Will he make a bull?

Help Support CattleToday:

East Caney

Reaction score
Is this a good enough calf to make a bull? Or, should a person "cut" their losses and steer him?

He's a purebred beefmaster bull calf I saw while visiting Larry Buster's ranch in Oologah, OK.

DSCN0387.jpg

DSCN0389.jpg

As always, all opinions will be appreciated.

How old is he and who is he standing next to? he seems to be eary maturing due to his neck.

I think he looks good, but what matters is what you think...does he work for you and have what you like? donna

well if you dont cut him he will definitely make a bull. hes a nice calf with a lot going for him. as you know, beefmasters are tricky to tell about early on but he looks like hes doing good so far. if you can afford to grow him out you might consider that and see how his scrotal measures up. for me its just so much easier to go buy a good bull that is ready to go, when i need him, as opposed to investing a lot of time and money and energy growing out one that you dont know about. but whatever floats errbodys boat.

I would keep him intact for now, still have to see how his scrotum developes. The only thing I can really fault him on is his heartgirth

I have for sure seen a heck of lot worse passing down genes.

The only way to really judge a bull is by his calves. :)

that calf has herd stamped on him.he is a nice looking calf.how old is he.looks like he weighs 350lbs or more.whats his bloodlines.

How old is he ? 6-7 months ? He sure looks like a keeper to me.
He has a very nice underline. A little light in the heart girth,but that can change with age. I think over all he would be worth keeping. Beautiful animal.

This bull calf was 165 days old in this picture, about 5 1/2 months. This bull was sired by Lasater 3279 (Lot 5, 3rd 2-yr old in 2005 Lasater sale). The sire's ratios were (weaning 109, yearling 106). I don't have a good picture of his sire right now.

He's standing next to Lasater 2079 (pictured in another post). Here's another picture of him. He's a taller bull, probably weighs around 2100 lbs. His ratios amongst his contemporaries were (weaning 119, yearling 112)

Lasater20791.jpg

There's no doubt it this will make a herd bull he wont be the tallest bull around but thats how I like em. This bull calf would be as good as anybodys around.

Beefy":1jwu0jov said:
well if you dont cut him he will definitely make a bull. hes a nice calf with a lot going for him. as you know, beefmasters are tricky to tell about early on but he looks like hes doing good so far. if you can afford to grow him out you might consider that and see how his scrotal measures up. for me its just so much easier to go buy a good bull that is ready to go, when i need him, as opposed to investing a lot of time and money and energy growing out one that you dont know about. but whatever floats errbodys boat.

I think he looks good now, but Like Beefy says, when I need a bull I need one now. I don't want to spend the time and money growing one unless he's spectacular and so far we haven't had any born here yet.

I think this bull would be as good as anyone can buy when he is of age. I wouldn't mind at all holding on to one good enough until he matures regardless of circumstances because in the long run he will be of more value to you than he is now.

donnaIL":2yq0y46a said:
How old is he and who is he standing next to? he seems to be eary maturing due to his neck.

I think he looks good, but what matters is what you think...does he work for you and have what you like? donna
donnaIL-
I agree with the fact that any bull that a breeder uses must work "for him", and what is required for the improvement of his herd, but the real criteria in the selection of a bull which will influence your herd for the next 10 or 15 years ( think about it (!) is what the bull really IS! If what he IS, genetically and phenotypically, is sufficient for your LONG term requirements, he WILL work for you.

This bull lacks fullness in the heart girth, and will always be a little deficient in that respect, but considering that he is a Beefmaster, if his spring of rib and, therefore, his heart girth were deeper and wider, he might not work for YOUR current cow herd. Only you can determine that factor. And you certainly must consider that factor! Large heart girth and 'open' shoulders can cause dystocia. I would suggest you analyze his Calving Ease EPD, and his dam's calving record before deciding on whether to keep him for a breeder - or not. The entire process of bull selection and the reasons for selection - or not - is relative.

Knowledge is money!

DOC HARRIS

Doc,

I don't know the calves EPDs. I doubt his papers have been sent to BBU yet. BBU doesn't have calving ease EPDs, just BW. This calf is almost, if not 100%, Lasater breeding. He has years of low birthweight breeding in him. It's difficult to find bulls with birthweights over 80lbs being sold from the Lasater ranch. Interesting thought on hearth girth translating into dystocia. I knew course shouldered animals may increase that tendency.

In my opinion, this calf shows quite enough potential, right now, to be considered for making a bull. It'll be interesting to see what he turns into.

EC

East Caney,
Is this bull calf going to be at the Beefmaster sale on the 13th in Tulsa?

I like him. I want to make a small point here let me get my flame retarded suit on firts!!

These boards I would estimate that for every person who has been doing this for years and full of answers there are 500 guys/gals that are running 10-25 head in their 50 acres. Seems like sometimes the qustions are answered for someone who runs 500 head and are on some program and has all the support they need.

I won't breed junk but nor will I be paying 5 grand for a bull either, So point I guess I am trying to make is the majority of the people ask for help are just looking for some advice that works for them. I wish and am sure there are many more of us would love to have 500 head and everything. Heck I don't even have a sqeeze shoot nor a lot of thiings I need since toook what was left to use on an old farm. My pastures are marginal, the hay is marginal, equipment is also marginable but the effort to rotate pastures each week and making sure they are getting hay supliments. Our herd of 25 are doing just fine we breed them to the best Black angus within 50 miles each year.

I took 11 feeders and what was going to be my herd sire to a sale yesterday. The stupid bull didn't care about the electric fence when there was a field of alfalfa next to it. I could not believe the crap that came through the sale. I know the owner and she told me our feeders brought the highest prices , I was late getting there and missed most of mine. Note the prices were terrible and today I called two others I know and they said prices fell right out at their sales as well.

So try to keep in mind that when some of us ask for advice we are looking for a general overall opinion not picking at any little thing I think most are asking "will it be ok to put this bull on my gals".

Do appreciate the advice eveyone gives just sometimes I get more confused when someone answers a question than before.

I have read Storey's guide to raising beef cattle good book for those of you like me with a small herd.

mind235":1rh7p0i7 said:
I like him. I want to make a small point here let me get my flame retarded suit on firts!!

These boards I would estimate that for every person who has been doing this for years and full of answers there are 500 guys/gals that are running 10-25 head in their 50 acres. Seems like sometimes the qustions are answered for someone who runs 500 head and are on some program and has all the support they need.

I won't breed junk but nor will I be paying 5 grand for a bull either, So point I guess I am trying to make is the majority of the people ask for help are just looking for some advice that works for them. I wish and am sure there are many more of us would love to have 500 head and everything. Heck I don't even have a sqeeze shoot nor a lot of thiings I need since toook what was left to use on an old farm. My pastures are marginal, the hay is marginal, equipment is also marginable but the effort to rotate pastures each week and making sure they are getting hay supliments. Our herd of 25 are doing just fine we breed them to the best Black angus within 50 miles each year.

I took 11 feeders and what was going to be my herd sire to a sale yesterday. The stupid bull didn't care about the electric fence when there was a field of alfalfa next to it. I could not believe the crap that came through the sale. I know the owner and she told me our feeders brought the highest prices , I was late getting there and missed most of mine. Note the prices were terrible and today I called two others I know and they said prices fell right out at their sales as well.

So try to keep in mind that when some of us ask for advice we are looking for a general overall opinion not picking at any little thing I think most are asking "will it be ok to put this bull on my gals".

Do appreciate the advice eveyone gives just sometimes I get more confused when someone answers a question than before.

I have read Storey's guide to raising beef cattle good book for those of you like me with a small herd.
mind235-

I would like to respond to your post, and you don't need your flame retardent suit either!

I understand COMPLETELY your position in this wonderful business called "Beef Cattle Breeding." It is comprised of people from every walk of business, from the extremely wealthy to the young (or older) who do not have a pot or a window! Because this Beef Business is so complex and diversified, it takes a l-o-o-o-n-g time in getting to the physical and financial point of being able to START to do what your heart and soul really WANTS to do. It requires educating yourself in the pursuit and art (and it IS an art!), having enough money, or access to money, to function until you are established, the will and drive to press on during the tough times, and the EXPERTISE to determine what will be a successful protocol for your particular unique circumstances.

One way of looking at this situation is to realize that the gestation of a cow is about 9 1/2 months, give or take, and that you can't really determine with any degree of certainty what the potentiality of her calf might be for another five to seven months. All during this time, she/they require care, housing, feed, Veterinarian attention (probably), and pasture space to subsist and, hopefully, be a posssibility for a profit for you. BUT - no guarantees! Hogs, sheep, rabbits and rats all require much less of EVERYTHING mentioned above - especially TIME! Time is one of the prime factors which is not forgiving, nor changeable in the Beef Business.

With rabbits, you can have several litters per year, and very quickly determine if your breeding program is working to your satisfaction. You don't have that luxury with beef cattle! ....and because education and knowledge is IMPERATIVE for the success of your enterprise, most of us on the Board are in accord with your problems, and THAT is why we do (or try to do) EVERYTHING that we can to give hou a SMORGASBORD of information from which you can pick, and choose, and select, and clutch to your bosom - OR discard because it won't work for your operation. That has to be YOUR decision, but at least WE have laid out the table and offered it to you for your perusal! To answer YOUR question, "...will it be okay to put this bull on my gals?" - - WE really hesitate to say, "Heck yes - dive right in and go for it!!" That particular bull might work in 98% of the cases, but he just might be a disaster in YOUR particular case, with your particular cows, and we don't want to be responsible for YOUR failure. YOU have to make that decision. All that anyone else can do is to point out the reasons, both large and also picky, that we observe.

Don't worry about getting confused. I am attempting to understand this #$*%# new Vista Computer I have had for a month or so, and my son, (who has been a Computer Programmer-Manager for 40 years!) looks at me with eyes that say "Dad - what the heck is the matter you?? I thought that you knew EVERYTHING!" Well, of course, I DO know everything, but - - - ->

Anyway, mind235, hang in there, and try to understand OUR point of view. It takes some effort on your part (AND a LOT of effort) to really get comfortable with learning about this wonderful BEEF BUSINESS. Large herd or small herd, the principles are the same.

But it is better than Hogs, Rabbits and Rats - and I have been there and done that, too!

DOC HARRIS

Doc, Thanks for the response. I completely understand what your saying. In a nut shell I just sold a bull that the only thiing the farmer could tell me was his sire was probally at McDonalds and his dam is in the pasture (I know own her). No epds or sos or anything other than he looked right and being in a small farming town everyone hears everyones business and I had them all out looking at the bull. They actually pulled him out at the sale and they usually don't do that unless 900 + and he was 700. Sold him because I was concernedd about a car wreck he was smart enough to realize the alfalfa field just on the other side of the fence was mighty good.

Had I put this bull picture out even though everyone here wanted him to breed their heifers next summer with him I most likely would have had doubt since someone always finds faults on here. I guess the bull myself and the local guys here would be thrilled to have maybe a steer for others gere with big fancy herds. But I bet that with this bull 85% + would loved him but if someone thought he had "the man" and posted it and when some find fault with every thing it would spook a guy with snall herd.

Like you say it takes a long time, lot's of work, and much cash and if they were confident with this animal but got spooked they may be running ouit of time and actually get something worse.

Anyway enough on that all I was trying to poiint out was the guy with 5-30 head look at things totally different.

I just shed my $ 800 Armani suit and my corner office to come slip on manure, get kicked in the knee, have a heifer kick a shovel that landed right in my neck but you got to love it.

It's funny we went to auction yesterday and got almost if not the best prices for our feeders and the guy that I am leasiig from they were his. Now don't forget that he got best prices. He never picks up bail twine, never vacimates anythiing,no suplimental except some hay, no worming, flies get so bad I can't get next to the animals, noneof the barns have been cleaned since they stopped doing dairy here 3 years ago manure 3 feer high some places. He has never had to pull a calf, only lost 2 one to a blue chevey van and 1 to a longhorn some guy put in the pasture a few years ago.

I was setting up some charts earlier tonight to keep every bit of info I can find so I can build a good database to improve what I have. I just bought the bulls dam since she was so good with him and she has been bred back and I bought a heifer from the bulls sister. The whole line he has white tagged are all low birth weights and great milkers. He never gets around to weaning anything takes work but I pulled the heifer in a stall about a week ago (thank god mom stopped bawling) but with hay and pellets I would bet she has put ojn 3 pounds a day. There was no stress she started eating as soon as she was in the stall and dinner bell rings she is at the table. Got a steer in with her it's the guy I am leasiing from kid for 4H so I can help him but the heifer gets to eat first she makes the man wait.

talk about time and money I was trying to figure something out the other day. I want a 12 count herd unless my son moves up here now then I want 25-30. But it is amaazing putting it on paper how long just to get to a 12-15 herd and that is with luck and very few steers.

Anyway thanks I watch this forum, read books, read university test results, and other web sites so I am trying to improve my herd the best I can with the knowledge and cash I have.

You want to come hold these gals for me when vet comes no chute and I neeed a preg check and vacs and worms on all

I only had time for a quick glance and he passed the quick glance qualification test -- if there is such a thing. It consists of 1. he has a thick rump 2. he has some length 3. his calves probably won't kill a heifer

Latest posts