Will cattle go the way of hogs?

Help Support CattleToday:

ddg1263":21u5butb said:
Frankie, I can not believe you are taking up for those thieves. It plainly states that they have huge margins in the beef packing houses.

I'm not taking up for anyone. I'm just pointing out that your post was a one sided missive from R-CALF.

The price paid to U.S. cattle ranchers in May 2009 for raising a Choice beef steer from birth to about 18 months of age was approximately $1,059. Consumers, however, who purchased the Choice beef after the packer slaughtered the animal, paid about $2,168 for the meat.
(18 month old cattle are cattle coming out of the feed lots)[/quote]

And this means what? So the cost to raise a calf was high. So were the salaries of people who got the calf from weaning to the consumer. You've got lots of transportation, death loss, wages, insurance, overhead to come out of that $2,168 (if indeed that's an accurate price. And, frankly, I don't trust R-CALF.)

Now if you can not make it on those margins, it is not because market conditions are against you. In corporations you can accelerate depreciation, salary out heavy wages to slim down your bottom line. But when we are talking about a stable income stream such as the food supply and then still have an operating profit of over 100%, it is UNREAL... The only reason they won the second case is because they are claiming it was due to natural market conditions that they made so much money. They fully admit to making a boat load of money, and they realise that many farmers are going out of business because of it, but what they are saying is that it is just because of natural business cycles are causing the increase in profits.

There are tax breaks for the producer, too. Many people wouldn't be in the cattle business if not for those tax breaks. Are you suggesting ranchers should be subsidized, like grain farmers? I certainly hope not.

OK, now I never heard of a second lawsuit. I understood the packers lost the case in a jury trial and won the appeal. Am I missing something?

I want to add that Tyson foods have operations beyond cattle.... so I am sure they are spreading out losses incurred from other ventures where they are establishing footholds. I know losses in chicken facilities were big last year.

Yes, they have other operations and many cattle producers have second jobs, too. So what's your point.

This is plain for everyone to see. These packers are putting farmers out of business, how long do you think this will continue before the food supply is disrupted? It is probably why it caught the attention of the government because if you can not feed the citizens of you have big problems on your hands. It is not like the bail out of the banks where they can print more money. You can not print a calf crop.... The people in the packing house should be ashamed. By the way I sold a nice load of calves the other day for an average of little over 300 dollars. I want to see anyone produce good looking Angus for that little of money.

Why would the packers want to put cattle producers out of business? Where will they get their inventory if we all go broke and stop raising cattle?

If you work for the packing industry, you need to communicate to them in the most direct way to stop squeezing the farmers out of business.

I don't work for anyone except myself. And don't show up too often for work there, either. :D

ddg1263":tfvptlyq said:
I also need to add that we sold a load of goats and they brought more money than my calves. People have made fun of me ever since telling me I need to be in the goat business. Now you tell me would you rather eat a goat or a black angus steak? it is unreal!!!! Why are there not more of the big money guys involved into solving this problem? Someone, somehwere needs to stand up for this injustice.

Gardiner Angus did get involved. They helped form and finance a program called US Premium Beef. You might look into it. R-CALF had the opportunity to get into the packing business when the nice updated Future Beef packing plant went on the market. They didn't offer to buy that plant and go into the meat business. I wonder why?

US Premium Beef: http://www.uspremiumbeef.com/

Point i had in mind was that 5Rivers cattle is owned by a major packer. So at least one of the major packer does feed cattle on a large scale.

Frankie I am shocked at reading your reply. What you have said really sets me back in my hope for the cattle industry from the producer side. I had no clue that people would be so tolerable to a business that took that much money out of the final product. You know you read these board and we see people talk about how they cut back by using tractors that have a bit of age on them, and trucks that probably need to be replaced. Also they are using land that they are not counting in the expense of raising that beef which every other business in the world counts. How far could they stretch that extra 500 dollars a head on their cattle if they had a chance to use it instead of sending it down the line to fill the pockets of the rich packers? And you are standing up for them when they have admitted to making those margins in black and white.

I'm not taking up for anyone. I'm just pointing out that your post was a one sided missive from R-CALF.
My post is one sided and it is on the right side which is what is fair.

You are taking up for the packers. This is a huge injustice and it is putting people out of business, and taking food off the table of hard working men and women. These men and women have no voice or at least the voice they have is not speaking up for them at all.

And this means what? So the cost to raise a calf was high. So were the salaries of people who got the calf from weaning to the consumer. You've got lots of transportation, death loss, wages, insurance, overhead to come out of that $2,168 (if indeed that's an accurate price. And, frankly, I don't trust R-CALF.)
I think you have lost perception of what we are talking about. These farmers have lost money. They got no salary, but paid someone to take the cattle off their hands for working an entire year for free or even better yet in the hole. You quickly point out these expenses

1. Transportation- this is a one time cost for the packer because the producer/feedlot already paid the cost to get it near the packing house.

2. Deathloss. The figure that they are quoting, 1059 dollars, is the price in which the packing houses were buying the cattle from the feedlots. The death gain from their purchase is 100% because as soon as they bought them they killed them. So the farmer takes about 500 to 600 dollars and the feedlot guys got about 400 dollars the rest went to the packers. The feedlots and the producers were the ones who took the expense on the deathloss.

3. Wages- to get a cow cut up at a local butcher cost about 250 to 350 dollars. Killing fee is about 50 bucks. 350 dollars typically covers the processing fees. I would imagine a guy with the right equipment could cut up to 2 animals a day if he worked hard. Like I said hard work but nice wages.

4. Insurance and overhead –The butcher pays that all day long in their $350 dollar fee.

5. Marketing expense is the expense you left out. And final marketing of the beef at the local market should be counted, but 200 bucks should cover that generously.

There are tax breaks for the producer, too. Many people wouldn't be in the cattle business if not for those tax breaks. Are you suggesting ranchers should be subsidized, like grain farmers? I certainly hope not.
You are not suggesting that the cattle producing business exists only for those who can afford to take
tax breaks are you? I do not know about anyone else, but I want right –ons... not right offs. I am doing everything I can to make money and the consumer is paying full price for the product and the money is in the pockets of the packers. So if you subsidize the farmer, all that you are doing is enriching the packers more and keeping the farmer in business. No there is plenty of money to go around, it is just that the producer is the one getting hit.

OK, now I never heard of a second lawsuit. I understood the packers lost the case in a jury trial and won the appeal. Am I missing something?
The appeal is sometimes referred to as a second suit. You understood perfectly and there is not a second different suit but a continuation of the original claim.

Yes, they have other operations and many cattle producers have second jobs, too. So what's your point.

My point is that the losses incurred by these corporations did not come in the beef side of the business but in their other interests. I assure you that showing a gross margin of over 100% is not going to translate into a per share loss at the next stockholders meeting.

Why would the packers want to put cattle producers out of business? Where will they get their inventory if we all go broke and stop raising cattle?
This is the point I am driving to. They are putting the cattle farmer out of business. I know many that are getting out. Bez+ just told you that he cut his heard back to what he and his neighbours can eat. The packers drove him out of business. It will get worse if they do not pay attention to what is going on. I am sure we can import beef from other countries but why in the world would you want to destroy one of the last production businesses in America left. We can't manufacture anything else why put the farmer out of business!
Gardiner Angus did get involved. They helped form and finance a program called US Premium Beef. You might look into it. R-CALF had the opportunity to get into the packing business when the nice updated Future Beef packing plant went on the market. They didn't offer to buy that plant and go into the meat business. I wonder why?
My quarrel is not which program is the best. I am for giving a man a fair day's wages for his work. Weather you are the producer, feedlot guy, packer, trucker, or even the final seller. The consumer is still paying retail and there is enough money to go around. I just do not like to see one segment of the market get so greedy that it undermines the remaining components. People have to make a living including the producer. And just because you control the market, it should not give you the authority to money whip another segment of the market out of business.

This has been an interesting thread. I'm one of the part time cattlemen with an off-farm income. I look for the cattle to supplement my income. It looks as though it costs me more to raise cattle than I am making from them.This is after paying no rent on family property and property I own. It looks to me that a person with a high off-farm income who uses that money to supplement his cattle operation is the only one able to survive. That person can invest in his cattle operation to offset his taxes. I'm not paying a big tax bill so it is not to my advantage. I am simply looking to make extra income off my cattle.

By the way I sold a nice load of calves the other day for an average of little over 300 dollars.

anyone selling calves for $300 probably has more immediate concerns to be addressed than worrying about how much money packers make. if i sold calves for $300 i'd be looking at my own operation before i worried about somebody elses. the closer you can get your cattle to the plate, the more of that big money you can keep for yourself. put simply, someone is making cattle bigger and then processing them. the bigger you can make them, or the more you can process them, the more you get to keep.

ddg1263":2uqmg2zy said:
Frankie I am shocked at reading your reply. What you have said really sets me back in my hope for the cattle industry from the producer side. I had no clue that people would be so tolerable to a business that took that much money out of the final product. You know you read these board and we see people talk about how they cut back by using tractors that have a bit of age on them, and trucks that probably need to be replaced. Also they are using land that they are not counting in the expense of raising that beef which every other business in the world counts. How far could they stretch that extra 500 dollars a head on their cattle if they had a chance to use it instead of sending it down the line to fill the pockets of the rich packers? And you are standing up for them when they have admitted to making those margins in black and white.

My post is one sided and it is on the right side which is what is fair.

You are taking up for the packers. This is a huge injustice and it is putting people out of business, and taking food off the table of hard working men and women. These men and women have no voice or at least the voice they have is not speaking up for them at all.

I think you have lost perception of what we are talking about. These farmers have lost money. They got no salary, but paid someone to take the cattle off their hands for working an entire year for free or even better yet in the hole. You quickly point out these expenses

1. Transportation- this is a one time cost for the packer because the producer/feedlot already paid the cost to get it near the packing house.

2. Deathloss. The figure that they are quoting, 1059 dollars, is the price in which the packing houses were buying the cattle from the feedlots. The death gain from their purchase is 100% because as soon as they bought them they killed them. So the farmer takes about 500 to 600 dollars and the feedlot guys got about 400 dollars the rest went to the packers. The feedlots and the producers were the ones who took the expense on the deathloss.

3. Wages- to get a cow cut up at a local butcher cost about 250 to 350 dollars. Killing fee is about 50 bucks. 350 dollars typically covers the processing fees. I would imagine a guy with the right equipment could cut up to 2 animals a day if he worked hard. Like I said hard work but nice wages.

4. Insurance and overhead –The butcher pays that all day long in their $350 dollar fee.

5. Marketing expense is the expense you left out. And final marketing of the beef at the local market should be counted, but 200 bucks should cover that generously.

You are not suggesting that the cattle producing business exists only for those who can afford to take
tax breaks are you? I do not know about anyone else, but I want right –ons... not right offs. I am doing everything I can to make money and the consumer is paying full price for the product and the money is in the pockets of the packers. So if you subsidize the farmer, all that you are doing is enriching the packers more and keeping the farmer in business. No there is plenty of money to go around, it is just that the producer is the one getting hit.

The appeal is sometimes referred to as a second suit. You understood perfectly and there is not a second different suit but a continuation of the original claim.

My point is that the losses incurred by these corporations did not come in the beef side of the business but in their other interests. I assure you that showing a gross margin of over 100% is not going to translate into a per share loss at the next stockholders meeting.

This is the point I am driving to. They are putting the cattle farmer out of business. I know many that are getting out. Bez+ just told you that he cut his heard back to what he and his neighbours can eat. The packers drove him out of business. It will get worse if they do not pay attention to what is going on. I am sure we can import beef from other countries but why in the world would you want to destroy one of the last production businesses in America left. We can't manufacture anything else why put the farmer out of business!
My quarrel is not which program is the best. I am for giving a man a fair day's wages for his work. Weather you are the producer, feedlot guy, packer, trucker, or even the final seller. The consumer is still paying retail and there is enough money to go around. I just do not like to see one segment of the market get so greedy that it undermines the remaining components. People have to make a living including the producer. And just because you control the market, it should not give you the authority to money whip another segment of the market out of business.

In my experience most ranchers are ranchers because that's what they want to do. They go through tough times, but hang in there. It's a difficult life; many youngersters don't want to step into Dad's shoes and carry on the business. They'd rather go to town and get a job. That's a fact of life. Much land is more valuable as housing developments than ranchland. That's a fact of life.

I don't want some agency deciding if "there's enough money to go around." I don't want some agency deciding what's "a fair day's wages." If someone wants to work for "wages", they need to be working for someone else, IMO.

You may be shocked at me and that's ok, but you need to understand that R-CALF lis not especially popular in this area. One year we were listed as members, even though we never joined. I didn't like that at all. Someone had "given" us a free membership. I think that's dishonest and it's colored my view of R-CALF ever since.

You throw out figures as to what meat sells for and what the producer gets without regard for the different ways of marketing. People who sell direct to the public get more than you're claiming. Were those figures included? People who retain ownership get more than you claim. Were those figures included? Where did the figures come from? Reference/Source? Mike Callicrate has his own meat business. Surely he does better. Cattlemen do have choices. Nolan Ryan, Nebraska Corn Fed Beef, US Premium Beef....there are several groups of cattlemen who have banded together to promote and market their cattle. And some of them have done well. But R-CALF seems to simply wants a cut of the packer's profits.

About alliances: http://agecoext.tamu.edu/fileadmin/user ... /rm1-9.pdf

List of alliances:
http://beefmagazine.com/mag/beef_alliance_listings/

Edited to add this link: http://www.agmanager.info/livestock/mar ... da.prn.pdf

Well I knew I was selling them light, and I would have gotten a discount. My price on the calves was in the 300 dollar range so many that sold probably were 350 to 375 net to me. I had some 700 pound heifers that sold for 500. I had one decent mama cow 1k lbs that sold for 460. I had pulled my bull and she was not bred. All of these were Black Angus and in great shape. Yes I should have kept them all until they were all at least 600 lbs, but I really needed the grass for my remaining herd and I had a hay field that I could not use this year, so I will have to buy hay from an outside source. All this took place about 4 weeks ago when future prices were at 103 on the day of the sale. You know when you look at your operation and see the major expenses; hay has got to be a big consideration. Fertilizer prices are high and bailing cost is not cheap. And if you have to buy from a local guy they will want as much as they can get to make up for the losses in their own operation and then you have hauling expenses on top. So I am doing everything I can to be lean and mean to weather the times we are going through. I run a tight operation with good stock. We AI, if that give you an idea that I am not skimping on quality. I am going to market my beef another way, but I do see the barriers that limit profitability for the cattle farmer.

I think the biggest thing about it all is that I am sick of hearing the poor ole farmer talk about how you have to operate dirt cheap in order to break even under their books when I know that they are being money whipped by the conglomerates. Yes you have to love the business to be involved in the business, but that only goes so far. When you see the strength of foreign operations increasing when our own ranches are disappearing and the packing plants are making a killing, it should be clear to all no matter what program you are in.

As far as my numbers on the packing profitability, they came straight from that article. If I were estimating, I would think that the gross sale of a cow at the retail market is closer to the 3,300 range (which is what I have seen in the past from other articles). However, I used their confirmed figure to make sure I did not overstate what I was saying. I have an idea that Tyson foods gross sales are the 2100 dollar figure, and the retail market is on top of that. I am sure there are variations of what I said about what the farmer got and what the feed lot guy got. I bet many farmers received in the range of 500 for their calves, and the feedlot guys got 559 to make up the 1059 figure. And I am not saying that some did not receive a wee bit more than that, but this is what the court documents revealed. And those figures I am sure were discovered under deposition under oath. So Frankie you can believe the article if you do not believe me. This is the information that the packers admit to, and I did not pad one penny.

I had no idea that R-CALF was even trying to do anything about this injustice. I figured it out many months ago when I asked every cowboy I could find what they got for the sales of their product all the way down the line (stopping at the packing industry part) to see why the cattle business was so bad. What everyone told me added up to one thing… the money was in the packing business. Those people were not telling me a tale, and I had several sources from many different angles that were telling me the same thing. It was just that everyone was saying it was bad in the beef business. However, I knew better. Wal-Mart sales were stronger than ever in the face of the biggest down turn in American history. And if you look at prices in the meat counters, they were not giving discounts to the end user. Publix, Winn-Dixie, and even Sams were still getting decent prices for their beef, and the customers were lined up. This article verified what I had already figured out. I do not know about the R-CALF program, but I do know about money and where it goes especially when I am not getting enough to cover my expenses. I am not against anyone who wants to help out the poor cattle farmer. So if R-CALF is our voice, then I am all aboard to helping them yell the loudest because there are a ton of people that need someone to speak up. I am sorry that you are so content about the situation.

Latest posts