Will roundup hurt cattle?

Help Support CattleToday:

Arkieman

Reaction score
Have a small pond for cattle. There is some kind of weed growing up in it pretty bad, thought of spraying it w/ Roundup. It's pretty thick and I don't think much of it would get in the water, but wasn't sure how toxic it was? Anybody have any info?

Roundup is not labeled to be used where it can get in water. I don't know about the cows but it will darn sure kill any fish or other critters in the water.

I sprayed some (cat tails) with round up in a pond last year. It didnt hurt our cows but they did have 3 ponds to choose from.
I dont know about the fish, i figured what little chemicals that did get in the water wouldnt be enough to hurt in that much water.

I would read the label and make sure, you might call your county agent he should know or be able to find out for sure.

Thanks for the replies.. It's a really small pond - no fish. I'll try to check w/ local ext office. I'm just afraid folks will be leery about giving this type of advice due to liability issues...

Rodeo has an aquatic label.

There are several others including 2,4-D.

Glyphosate products can be used.

Wouldn't worry about the cows.

Our local conservatuib department recommended using roundup (glyphosate) on a pond that was over grown with spatterdock. Worked great. The difference between roundup and rodeo is a surfactent in ther rodeo so it sticks better. We've used glyphosate on several ponds over the years to good effect and nothing happened to the fish. More of a problem of killing too many weeds all at once and that leading to a reduction of oxygen in the water that would affect the fish.
There's a company http://www.killlakeweeds.com that has a helpfull list and pictures of various pond weeds and algae. I don;t own the company so I'm not advertisng!

Haven't priced rodeo in years but when I did the other main difference was the price. 5 times that of roundup with the same amount of glyphosphate. Nevertheless, with a commercial applicators license, its not worth using any chemical outside its lable even if it is ... just roundup.

Dun, you are right. Its best not to spray mor than 1/3 of a pond at a time otherwise the decomposing plants will deplete the oxygen. (Of course, adding hydrogen peroxide to this would probably fix eveything. ;-) )

Jogeephus":2hhwghmf said:
(Of course, adding hydrogen peroxide to this would probably fix eveything. ;-) )

But then you might have elephants invading.

dun":azy88ow1 said:
Jogeephus":azy88ow1 said:
(Of course, adding hydrogen peroxide to this would probably fix eveything. ;-) )

Please excuse me for being dumb/non-observant, but where in the hell did all these references to elephants come from? :???: :?

msscamp":3qxl1ods said:
dun":3qxl1ods said:
Jogeephus":3qxl1ods said:

Please excuse me for being dumb/non-observant, but where in the be nice did all these references to elephants come from? :???: :?

Look up the hyrdrogen preroxide post. Someone was trying to sell it on the board and I could resist the temption. Seems it can cure cancer, footrot, and anything else. Just figured if it did all that, it must be applicable in this situation as well. ;-) Sorry, just couldn't help myself. :oops:

Jogeephus":2cmhozk8 said:
msscamp":2cmhozk8 said:
dun":2cmhozk8 said:
Jogeephus":2cmhozk8 said:

Please excuse me for being dumb/non-observant, but where in the be nice did all these references to elephants come from? :???: :?

Look up the hyrdrogen preroxide post. Someone was trying to sell it on the board and I could resist the temption. Seems it can cure cancer, footrot, and anything else. Just figured if it did all that, it must be applicable in this situation as well. ;-) Sorry, just couldn't help myself. :oops:

Yes, I read part of that thread. Thank you, Jo. No problem, I support what works! :lol: :lol:

Last Summer, I had let a bunch of willows get started on one of my pond banks and I sprayed them with roundup, trying to minimize the amount that got in the water.
Didn't kill the catfish that I've stocked in the pond, however I found several dead turtles throughout the fall and winter last year. I don't know if I had any thing to do with that or not.
I also noticed a lot less turtles devouring my expensive catfish food. At $16.00 a 50lb. bag I really don't won't to share.
By the way It did a real good job on the willows.
Dan

Latest posts