IS NOT a materal trait!

dun":1k55n9l6 said:
Waterway65":1k55n9l6 said:
Sucking another cow IS NOT a materal trait!

Agreed its as terminal as it gets.

jerry27150":28ngb82b said:
put a ring in her nose with 3-4 lengths of chain on it, have done it for years. when they try to suck the chain in in the way

Why bother - they work for you - not the other way around

The money she will bring will replace her or at least make life easier

We grow them to kill them - sounds like the best solution for this one.

Bez__

I know the prudent thing to do would be to ship her, but they do grow out of it, I guess about a 50/50 chance. It's a stupid PITA habit.. definitely separate her!, by how many miles is up to you!..

thanks for all the suggestions :tiphat: I was able to get the pair sorted off into another pasture ... the problem heifer isn't due until mid January of 2015. when I get a chance i'll try and upload a picture

jerry27150":5sokgbi8 said:
put a ring in her nose with 3-4 length of chain on it, have done it for years. when they try to suck the chain in in the way
Sold a yearling steer last fall. He was weaned three times, wore a ring and even separated him for the herd for five months. After united him with the herd, he went back to his old habits. I was happy when he hopped into the trailer.

I have a heifer doing the same thing. I have separated her for months. she will not quit nursing everything. she is 2 years old. I gave a lot of money for her as a yearling and the only way I can figure to regain most of the cost is to pack the freezer.

She won't stop--she'll suck on whatever she can when she gets the opportunity. Sorry.

Latest posts